Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Was always going to happen. Papa is a huge part of their team and he seems to love the place.

Absolutely, which is why he tried hard to persuade Milford to stay.

Last edited:
We legitimately aren’t going to make any signings until we settle on a ceo and a coach. And by then every other team would have signed the only players worthwhile. **** this whole situation has well and truely fucked us for years

We legitimately aren’t going to make any signings until we settle on a ceo and a coach. And by then every other team would have signed the only players worthwhile. **** this whole situation has well and truely fucked us for years
This we haven't even appointed either position. Any player even considering going to another club would want to know the situation first hand before even considering it, even more so for a club facing the wooden spoon and with a stack of internal issues to boot. As for "shopping" Milford and other players around. That is at best speculation and until evidence is provided I wouldn't hold your breathe, up there with the empty promises from the club after the finalise massacre of 2019 that they were serious for change. Believe it when you see it.

Last edited:

next year perhaps, but ive said this a few times; our window is 2021 off season. Be smart about it and we will arguably have the most available cap space in the league.

And there are far more players available then that we definately may need than there are right now...

So, maybe a year or mediocraty, but then....things can turn around quickly you know....

I thought I read on here at least (via @1910), that Nolan as GM of Football was responsible for recruitment and retention management, and he has made such decisions in the past. Whether that was in consultation with the then coach I don't know. I assume it was done with board and CEO approval, however, I don't see that not having a new coach should stop the club from recruiting new players. Ideally, those decisions should be made in consultation with the coach, as well as the CEO and board, but we don't have the luxury of new faces there yet. Still, is that a necessary impediment to recruitment now?

Given the shit that has gone down about our recruitment and retention decisions, surely lessons would have been learned about list balance at least

I thought I read on here at least (via @1910), that Nolan as GM of Football was responsible for recruitment and retention management, and he has made such decisions in the past. Whether that was in consultation with the then coach I don't know. I assume it was done with board and CEO approval, however, I don't see that not having a new coach should stop the club from recruiting new players. Ideally, those decisions should be made in consultation with the coach, as well as the CEO and board, but we don't have the luxury of new faces there yet. Still, is that a necessary impediment to recruitment now?

Given the shit that has gone down about our recruitment and retention decisions, surely lessons would have been learned about list balance at least

although, many players would be reluctant to sign until they know who the coach will be

although, many players would be reluctant to sign until they know who the coach will be

Yes, good point. Still, worth a try if someone really useful is available

This we haven't even appointed either position. Any player even considering going to another club would want to know the situation first hand before even considering it, even more so for a club facing the wooden spoon and with a stack of internal issues to boot. As for "shopping" Milford and other players around. That is at best speculation and until evidence is provided I wouldn't hold your breathe, up there with the empty promises from the club after the finalise massacre of 2019 that they were serious for change. Believe it when you see it.

An alternative view is that a club with our proud history and tradition, and with players like Haas, Staggs, Carrigan, Farnworth, Dearden, even TPJ on the books and who, presumably are staying on because they love the club (so it seems) would be a persuasive argument to join such a quality roster. As well, this is the Broncos, and, the only way for us is UP.

Nolan makes it with White, Lockyer and the coach as the list management team. Problem is no one will commit to you without a coach and no point signing people and then the coach comes in and hates the signings.

And everyone always talks about the coach 'building his roster' or 'not having the roster he wants'.
Imagine signing players on 2-3 year deals just weeks before signing your coach, and the coach doesn't want those players? It would set you back years.
But I also agree that we can't wait around or the guys you want might sign elsewhere.
The only thing that makes sense is signing a coach now, and getting things going, otherwise 2021 just becomes a wasted year.

And everyone always talks about the coach 'building his roster' or 'not having the roster he wants'.
Imagine signing players on 2-3 year deals just weeks before signing your coach, and the coach doesn't want those players? It would set you back years.
But I also agree that we can't wait around or the guys you want might sign elsewhere.
The only thing that makes sense is signing a coach now, and getting things going, otherwise 2021 just becomes a wasted year.

It already seems like 2021 will be a wasted year regardless unless an unexpected signing becomes available of a gun hooker or fullback.

An alternative view is that a club with our proud history and tradition, and with players like Haas, Staggs, Carrigan, Farnworth, Dearden, even TPJ on the books and who, presumably are staying on because they love the club (so it seems) would be a persuasive argument to join such a quality roster. As well, this is the Broncos, and, the only way for us is UP.

I agree with Foordy, hard to sign a player of note when you can't let them know who the coach is or who their boss will be with any certainty. Hell, if players read the media, which no doubt they do, they wouldn't even know who their teammates are going to be next year with all the articles about Bird, Milford, Offa, Croft etc being listed as on the outer.

Imagine accepting a job not knowing who your direct manager is, who the general manager is or who you will be working with, not the best position to be in...

I also think our proud history and tradition means less than we think to the average 20-25 year old player, they weren't even a teenager when we last won a comp and wouldn't have the fond memories of the glory days like us supporters have. Any team can list similar players that you have listed as well so is hardly a point of difference, other than maybe Haas and Staggs we have no top 5 position type players to sway recruits.

I think our biggest strength in recruiting is the lifestyle and celebrity glamour the club still holds vs. every other club including the Roosters, unfortunately that can attract the wrong type of player.

I agree with Foordy, hard to sign a player of note when you can't let them know who the coach is or who their boss will be with any certainty. Hell, if players read the media, which no doubt they do, they wouldn't even know who their teammates are going to be next year with all the articles about Bird, Milford, Offa, Croft etc being listed as on the outer.

Imagine accepting a job not knowing who your direct manager is, who the general manager is or who you will be working with, not the best position to be in...

I also think our proud history and tradition means less than we think to the average 20-25 year old player, they weren't even a teenager when we last won a comp and wouldn't have the fond memories of the glory days like us supporters have. Any team can list similar players that you have listed as well so is hardly a point of difference, other than maybe Haas and Staggs we have no top 5 position type players to sway recruits.

I think our biggest strength in recruiting is the lifestyle and celebrity glamour the club still holds vs. every other club including the Roosters, unfortunately that can attract the wrong type of player.

Fair points of course, and as I acknowledged in relation to @Foordy's post.

However, I cannot agree with you, and Foordy about an inference that our future should be based on our present, and recent past, given the very public furore about that, the clamour for big changes, that wholesale changes are needed urgently, a broom to sweep out the old, for a new future, one which is proposed, and proposed on the public record: new coach, new CEO, possibly a new GM of Football, or at least a review of that role, and, quite possibly, either a new board, or at least, a different perspective towards the future by the existing one.

For mine, it is a question that the old will very soon be consigned to history. That is what is relevant here, on this point. Lessons look like they have been learned.

I would venture that any player on the market would be aware of that, and would not simply make decisions on the present and a recent past which looks very much like it will change in the very near future. This is the Broncos, a club which will no longer tolerate anything but the best.

And I still maintain that it is a ringing endorsement of our club that players like those I listed are staying on (although we haven't yet signed Herbie for 2021 and beyond and should ASAP).

Last edited:
Fair points of course, and as I acknowledged in relation to @Foordy's post.

However, I cannot agree with you, and Foordy about an inference that our future should be based on our present, and recent past, given the very public furore about that, the clamour for big changes, that wholesale changes are needed urgently, a broom to sweep out the old, for a new future, one which is proposed, and proposed on the public record: new coach, new CEO, possibly a new GM of Football, or at least a review of that role, and, quite possibly, either a new board, or at least, a different perspective towards the future by the existing one.

For mine, it is a question that the old will very soon be consigned to history. That is what is relevant here, on this point. Lessons look like they have been learned.

I would venture that any player on the market would be aware of that, and would not simply make decisions on the present and a recent past which looks very much like it will change in the very near future. This is the Broncos, a club which will no longer tolerate anything but the best.

And I still maintain that it is a ringing endorsement of our club that players like those I listed are staying on (although we haven't yet signed Herbie for 2021 and beyond and should ASAP).

Last edited:

Active Now

• Battler
  • Spike
  • ChewThePhatt
  • NSW stables
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.