Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Nolan makes it with White, Lockyer and the coach as the list management team. Problem is no one will commit to you without a coach and no point signing people and then the coach comes in and hates the signings.

Fair point too. Agree, however at the same time, if say hypothetically, a player like Papa was interested and we signed him before the new coach was appointed, I doubt that a new coach would hate that signing. Look, I get what you are saying. I just think there are exceptions to every rule. As well, as posted above, despite my error about Herbie not re-signing, we have in fact secured him and without having signed a new coach. That is the type of player we need most, one who has genuine love for what the Broncos stand for.

id be happy to look inwards next year; i believe the answers to a number of our long term issues are already here...

I remember Renoufs first few years with us....Staggs is taking a almost identical path to him...

Unstoppable in attack, but the defence is a significant issue....same as Pearl....

Well, we fixed Renoufs defence here.....no reason why we cant do simlar here with Staggs...

We also have a number of young edge forwards who havent played this year yet (Riki only now has..)

With one eye on 2022, lets find out next year what we have here so the money spent in 2021 off seaosn is maximised...

Thats not too much to ask is it..?

id be happy to look inwards next year; i believe the answers to a number of our long term issues are already here...

I remember Renoufs first few years with us....Staggs is taking a almost identical path to him...

Unstoppable in attack, but the defence is a significant issue....same as Pearl....

Well, we fixed Renoufs defence here.....no reason why we cant do simlar here with Staggs...

We also have a number of young edge forwards who havent played this year yet (Riki only now has..)

With one eye on 2022, lets find out next year what we have here so the money spent in 2021 off seaosn is maximised...

I agree. The building blocks are there but the gaps are the glue that we need but don't have. Some bricks are always not ready to join the building, they need to be scaffolded in by some stop gaps.

For example of what I mean:

READY:
Farnworth
Staggs
Isaako
Kennar
Carrigan
Haas
Dearden
Glenn
TPJ
Flegler
Riki (for bench only)
Kennedy (as bench / 18th man)

QUESTION MARKS:
Lodge (Because of injury)
Turpin
Milford
Joffa
SOS
Bird (purely because of injury)
Luke
Palasia

NOT YET READY:
Bullemor
Paix
Coates (needs a big off season and could join ready group)
Niu
Walsh
That 18 year old kid who has a nice highlights video
Piakora

OVER THE HILL / GONE / NOT GOOD ENOUGH:
Teo
Boyd
Fifita
Hoppa
Croft

THE BIG ISSUES:
Depth
Journeyman Level Depth and Age
Fitness
Coaching
Laziness
Fullback
Hooker
Forward Leader with Experience
Solid First Graders
Conditioning
Attitude

Yeah I tend to agree, I think most of the guys will be better next year, another year older, another off season to prepare and a fresh hopefully uninterrupted start.

Who would you guys be looking at for these positions that are not nailed down yet:

2. Coates
3. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

15. Flegler
17. Riki

Obviously these guys go in there but the question is where:
Farnworth
Lodge
TPJ
Oates

Who would you guys be looking at for these positions that are not nailed down yet:

2. Coates
3. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

15. Flegler
17. Riki

Farnworth
Lodge
TPJ
Oates
Based on what is already at the club ad assuming no injuries/suspensions/off field issues i'd fill the gaps with:

1. Isaako/Niu - whoever impresses the new coach most in pre season and Isaako does allow us to drop kick further than 30 meters
4. Bird - He is a rep quality player and the footy Gods owe us at least 1 season of him
5. Farnworth - Let him get used to playing NRL on the wing before moving to centre
6. Milford - Still the best 5/8th at the club (unfortunately) and one more chance under a new coach to play for his career. Next contract should be vastly reduced though...
9. Turpin - picks himself with what we have
10. Lodge - See Turpin
12. TPJ - One of the few point of difference players we have, similar to Milf, clean slate under the new coach
14. Luke or McCullough (last season for either of them)
16. Oates

Last edited:

2. Coates
3. Staggs
7. Dearden
8. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
13. Carrigan

15. Flegler
17. Riki

Farnworth
Lodge
TPJ
Oates

At a minimum:
Paix for Luke
Trial Herbie at FB along with Niu and Isaako
Kennar on one wing
Bird at lock (I've changed my mind - we need a ball playing lock with a step and lots of energy like Patty, but who doesn't keep stepping back into the middle all the time.)
Carrigan to prop, for mine his best position

Last edited:
Based on what is already at the club ad assuming no injuries/suspensions/off field issues i'd fill the gaps with:

1. Isaako/Niu - whoever impresses the new coach most in pre season and Isaako does allow us to drop kick further than 30 meters
4. Bird - He is a rep quality player and the footy Gods owe us at least 1 season of him
5. Farnworth - Let him get used to playing NRL on the wing before moving to centre
6. Milford - Still the best 5/8th at the club (unfortunately) and one more chance under a new coach to play for his career. Next contract should be vastly reduced though...
9. Turpin - picks himself with what we have
10. Lodge - See Turpin
12. TPJ - One of the few point of difference players we have, similar to Milf, clean slate under the new coach
14. Luke or McCullough (last season for either of them)
16. Oates
Yep this, only other signings would be c.smith and welch if available still , possibly lachlan burr .

It already seems like 2021 will be a wasted year regardless unless an unexpected signing becomes available of a gun hooker or fullback.

completely disagree ...

we don't need a full rebuild, we have the basis of a quality squad, we just need a few tweaks here and there. (and a bit of luck with injuries)

besides, there is **** all quality off contract for 2021 anyway

I think we need to have about 3/4 people from our list going for fullback in the off season if we don't Sign anyone and pick the clear winner of the lot(I'm thinking Niu/Bird/Isaako and Farnworth compete for it).

We need Isaako in a starting spot somewhere(he is arguably the most powerful kicker in the game and capable of 70M drop outs, and a much better goal kicker then Staggs).

Oates needs to be moved to the forwards for good.

Consider Swapping Carrigan and Haas, Haas is too damaging of a ball Runner to stay as prop would be interesting if he changed his attack patterns from Lock.

I think we need to have about 3/4 people from our list going for fullback in the off season if we don't Sign anyone and pick the clear winner of the lot(I'm thinking Niu/Bird/Isaako and Farnworth compete for it).

Bird, Nui. Isaako, Walsh

Farnworth has played Fullback before as well though.
I'm not sure what anyone sees in Farnworth that suggest he's a first grade fullback in waiting. He hasn't really shown a passing game, he doesn't break a lot of tackles and he doesn't appear to be overly elusive.

I'm not writing him off either. He seems to be the willing sort and I like how he takes the tough first run of the set and generally doesn't get dominated, but if he remains in first grade I think he should probably keep building his confidence on the wing next year.

I'm not sure what anyone sees in Farnworth that suggest he's a first grade fullback in waiting. He hasn't really shown a passing game, he doesn't break a lot of tackles and he doesn't appear to be overly elusive.

I'm not writing him off either. He seems to be the willing sort and I like how he takes the tough first run of the set and generally doesn't get dominated, but if he remains in first grade I think he should probably keep building his confidence on the wing next year.
Each position is different, At wing and centre your not going to see much that suggests someone can play fullback.

I think he is very likely a long term centre option but willing to see if he has what it takes at fullback, if he can impress enough in the off season to merit the position he deserves it, I doubt he will be our best option there, but worth the shot.

well said

completely disagree ...

we don't need a full rebuild, we have the basis of a quality squad, we just need a few tweaks here and there. (and a bit of luck with injuries)

besides, there is **** all quality off contract for 2021 anyway
If we have cap space, and there is no one on offer that the new coach wants to target, I would be front ending some contracts next year to give us more scope when there is quality on the market. Realistically, we need a hard head experienced prop, a quality fullback and a competent tough centre. Give Turpin and Paix next year, if there is not a marked improvement there, go for a quality hooker.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • Big Del
  • jd87
  • Alec
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Johnny92
  • Financeguy
  • phoenix
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.