Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Sproj

Sproj

International Captain
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Look, the club is a mess, we all know that but let's start doing something constructive.

Let's say we can influence the club, what do you suggest for 2021?

Who replaces Paul White?
Who is coach?
Who are you bringing in for the money the club now has from the Fifita-fail and Boyd's retirement?
If you want to get creative, what are you doing with Milf's or Bird's money?
What else is needed?
Who are you bringing in?
Who are you re-signing?

Don't feel you have to answer every question, let's just give the club some food for thought. This thread isn't for pining and rubbish like 'sack Pies' with nothing else added. Let's keep it constructive.

Dong forget the board also needs a complete overhaul.
Ben Ikin as CEO
Kevin Walters as coach with Parker as an assistant.
Lock up Dearden, Staggs, Coates and Farnworth long-term.
Kahu and Boyd off the books with the hopes of releasing Milford, Oates, Bird and Isaako.
Open cheque book for a 2yr Cam Smith deal + guaranteed assistant role once he retires.
Anything less is a failure.

Last edited:
1562763427 Kevin Walters Getty 960x540

Ideally we could get Cameron Smith in a deal
like the Lions has with Hodge, except Smith is still playing top shelf footy. That would revolutionise our side, the young guys would be awestruck and learn how to be winners.

I know it’s a pipe dream tho.

Dong forget the board also needs a complete overhaul.
Ben Ikin as CEO
Kevin Walters as coach with Parker as an assistant.
Lock up Dearden, Staggs, Coates and Farnworth long-term.
Kahu and Boyd off the books with the hopes of releasing Milford, Oates, Bird and Isaako.
Open cheque book for a 2yr Cam Smith deal + guaranteed assistant role once he retires.
Anything less is a failure.

Probably best we dont sign up players on long term contracts with our track record.

Last edited:
I saw someone mention elsewhere trying to bring in Tony Rudolf and I couldn't agree more. He has been montrous in this game right now, I believe he is commited to sharks however. (RE: Replacing Fifita)

I also see alot of people mentioning Harry Grant. He is a great great player not doubting that, but why are we so quickly giving up on Turpin who we all heralded as fantastic when he was first blooded? I think we are missing him immensely this season. Paix has been very solid also, and if he isn't going to play 6 he and Turpin could be a very good combo at 9 and 14 imo.

We need a 1 and to figure out who our 6 is going to be. If its someone at the club now, imo its Paix partnering Dearden. As for 1, no idea. I think this is where we may need to spend.

Coach... well I think we may need to move on Green or Walters. I dont love either option, but Kevvie is Broncos through and through, and if him being back lets some of the old boys feel welcome back at the club, and he can bring Hodges/Parker etc back in around the playing group then thats a win for me. You know what you are getting with Green, maybe he would be better with our younger players? Seems to love working with old teams though. I dont see any other coaching options other than these 2 and keeping Seibs.

As for the board, they just need to rid them all and start again..

Last edited:
Why bother with Smith on a big short-term deal? I doubt even he could make this team a contender, and if he stood down from Origin duty for fear of tarnishing his rep, he's not exactly going to jump at the chance to come here.

Run hard at Grant instead, but failing that get a marquee signing somewhere in the spine. Find a veteran half to pair with Dearden. Get in a strong defensive assistant coach. Get a head coach with at least half a clue.

I mean, it seems pretty easy...

Last edited:
Wouldn’t ruin the club like your mate White has.

yeah we might actually be broke by now with Ikin, instead of flourishing (off the field)

ex footy players are never a good idea to run a club unless they are also successful businessmen ... just look at all the examples that happens when NSW clubs do it.

and telling one of your best players repeatedly to take the money and run is not my idea of how a potential CEO should act. and would also make it hard when he has to negotiate contracts in the future. when say Hass gets a massive offer from a rival and we want to keep him but either can't or won't match it ... hell even the stupid player managers could easily take advantage of that

I think the club needs to rethink it's development strategy. The salary cap doesn't reward development. You stand a far better chance of having the best players in your team if you wait until a player is 19-21 to ensure they have the talent. Who cares if spending millions on juniors and development gets you fans, fans and support and growing the game does not win you premierships...

For 2021:

Who replaces Paul White?

Michael Kasprowicz. Good business sense. Just recently resigned from CA board and knows what it is like to be an underdog.

Who is coach?

Anthony Siebold.

I’m in the minority, but I think he is a good coach. He is learning like our young players are. We should stick with him, but I can also see a case for him going.

Who are you bringing in for the money the club now has from the Fifita-fail and Boyd's retirement?

I would have made a play for Ryan James, but he is going to Canberra. We have a lot of flash in our forward pack, so need some grunt. Maybe Adam Elliot or someone similar.

If you want to get creative, what are you doing with Milf's or Bird's money?

I’m keeping Bird and hoping he can play a full season. Mild is playing for a contract at another team.

What else is needed?

Must have Paix as starting hooker!

Who are you bringing in?

Look to develop young players in 2021 and make a big splash for 2022 from Nov 1 and hope we get those players early.

Who are you re-signing?

Farnsworth.

Why should he tell the player to stay? He isn’t affiliated with the Broncos at present and it his job to get people to watch his show by being as impartial as possible and I think he is.

ceo-ribot hates the nsw centric comp more than anyone and wont cop no shit
gm of football-bellamy,im sure after he stops coaching he would be keen to get back to qld with a less time intensive job to be around family.
coach-walters with parker and hodges assisting

as for signing couldnt even tell you who is off contract but id be looking for a fullback first and a solid left center

Why bother with Smith on a big short-term deal? I doubt even he could make this team a contender, and if he stood down from Origin duty for fear of tarnishing his rep, he's not exactly going to jump at the chance to come here.

Run hard at Grant instead, but failing that get a marquee signing somewhere in the spine. Find a veteran half to pair with Dearden. Get in a strong defensive assistant coach. Get a head coach with at least half a clue.

I mean, it seems pretty easy...

I get all that. But imagine the narrative. You get to leave The Storm in great hands and also turn around the club you supported as a kid. $700K a year is bette than nothing in retirement.

I saw someone mention elsewhere trying to bring in Tony Rudolf and I couldn't agree more. He has been montrous in this game right now, I believe he is commited to sharks however. (RE: Replacing Fifita)

I also see alot of people mentioning Harry Grant. He is a great great player not doubting that, but why are we so quickly giving up on Turpin who we all heralded as fantastic when he was first blooded? I think we are missing him immensely this season. Paix has been very solid also, and if he isn't going to play 6 he and Turpin could be a very good combo at 9 and 14 imo.

We need a 1 and to figure out who our 6 is going to be. If its someone at the club now, imo its Paix partnering Dearden. As for 1, no idea. I think this is where we may need to spend.

Coach... well I think we may need to move on Green or Walters. I dont love either option, but Kevvie is Broncos through and through, and if him being back lets some of the old boys feel welcome back at the club, and he can bring Hodges/Parker etc back in around the playing group then thats a win for me. You know what you are getting with Green, maybe he would be better with our younger players? Seems to love working with old teams though. I dont see any other coaching options other than these 2 and keeping Seibs.

As for the board, they just need to rid them all and start again..

Toby was brilliant for Redcliffe and he is a really good bloke and positive character. I think he is staying at the Sharks for family reasons.

In regards to Turpin, he is a decent hooker, but he isnt anywhere near close to a Grant or B.Smith. I love his attitude and how he goes about things, but i as i keep saying, his biggest asset last year was he wasnt Macca.

Coach is a tricky one. Its either a risk again on an up and coming coach ( Fitzgibbon or Ryles ), a left field gamble on somebody like Wane, or we are back to one of Green, Walters or Toovey imo.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.