Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Sunshine Coast Storm chairman Matt Tripp:

“Cameron is contracted until the end of the year. At some point in the next month or so we will attempt to either renegotiate a contract for Cameron as a player or we will try and arrange something for him whereby he will remain committed and part of the Melbourne Storm in some capacity for hopefully many years to come. First and foremost I would try and convince him to stay. He is so important to our club. Whether that’s in a playing capacity or whether that is being one of the coaches, sitting on our board, there are many options for Cameron in terms of what he may do. All of those options to my mind involve the Melbourne Storm and certainly not a Queensland club.”

McHunt

A life of Pies:

“Of course, it is something we would consider but it is a really long bow. Would he add something to us? Could he add something to us? Of course he could. Cameron would add something to any team he is a part of."

"I worked with Smithy for five years at club level and rep level so I do have a really good working relationship with him. It is not something I have spoken to Cameron about or he has spoken to me about. A little bit of experience would be something to add to the group, going forward. I am not sure how long he wants to play for but Cameron would add not only experience but leadership and quality on and off the field to any organisation or any team, whether it is any rep team he has played in or any club team.

“He has been part of the Melbourne Storm his whole career so I wouldn’t think that Cameron would move away from the Storm to finish his career. But any player that comes onto the market that we think could add something would be a consideration for us. We don’t have a bucket-load of money to go out and buy different players. A little bit of experience would be something to add to the group going forward but it (chasing Smith) is not something we have spoken at length about yet.”

McHunt

Sunshine Coast Storm chairman Matt Tripp:

.......... All of those options to my mind involve the Melbourne Storm and certainly not a Queensland club.”

McHunt
Melbourne Storm, the 'certainly not a QLD club filled with Queenslanders'

The Sunny Coast Storm are just too well run to let Cam leave for Brisbane and Cam seems far too smart for that also, what could he possibly do at the Broncs next year to enhance his reputation? And the dollars should be flowing at both clubs.

I thought last time Brisbane had a crack at recruiting him it was a bad decision due to his age.... how wrong that view turned out to be, what an amazing stayer in the game, kind of like Tom Brady in the NFL, amazing athletes with complete dedication to their sport.

How is it that seibold has worked with cam for so long and still hasn’t learnt how to coach?
It was something that baffled me also, I was thinking that he can't be as bad as the results we are seeing... I kept on waiting to see some planned attacking plays, patiently..

Might be as simple as Pies rising to his level of incompetence, the Peter Principle. Perhaps at the Rabbits he had awesome coaching support around him? Questions... Questions...

It was something that baffled me also, I was thinking that he can't be as bad as the results we are seeing... I kept on waiting to see some planned attacking plays, patiently..

Might be as simple as Pies rising to his level of incompetence, the Peter Principle. Perhaps at the Rabbits he had awesome coaching support around him? Questions... Questions...
I’ve always judged a coach by how they look in defence, effort levels and how he uses his bench. He literally ticks none of those boxes.

the current thinking on this subject is; he might be a lot like Paul green in terms of player/coach relationships

Green had a very experienced team around him with a on-field general like JT. Probabaly didnt really need to do too much, just work around the margins and let the experienced core do their jobs

Now put Green into a rebuilding team like the Cows had been for the last few years....its not a good fit..

Souths were good 2 years ago; Siebs was the coach......there HAS to be something of substance here with him...surely to God...

Is he just another Paul Green type...?

LOL

Screenshot 2020 07 29 Chris Garry  ChrisGarry7 Twitter

I believe we shouldn't let Bird leave, yes he's had some bad injuries but was looking really solid at fullback in the trials and was obviously getting 1st crack. Bird could be exactly what we need in a fullback good footy brain and skillful. Let him play his final year and see if he can be worth his price tag.

Bring Smith in as coach and bye bye Seibold. If he wants to kep playing, like Luke Hodge he can stand in at 5/8 and Dearden at 7, Turpin at 9.
The only off contract player that make sense for us to sign anyways. Let him be coach/player - first of its kind, the egomaniac will love it but its a win-win for us too.

Been saying for a couple of years that buying him for a year or two and then transitioning him into the coaching staff / eventually head coach is the absolute best plan possible to get us back to greatness.

Talk about people who could lure talent to the club... If he can convince referees to give his side penalties, he can convince players to play for us.
We have the original Cam Smith - Darren Lockyer, and he hasn’t helped get us anyone except Milford.

If Cameron Smith stays at Storm next year we need to sign Brandon Smith or Harry Grant, we need to offload Milford and bird(but its not worth getting rid of bird if it's anything less then the 50% of his contract).

Then we need a 6(i personally would be fine with Staggs at 6 and then buy a experienced centre as it will be cheaper to do this).
Staggs has a decent kicking game that hasn't been utilized yet and should be in a position to get more ball.

Last edited:
Every night this week on 360 they have had sly mentions about Ikin becoming Broncos CEO, I know its been mentioned previously but its obviously gathering steam

Every night this week on 360 they have had sly mentions about Ikin becoming Broncos CEO, I know its been mentioned previously but its obviously gathering steam
Is it gathering steam or are they just taking the piss...

Is it the same shit where broncos leak to see how palatable it is with the public... ala Lodge for captain... and now they're just laughing their asses off that the broncos would even consider it

Is it the same shit where broncos leak to see how palatable it is with the public... ala Lodge for captain... and now they're just laughing their asses off that the broncos would even consider it

As far as I am aware, he hasn't denied it.

And the coach has a great working relationship with everyone apparently...except they don't work well with him. So, he meant to say, he has a grate work(ing on having a) relationship with people (and not usually successful).

You think that Ikin would be laughing along at his own expense?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • HarryAllan7
  • Lurker
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • Hoof Hearted
  • winslow_wong
  • Jedhead
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • phoenix
  • Justwin
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • Fatboy
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Broncorob
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.