PLAYER Payne Haas

when does the timer for the play the ball stat start though? because what most of us here are arguing is pain runs into the defensive line get sstopped then proceed to use his huge body to intch our 3-5 more metres slowly up field.

Then he just refuses to ever find his front. he insisted on standing in all tackles which can be good sometimes but it seriously slows down any momentum we have once we are in there zone.

For such a big unit he needs to do so much more to be commanding the dollars he wants.

We would be mad to offer him 1 million a year now when he only really has one element of his game.
You give him 1 million now what sort of money will he bas asking for once he becomes a more complete player like jt13?

Just madness that any fan or media think he honestly deserves to be on that kind of coin.
800k max is all i would pay for the player he is now and even then im not to comfortable with it

This offload thing is one of those things that just gets repeated enough that people believe it. He offloads just fine for a prop, he just doesn't push dumb ones and is more conservative with when he throws them.

View attachment 19556
These are the 2022 stats, only Flegler offloads more.
On season stats out of the forwards, he easily has the least penalties, the least missed tackles, the least errors (per minute), the highest tackle count, the most tackle breaks, the most line breaks , the most runs, most metres and most metres per run.

And that's with two busted shoulders for most of this year. The guy's a freakish talent for his age. In 3 years time he'll only be better.

His slow PTB is over stated, I'd say he's right in line with most props, there's a time to drop to the ground quickly and he'll learn that with experience but his average is perfectly fine. He obviously attracts more defenders but that's an advantage that can be used with smart attack. Last 3 games PTB speeds of our team.

View attachment 19557
View attachment 19558
View attachment 19559

Without opening the can of worms that is Kennedy, he's consistently excellent in PTB speed yet he's often overlooked for Palasia who is much worse in that area.
Play the ball speed isn't the issue. Teams put three players on him then get back into their defensive line while the others hold on and he makes an extra 3 metres. His play the ball speed is fast because he's often standing but the entire defensive line is already set and waiting for the next play.

Regarding his offloads, if he is drawing in more defenders because of those post contact metres he should be looking for the offload more often, because it's on more often. There are more opportunities to offload that he doesn't take. So right now all he's doing is padding his stats for no real benefit.

Remember, we're talking about NRL players here.. you know, the ones who somehow routinely become the victims in the wake of their foul-ups ?
Maybe I am getting old, but this seems to be a generational or maybe maturity issue. Always someone else's fault. The whole "haters gonna hate" deflection and refusal of self-reflection. It seems like a very American personality trait, IMO, but I think it is more just immaturity.
This wouldn't be the first case of a manager being highly influential towards their client, surely this has happened many times before. You see it outside of footy as well, a person might prefer one thing but someone close to them tries to push that person towards something for their own more selfish benefits while trying to convince that person its what's best for them. Its what makes a successful businessman.
Reminded me of the grubby managers in the "Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen Movie. Pushing Freddie into making contract decisions to leech off of them and their benefits.

If I'm Brisbane I'm putting a rocket up Paynes ass before Friday.

Put it all on the table and tell him if you want a pay rise then earn it and show us you deserve it.

You're coming up against Melbourne and i want you to dominate their pack and inspire and lead the rest of our pack. Melbourne have the wood over us so if you're a million dollar player you need to be the one who changes that.

You'll be expected to play 65 minutes and lead from the front. Show us what you have.

Making 200 meters a game and 40 takles is fine for your current wage but if you want a million a year you've gotta add something new to your game.

Just saw Tallis has written an article saying basically this same thing...

This offload thing is one of those things that just gets repeated enough that people believe it. He offloads just fine for a prop, he just doesn't push dumb ones and is more conservative with when he throws them.

View attachment 19556
These are the 2022 stats, only Flegler offloads more.
On season stats out of the forwards, he easily has the least penalties, the least missed tackles, the least errors (per minute), the highest tackle count, the most tackle breaks, the most line breaks , the most runs, most metres and most metres per run.

And that's with two busted shoulders for most of this year. The guy's a freakish talent for his age. In 3 years time he'll only be better.

His slow PTB is over stated, I'd say he's right in line with most props, there's a time to drop to the ground quickly and he'll learn that with experience but his average is perfectly fine. He obviously attracts more defenders but that's an advantage that can be used with smart attack. Last 3 games PTB speeds of our team.

View attachment 19557
View attachment 19558
View attachment 19559

Without opening the can of worms that is Kennedy, he's consistently excellent in PTB speed yet he's often overlooked for Palasia who is much worse in that area.
Payne plays very safe, makes next to no errors but offers few surprises. Whether you find that boring, comforting or frustrating is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, my needle points towards frustrating. I think he's capable of more creativity with the ball in hand. He has the talent and he expects to be reimbursed in line with those skills.

In my opinion, Patty has massively overtaken Payne's value over the last few months, and if I had to choose between Payne and Flegs, I'd go with the latter.

Can we like Tallis again now?

Gordie was always cool. I disagree with his opinion that Payne wouldn't have a position in Union. He'd kill it there, once he figured out what props are meant to do in scrums. Which is stand around and scratch their nuts waiting for the ball to come back from the stands, most of the game.

Gordie was always cool. I disagree with his opinion that Payne wouldn't have a position in Union. He'd kill it there, once he figured out what props are meant to do in scrums. Which is stand around and scratch their nuts waiting for the ball to come back from the stands, most of the game.

Nah ...
Scrummaging in Rugger is a different beast . They actually push in their scrums . And Props are groomed from childhood . They need to do extensive training and conditioning for their neck and spine to deal with the forces of 15 other men pushing and twisting on them .

If the team runs out of props they forfeit the scrums because it is too dangerous to put a noob in there .

Maybe a number 8 or blindside break away ,not mobile enough for the inside backs like SBW , not tall enough for 2nd row .

Nah ...
Scrummaging in Rugger is a different beast . They actually push in their scrums . And Props are groomed from childhood . They need to do extensive training and conditioning for their neck and spine to deal with the forces of 15 other men pushing and twisting on them .

If the team runs out of props they forfeit the scrums because it is too dangerous to put a noob in there .

Maybe a number 8 or blindside break away ,not mobile enough for the inside backs like SBW , not tall enough for 2nd row .

They spend 99% of the game fighting over whose ball it is and then when they get it the five-eighth kicks it out on the full and the crowd erupts.

They spend 99% of the game fighting over whose ball it is and then whey they get it the five-eighth kicks it out on the full and the crowd erupts.

Yeah yeah .
But the few minutes they do actually pack a scrum it`s deadly serious . Lots of dark arts involved in scrummaging .

One thing I like about Union was if you deliberately knock down a pass to stop a try / break you got sent off !

One thing I didn`t like was if there was a spectacular back line move and during it the ball got passed forward they would turn a blind eye and call it running rugby . LOL .

Dunno I went to a State school .
There were no Grammar schools where I grew up .
The only Rugby we knew , was League . Union was some game from the capital cities played by people with hyphenated names .
I played it at school, city club, uni, country club and various rep teams. Some games I barely touched the ball or had to tackle because it's all fartarsing around.

I played it at school, city club, uni, country club and various rep teams. Some games I barely touched the ball or had to tackle because it's all fartarsing around.

AH HA !
Now it is revealed . Do you own a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows ?
Or were you the RM Williams boots , mole skin pants and chambric shirt brigade ?

Ever played union?

It’s a brutal game for the forwards, scrums are spine injuries waiting to happen.

Nah , like I said I went to a Qld state school .
There was no Rugby Union only Rugby League in those days. I understand the dangers of Union scrums . Plenty of people have injured spines from scrummaging .

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Big Del
  • BruiserMk1
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.