Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

I guess that he could mean that the players that need re signing will be,dearden, staggs, flegs, coates etc.
Maybe some depth changes but to be fair we have a good team with everyone fit and firing.

I guess that he could mean that the players that need re signing will be,dearden, staggs, flegs, coates etc.
Maybe some depth changes but to be fair we have a good team with everyone fit and firing.

But the question remains, if we actually have money, why aren’t Staggs, Dearden and Flegler re-signed yet? They’ve either learned nothing from Fifita or they genuinely don’t have money, which I’m genuinely starting to believe. This club has probably paid someone like Oates 800k next season.

But the question remains, if we actually have money, why aren’t Staggs, Dearden and Flegler re-signed yet? They’ve either learned nothing from Fifita or they genuinely don’t have money, which I’m genuinely starting to believe. This club has probably paid someone like Oates 800k next season.

or Staggs, Dearden, Flegler etc won't sign until they know who the coach is.

p.s. they'd be in negotiations, they won't just wait until the new coach before starting negotiations

Last edited:
You really are getting yourself worked up mate , I think you should have some faith.
People are reacting like we've been on the bottom for years, obviously we have been off the pace but this silence suggests things are happening.

The Broncos don't want the player market thinking they are 'cashed up' otherwise potential new signings see it as a chance to get a bigger piece of the pie.

We don’t have a coach, bro.

We don’t have a coach, bro.

Well the choice is in two, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. I hope Lockyer is being more coy than he has shown the ability to be in the past and of course, if Joffa, Milf, Oates, Hoppa can find new homes, that would certainly free up cash if someone (Grant) becomes available.

I actually think the results from this year could be a benefit to us in the long run.

wait, a sec, hear me out ...

because sometimes, hitting rock bottom is a catalyst for change, it forces management to have a good hard look at how the football program operates (rather than just talk about reviews). and plan what changes need to happen to reverse our fortunes.

the alternative is to keep going along as we had been for the last several years (actually, most of the last decade, except 2015) ... i.e. doing enough to make the finals, but really only be making up the numbers and being on the end of several thumpings in finals matches.

and you don't have too look to far to see how quickly fortunes can change in this game

in 2019 the Panthers finished 10th ... in 2020 the finished the regular season in 1st place, 5pts clear at the top of the table, currently on a 15 game winning streak

in 2018, the Eels finished with the wooden spoon ... in 2019, they finished in 5th place

also in 2018, the Raiders finished in 10th place ... in 2019, they made the GF, taking down the Storm several times, only to lose in controversial circumstances

I actually think the results from this year could be a benefit to us in the long run.

because sometimes, hitting rock bottom is a catalyst for change, it forces management to have a good hard look at how the football program operates (rather than just talk about reviews). and plan what changes need to happen to reverse our fortunes.

the alternative is to keep going along as we had been for the last several years (actually, most of the last decade, except 2015) ... i.e. doing enough to make the finals, but really only be making up the numbers and being on the end of several thumpings in finals matches.

and you don't have too look to far to see how quickly fortunes can change in this game

in 2019 the Panthers finished 10th ... in 2020 the finished the regular season in 1st place, 5pts clear at the top of the table, currently on a 15 game winning streak

in 2018, the Eels finished with the wooden spoon ... in 2019, they finished in 5th place

also in 2018, the Raiders finished in 10th place ... in 2019, they made the GF, taking down the Storm several times, only to lose in controversial circumstances

As long as those changes come as you said. This should have happened after 58-0 last year though.

I agree with this and change should start at the top involving a complete clean out of the board to start with.
Those who have trashed this club should not be involved in its rebuilding.

I agree with this and change should start at the top involving a complete clean out of the board to start with.
Those who have trashed this club should not be involved in its rebuilding.

I don't agree with that in a couple of ways.

firstly, often, being humiliated in the way they were this year can make them more invested and more determined to fix things.

secondly outside of hiring(/Firing) the coach, the board really don't have too much involvement with the football program.

Nolan is the football GM, also in charge of recruitment ... he is the one much of the blame for our roster shortcomings. (although the coach does have veto power, which is why Mitchell Moses is still playing for the Eels instead of us (Bennett didn't want him) ... piss him off immediately.

the coach is already gone, obviously a lot of the blame goes here.

the assistant coaches and strength and conditioning team (who sucked given our injuries this year) will also likely be replaced, once a new coach is appointed.

a small amount of the blame should also go to the NRL (for changing the rules mid season, and then tinkering with them after a few rounds), i've never seen as many injuries around the league as i have this year

and the old boys for constantly belittling everyone involved with the team, killing any confidence they may have had left (which was probably not very fucking much).

we will have a new CEO to lead the rebuild though

Last edited:

Will we though? If Donuty comes, it will not be reportedly until the middle of next year, so we are stuck with the same spuds running the asylum until at least then.

To play devil's advocate, just on the Eels going from spoon - 5th, IIRC their only loss after a 4th the year before the spoon was Semi. Only notable losses between 2017 and 2019, were Semi and Corey Norman. They should never have had that spoon over losing a winger. Sure he was good but 4th-16th good... cmon. There's definitely enough talent at the Broncos to turn it around into the 8 but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up to 5th personally. The Panthers and Raiders also had inclusions like Api and Bateman who contributed a fair amount. There just doesn't seem to be that sort of quality in the current off contract list. Maybe a diamond in the rough. Hopefully, Bird comes back fit and in form as that vacant FB spot may define your season imo. Whether you love or hate him, Darius did link well in the backline and a large number of tries came off the back of him creating an overlap. Will be interesting to watch nevertheless.

I really hope they pick it up because although a novelty at first, given I go to most of their games, when they're not competitive it is pretty dour. Best of luck.

All of that is fine in theory, but how are they going to learn from their mistakes if they’re not being held accountable and in fact, don’t even know the meaning of the word? If they continue to blame covid and scapegoat the wrong things then how do they expect to fix things? I think we have to agree that the people in charge simply don’t have it in them to improve this place as they are a bunch of idiots.

The actual alternative is to get rid of them and replace them with competent individuals who want the club to be successful both on and off the field. You can’t tell me that a Manly fan wants the Broncos to be successful on the field at all.

On top of that, apart from the Roosters, which teams have bounced back from last place to be the level of successful we want the Broncos to be. So far the examples you’ve used are very similar to where we already were before we sacked Bennett. So why continue with sideways or backwards moves?

Oh FFS Lockyer, where does all the money go!! Fifita, Boyd, Kahu etc etc, there must be a fair bit of coin left from them surely. Who the **** is the accountant at this club! The shit Locky speaks, seriously, if he wasn't a champion footy player god knows what he would have been doing for a job.

Maybe if you, Locky, and your fellow peanuts in recruitment and on the board didn't shell out 1 million per season for muppets like Milford we might be in much better shape salary cap wise!

I mean seriously, let's say half a mill saved from Boyd, the 700k we set aside for Fifita, and 300k from Kahu, isn't that well over a million we should have. I know we probably have to upgrade a few of the young blokes, but christ almighty what are we paying the rest of these dipshits.

You couldn't make this shit up.
Guys a complete numpty in business sense...look what happened to the company he part owned!! So we are stuck with a shithouse roster but what bewilders me is how pretty much the past 3 yrs we persist with these boring one out hit ups for 4 or 5 tackles per set...All other 15 teams even when dominated in defence throw it around or try a kick...not us...noooooo.. I find it hard to watch and damn frustrating but still watch on in hope😂🙄

I

and the old boys for constantly belittling everyone involved with the team, killing any confidence they may have had left (which was probably not very fucking much).

I dont believe most of the young guys here give 2 shits about the old boys whatsoever....whether they be at the cub currently or retired....

And thats half the problem...

Guys a complete numpty in business sense...look what happened to the company he part owned!! So we are stuck with a shithouse roster but what bewilders me is how pretty much the past 3 yrs we persist with these boring one out hit ups for 4 or 5 tackles per set...All other 15 teams even when dominated in defence throw it around or try a kick...not us...noooooo.. I find it hard to watch and damn frustrating but still watch on in hope😂🙄
Not any more hopefully mate. The Walters early shifts even from kick offs were a trademark of his. I can’t wait. Throw in some Cartwright back row second phase Instead of shovelling the ball to Fifita under ten style and we are away. Better days ahead .

Active Now

• Astro
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Spoon
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • MrRobot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.