Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Lol Cam Smith. I just find the Smith stuff totally pie in the sky material. Like he would play his whole career at the Storm, but then play a final season at the Broncos. Just makes no sense.

it does happen ... Luke Hodge came out of retirement to play for the Lions after playing his entire career at the Hawks.

in Cam Smiths case, it might be simply that he wants to move on to help the Storm retain Grant (who they are a very good chance of losing if Smith plays on) ... not to mention that apparently his wife wants to move back to QLD after his playing career ends.

Without the proper coach our young guys are going to struggle for years to come. In addition, there is no telling what all these thrashings has done to their mental development.

I think the answer to our current crisis is to be found at perhaps one of our most disliked rivals.

We need to use our financial strength to pries Dessy Hasler away from Manly. He's shown what he can do with both the Bulldogs and Manly. I'm sure he'd turn this shitshow around pretty quickly. His ability to get the refs onboard without coping a fine or any criticism is also a trait very dearly sought after at Red Hill.

Who knows, he might be even able to tempt one or both of the Turbo boys to follow him.

It makes so much sense. Dessy's hair flair married with Patty Carrigan's - what a winning combination.

who's the best psychiatrist in Queensland...???

Whwever it is, they would be my first signing next year..

This mob are broken, mentally scared and arguably never recovering from this season.....because they are mostly soft to begin with...

Last edited:
I'm reluctant to go into the market for next year, i don't think we will be competitive at all and basically anyone we buy would be knee jerk reactions a la Croft. We're still going to be paying Milford and a few other passengers which will keep us tethered out of the 8.

Getting another season into Dearden, Hass, Farnworth, Coates, Staggs & Carrigan should be the goal and then looking to fill the roster up in '22 with a lot of salary cap too play with and get it right.

I don't know about the coach, I'm not sold on KW because his coaching pedigree isn't that great. The great romance of him coming home and linking with Alfie has a lot of people blindsided, add to that his history with the club has absolutely no connection to this current playing group, the only one who would really benefit from a KW type would be Darbs and hes gone next season anyway. Seibs is a weak character and this team has taken that for granted and exploited it, i hope they can find an authoritarian coach that's strong enough in character and is willing to upset players, the media and NRL if its in the best interest of the club and the fans. I don't know what Seibs strengths are but he's certainly not a leader.

I'm reluctant to go into the market for next year, i don't think we will be competitive at all and basically anyone we buy would be knee jerk reactions a la Croft. We're still going to be paying Milford and a few other passengers which will keep us tethered out of the 8.

Getting another season into Dearden, Hass, Farnworth, Coates, Staggs & Carrigan should be the goal and then looking to fill the roster up in '22 with a lot of salary cap too play with and get it right.

I don't know about the coach, I'm not sold on KW because his coaching pedigree isn't that great. The great romance of him coming home and linking with Alfie has a lot of people blindsided, add to that his history with the club has absolutely no connection to this current playing group, the only one who would really benefit from a KW type would be Darbs and hes gone next season anyway. Seibs is a weak character and this team has taken that for granted and exploited it, i hope they can find an authoritarian coach that's strong enough in character and is willing to upset players, the media and NRL if its in the best interest of the club and the fans. I don't know what Seibs strengths are but he's certainly not a leader.

It really is hard to know what made him a good coach at Souths because you are right, he isn’t a leader, he can’t get respect, he can’t communicate clearly, he can’t get his team to buy in and he can’t inspire. These are not good traits for a coach.

Where is Paul White?

That word 'respect' is powerful, there is definitely a lack of it at the Broncs and a few bad apples have been left to do their thing, not sure what the right mix is but I believe a competent judge of character with a backbone to deal with the bad apples could sort that out very quickly... hence the quick rebound next season thesis :) Here's hoping!

Where is Paul White?

That word 'respect' is powerful, there is definitely a lack of it at the Broncs and a few bad apples have been left to do their thing, not sure what the right mix is but I believe a competent judge of character with a backbone to deal with the bad apples could sort that out very quickly... hence the quick rebound next season thesis :) Here's hoping!

what do you mean where is he ... how often do we hear the CEO of clubs come out and frequently talk to the media when their teams are struggling ...

other than the standard "the coach has the full support of the board" right before said coach is sacked ... we don't hear from them

what do you mean where is he ... how often do we hear the CEO of clubs come out and frequently talk to the media when their teams are struggling ...

other than the standard "the coach has the full support of the board" right before said coach is sacked ... we don't hear from them

Except we heard from him to explain that Seibold has a contract clause that he doesn't have. I mean...isn't that weird?

When Hancock Sailor Carne Faloua Tuiquiri etc came in as 19 year olds we never said the needed to mature they dominated They hit the ground running. Didnt let tries in dominated the opposition. This is my point. Coates may be good but I havent seen enough to say he is a mainstay. Yes persevere with the glimpses but not earth shattering. I sincerely hope he fulfills his obviois potential
Very few young players these days are at the same level that young players were at back then. Not sure what it is, but to me players back then were just better footballers at an earlier age. Hard to know why though.

not saying turf him. 3 of those were intercepts. Yes has talent but gee whiz has let plenty in. good in the air but not executing. He is a keeper but need nuruturing. not NRL standard at moment. Compared to Hammer Staines And orhers at same age

I honestly think it's Staggs that is a large, large part of why these wingers on the right look like shit sometimes. You can mostly only defend as well as your centre allows you too. A lot of the time it's the other players + Staggs coming in and then the winger has to choose to stay out (and get blamed for a massive gap between him and the centre) or come in as well (and get blamed for coming in).

It really is hard to know what made him a good coach at Souths because you are right, he isn’t a leader, he can’t get respect, he can’t communicate clearly, he can’t get his team to buy in and he can’t inspire. These are not good traits for a coach.
Not good traits for someone with a teaching background either. Plenty of parents must be happy he isn't teaching their kids. Can you imagine a whole class full of kids going home looking as confused as Flegler.

we are paying large for Milf and Bird why subsidise another team. Both will be playing for contracts. make them earn it. Rather this than subsidise them to earn it elsewhere
Yep, i dont think we should offload them for the sake of it. If we do offload them, we should have a solid plan as to how to use that money to benefit our team.

In saying that, i have no faith in this board or coaching staff's capacity to formulate a decent plan in any sense of the word.

In saying that, i have no faith in this board or coaching staff's capacity to formulate a decent plan in any sense of the word.
That is my biggest worry going forward.
The board and the coach are part of the problem so they can't be relied on to come up with a plan that will actually fix things.
As far as I know (actually hope I'm wrong) there isn't much available for us next year that hasn't already been signed.
Fifita and Pangi Junior will not be here next year. Does anyone really think we will have a better pack without those two?
Realistically we need to start looking at 2022 to recruit any name players but this will be a hard sell. Anyone we approach will likely want overs to come here because we are rebuilding and are currently just a shitshow.
I know some clubs have turned it around quickly in the past but it usually takes longer to fix things than it does to wreck them and that to me is why I think the trainwreck of seasons 2019 and 2020 will take longer than 2 yrs to fix. And that is only if the right things start happening soon and there is no sign of that.
The immediate future is a big worry and that is putting it mildly.

White has gone underground, essentially. The media are hammering us pretty much every week now and he can't be fucked getting in front of a camera to answer tough questions on a weekly basis now that he already has a fresh cushy job lined up. He signed Seibold (knee jerk signing of a rookie coach who hadn't won shit, because the real and only target, Bellyache, didn't want a bar of us and they needed to save face in light of the Bennett storm), got a chance to see up close how much of a shitshow he signed on for 5 years, then immediately announced his final year with the club, in other words he was getting out of dodge so someone else can deal with it. That's how bad Seibold and his systems and personnel are.

I've jumped on the train, jump on with me.
Which train you ask? The Wane Train.

Shaun Wane, England Head coach, former Wigan head coach with a winning percentage the same as Bellamy.
England won't be playing international Rugby League this year, possibly not next either, and he wants to coach in the NRL.

"The players get what I'm about, I want them to be really really good people off the field, respectful, and I want them to be nasty animals on the field, I want them to change and to me that's a proper Wigan player"

Imagine that mentality with the talent we have in Brisbane.

Get him in here, he is a proven winner that has a passion for winning and will do so at all costs, losing is not an option for this man.

100%
I love everything about him. His history, his achievements, his willingness, work ethnic, open mindedness, character, footy smarts, man management & most importantly... he fucking HATES losing! That's a genuine footballer (footbrawler!) right there!

Give him the reins!

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.