Where is our salary cap going?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
With the talk of our cap on other threads, just wondering where everyone thinks we are spending our money currently.

I believe the cap is currently $9.1 million, and at a guess, i'd say Bird, Boyd, Milf, Gillett, Sammy, Oates, Kahu,Moose, Glenn and Macca are taking up around maybe $6 million to 6.5 million of it. Doesnt leave a great deal to play with for the rest of the squad.

Whatever is going on with it, clearly we have a fair few players on overs if those are the names we have in our 17 and are struggling to retain juniors.

We all know Boyd is overpaid, so there's one. We know Thaiday has played on way too long for the sake of the payday, Kahu is probably commanding about 500k+ as a NZ international and spends most of his time on the couch (so it's hard to notice his value), Gillo is no doubt on a fair quid as a rep star but he's worth it you would argue, Bird is about 700k over what he's actually worth so that was a costly **** up, if Glenn is on anything over 400k he's on big overs, I like Macca's worth ethic but if he's on anything more than that amount he's on overs....

I've gone on about how bad our recruitment and retention has been plenty in the past, and that isn't about to change if the likes of Oates, Haas and Su'A walk away. Now that Hunt is in Sydney, we basically just gave away Taylor to the Titans and now we're stuck with Nikorima who is a 40 minute strike utility at best. It is just shocking how poor that aspect of the club's operation has been and it must change.

For mine the path forward is obvious:

Thaiday retired > Haas retained

Kahu offloaded or Bird "compassionate release" > Oates retained

Glenn offloaded > Su'A retained

jesus christ the amount of hate glenn on this forum is unbelievable. he is not the problem, neither on field or off it.

sua is 20. he can bide his time another year or two by which time glenn is 31 and yes it is reasonable to say thanks for your service good luck in the future.

for the sake of this conversation, i'd get rid of thaiday (already going), bird (i wanted him but it doesn't look like it's working out, he's taking a big slice of the cap and arguably we don't need anymore with the rise of tpj), sims, taga, kahu (again I like the guy but he's really only a winger, hasn't shown anything at centre and he's perenially injured unfortunately) probably lodge, if he doesn't want to take unders (totally understandable considering he's got a bill to pay) and nikorima (unless he's happy to be paid as a bench utility because that's all he will be)

and boyd of course. again nothing against the guy but he's not worth the money he's on and he isn't adding much value to the squad from an onfield performance perspective (i'm not privy to what he offers off it) - although, I don't know who would replace him at the back because we're not exactly flush with backs at the moment.

Actually I'd prob keep taga as i doubt he's on much and its good to have an old head around the squad.

I originally heard $700,000 a year which seems about right, was a bit of hype about him at the time so he would have commanded decent money, not earning it at the moment obviously as he’s looking quite Barba-esque.

If Bird wakes up and realises his best position is centre, then 700k is fine. He strikes me as having the ability to be a harder version of Jamie Lyon who was the cornerstone of Manly's attack at centre.

Take flight, Birdy. You chose the wrong club (or as has been the case recently, the club chose the wrong player).

If Bird wakes up and realises his best position is centre, then 700k is fine. He strikes me as having the ability to be a harder version of Jamie Lyon who was the cornerstone of Manly's attack at centre.

Still stand by this?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Maddy
  • Jedhead
  • Footy Fanatic
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.