Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Why talk about 2nd as a failure when we are running 2nd last. I'm not advocating for green as I think he had an all time great in his team for a number of years that should have led to greater success over the long run, but I'd take a a couple of top four finishes (let alone grand finalists) any day of the week. Coaches get stuck with injuries and suspensions that mean they miss out on the big prize despite being excellent at their job.
I'd look to consistency first with the way the team performs. Of course that can mean different things depending on resources at their disposal. Look at holbrook at the titans, or toovey at manly and tell me they are bad because their teams were mediocre. I'd take either of them in a heartbeat.
You just know with a bit of luck and a better roster they could take their team places. Despite what people say, I think there is the core of a very good side with what we have got.
It's not there yet but it's not as far away as people think. Some direction and a sense of purpose can make seemingly ordinary players look very good.
The thing that puzzles about siebolds is how he unlocked cook at South's as classy hooker but has been so dreadful so far here. I wonder if he would have been better as a long term assistant coach, left with a distinct, important part of the picture rather than given the whole show.
It sad to think about, because as much as I want him gone, they may the kernel of a good coach (perhaps as an assistant only) in there that has been overwhelmed, much in the same way a great captain like marshal Ney, made a terrible general for napoleon. Sometimes strategy is lost to micromanaging tactics.
I was commenting on the all time sports chokes comment 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I am 99.99% sure that Ben Ikin will be CEO at the Brisbane Broncos come the end of the year.
Even the smirks he has given the last few nights on 360 when it has been quickly brought up.
I think it was last week after the AGM meeting he rattled off some figures, it made it look like he was privvy to a fair bit of information. Sure, he could have just done a bit of research, but I think there was more to it.
Looking from the outside in, he looks like a good fit. Financially, I’m not sure how he’d go, but to be honest, I could not give a flying ****. White has shown great financial benefit to the club but has made some horrible decisions at senior level which has lead to a lot of on field drama and extreme lack of success.
Ikin has a good footy brain. He certainly has been able to talk a lot of reason as to what is going wrong at the Broncos, but of course it is a totally different story to act on those comments.
I have no doubt whoever comes in as CEO will be given a fair bit of power starting at sacking the coach and appointing a suitable replacement.
Ikin lately has also been pushing Cam Smith to Brisbane, which is something hopefully he would make a priority if he was given the role. Sure it may not eventuate, but much like the Titans, we should just give Smith a package that he simply cannot refuse. 12m 1.5m deal + assistant coaching role once retired.
Hopefully Ikin can get some culture back into the join, bring the good/liked old boys back, and really get us back to where we should be.

Badel's latest campaign. Not the worst idea.

Screenshot 2020 07 28 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Queensland Cou

Excerpt (fair use):

"For more than five minutes, Broncos halfback Brodie Croft and injured hooker Jake Turpin stood on field with Storm players, laughing, chatting and cuddling like they were at a Melbourne 20-year reunion. It was embarrassing. Who cares if Croft and Turpin once played at the Storm. After a 38-point loss, with Brisbane in 15th place, Croft and Turpin should have been gutted, retreating to the Broncos sheds to lament the latest slice of humiliation they keep serving up to their fans and club legends who won six premierships. Can you imagine Smith accepting such a pitiful performance? Can you imagine Smith shooting the breeze with any rival players if his side had been beaten by 38 points? It simply wouldn’t happen."

McHunt

Last edited:
I'd give Smith 2m for a year if we had the cap space for it. He's that good that at any price he'd be worth it. 1 year contract with guaranteed assistant coaching position. It would be very hard for him to knock back an extra 1m in the retirement bank, and an assitant coach position on good money to sweeten the deal.

Last edited:
Been saying for a couple of years that buying him for a year or two and then transitioning him into the coaching staff / eventually head coach is the absolute best plan possible to get us back to greatness.

Talk about people who could lure talent to the club... If he can convince referees to give his side penalties, he can convince players to play for us.

Just offer Smith and Bellamy 2 million each or something.

Whatever it takes to end this.

Watching Locky talk about Fifita on the Sunday Footy Show, I think Fittler asked him if they were looking around for recruits and Locky had a cheeky smirk and was about to say something along the lines of "we've got some targets" but sort of changed tact very quickly as if he isn't supposed to talk about it. I wonder if a potential Smith move is bubbling away in the background. If anyone could get Smith, it would be Locky.

Last edited:
I think going to market now with the intentions of buying marquee players will backfire. The Broncos don’t buy premierships... And anyone we target now in our current state we’ll pay overs for. We don’t have a bad side... If we can catch a break with the injuries and get our culture and coach situation sorted out next season we’ll turn it around. When this side works hard and gets results on the back of effort and pride in the jersey, we’ll attract marquee players and have the cash to make the moves we need to make.
For me, we should have a crack at Alex Johnston for next season because Boyd’s gone, Milfs fucked, Birds going home and Niu isn’t ready. If Niu is committed he needs to go into the centre with Staggs ( where his team needs him at this stage, and he can work for the 1 and earn it).
Backs could be:
- Fullback- A.J
- Wings- Coates/Farnworth
- Centres- Niu/Staggs
We have forwards, but if we needed a bit more experience I’d have a crack at Mitch Aubusson. Chooks have told him he’s not needed but I think he’d still have something to offer. Or Asiata...
This group is capable of turning shit around so if the management is smart, they’ll get this side firing by any means next season and earning the respect that this team used to command and then go to market with a war chest and set up for the next 10 years.

Are people thinking he would do this for us because of the Brisbane living factor?
Genuine question as I’m sure Melbourne would be offering a similar role for him after footy wouldn’t they?

Are people thinking he would do this for us because of the Brisbane living factor?
Genuine question as I’m sure Melbourne would be offering a similar role for him after footy wouldn’t they?

They'd be crazy not to. I cannot see him leaving the Storm/ Melbourne but i guess you can always ask.

Smith for player coach leading into full time coach, there I said it.

Y’all been thinking it, don’t deny it.

I've been thinking it for many years too, back when I thought Smith was close to retiring. Then he just kept playing on. I can see him playing until maybe even 40. He's done a great job at protecting his body, doesn't run or get tackled much (but still dominates with his service and kicking game). Probably why he retired from Origin, so he can squeeze even more years of NRL footy.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • broncoscope
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • Astro
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.