Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Tristan Sailor is now officially available... if we get a coach in this next week we can hopefully snag him

have the Dragons decided to cut him loose or something?

have the Dragons decided to cut him loose or something?

Yeah, they told him he's not needed after this season.

I'd absolutely sign him, even as a winger I think he'd be better than the likes of Kennar, Oates, etc. Could very easily battle it out with Niu / Bird / Staggs for the fullback spot in the pre-season.

There is a reason the Dragons don't want Sailor. Give him a different surname and he doesn't have a contract anywhere.

We need a fullback for next year so why not?

I don't actually think we do ... we have a very capable fullback IMO in Jack Bird ... IMO, he's in for a big season, for a number of reasons

a) he's dues some luck in the injury department
b) he'll need a big season to either convince us to re-sign him or convince suitors from Sydney to take a chance on him (for decent money)

either way, we'll be the beneficiaries for the 2021 season

Yeah, they told him he's not needed after this season.

I'd absolutely sign him, even as a winger I think he'd be better than the likes of Kennar, Oates, etc. Could very easily battle it out with Niu / Bird / Staggs for the fullback spot in the pre-season.

seems like a decision that could bite them in the ass ... definitely worth signing (probably wont cost us an arm and a leg either)

I don't actually think we do ... we have a very capable fullback IMO in Jack Bird ... IMO, he's in for a big season, for a number of reasons

a) he's dues some luck in the injury department
b) he'll need a big season to either convince us to re-sign him or convince suitors from Sydney to take a chance on him (for decent money)

either way, we'll be the beneficiaries for the 2021 season

seems like a decision that could bite them in the ass ... definitely worth signing (probably wont cost us an arm and a leg either)
Do you think after his time off he will have the fitness and game awareness to jump right in, or would he transition into fullback throughout the season?

Bird is cooked. Had too many injuries to play 1. Needs to play right edge.

Do you think after his time off he will have the fitness and game awareness to jump right in, or would he transition into fullback throughout the season?

after a full preseason he should be right to go ... although some one on one sessions with Locky wouldn't go astray

after a full preseason he should be right to go ... although some one on one sessions with Locky wouldn't go astray

Bloke needs some one on one sessions with a voodoo expert more than anything, surely he's due a healthy season.

One more knee injury would just about be his career I reckon, it's looking very Tautau Mogaish.

So some wishful thinking here, based on some rumours I have heard over the last few months which are probably not going to happen because the coaching situation is fucking us over. Sorry for stealing your gimmick @Sproj

Gains- Young Tonumaipea, Ben Hunt, Jesse Bromwich, Isaiah Papali’I, Tristan Sailor

Losses- David Fifita, Darius Boyd, Jordan Kahu, Joe Ofahengaue, Jamil Hopoate, Sean O’Sullivan, Ilikena Vudogo, Richie Kennar, Issac Luke, Kobe Hetherington, Ben Te’o

Could see us lining up with a squad like this in 2021
1 Kotoni Staggs (gk)
2 Young Tonumaipea
3 Jack Bird
4 Herbie Farnworth
5 Xavier Coates
6 Anthony Milford
7 Tom Dearden
8 Payne Haas
9 Ben Hunt
10 Jesse Bromwich (c)
11 Alex Glenn (c)
12 Tevita Pangai Jr.
13 Patrick Carrigan (vc)

14 Corey Paix
15 Matt Lodge
16 Isaiah Papali’i
17 Jordan Riki

18 Tesi Niu
19 Brodie Croft
20 Thomas Flegler
21 Corey Oates

22 Jamayne Isaako
23 Tristan Sailor
24 Jesse Arthars
25 Tyson Gamble
26 Jake Turpin
27 Ethan Bullemore
28 Pride Petterson Robati
29 Rhys Kennedy
30 Keenan Palasia

I agree with you on this. 3 ACL's ? Not ideal for a hard running FB who has to often change direction at speed. I mean, just look at Nefarious.
I'd like to see him at lock, sort of Cameron Murray/Vicor Radley

So some wishful thinking here, based on some rumours I have heard over the last few months which are probably not going to happen because the coaching situation is fucking us over. Sorry for stealing your gimmick @Sproj

Gains- Young Tonumaipea, Ben Hunt, Jesse Bromwich, Isaiah Papali’I, Tristan Sailor

Losses- David Fifita, Darius Boyd, Jordan Kahu, Joe Ofahengaue, Jamil Hopoate, Sean O’Sullivan, Ilikena Vudogo, Richie Kennar, Issac Luke, Kobe Hetherington, Ben Te’o

Could see us lining up with a squad like this in 2021
1 Kotoni Staggs (gk)
2 Young Tonumaipea
3 Jack Bird
4 Herbie Farnworth
5 Xavier Coates
6 Anthony Milford
7 Tom Dearden
8 Payne Haas
9 Ben Hunt
10 Jesse Bromwich (c)
11 Alex Glenn (c)
12 Tevita Pangai Jr.
13 Patrick Carrigan (vc)

14 Corey Paix
15 Matt Lodge
16 Isaiah Papali’i
17 Jordan Riki

18 Tesi Niu
19 Brodie Croft
20 Thomas Flegler
21 Corey Oates

22 Jamayne Isaako
23 Tristan Sailor
24 Jesse Arthars
25 Tyson Gamble
26 Jake Turpin
27 Ethan Bullemore
28 Pride Petterson Robati
29 Rhys Kennedy
30 Keenan Palasia

I'm stunned! I bet @Sproj is too.

What a list.

2 reasons i would not be looking at bird for fullback is that once a fullback does a knee, they are rarely the same (admittedly there are a few exceptions). They often lose speed/accleration (which was not bird's strength to begin with) and agility. Second reason is that he may not be here in 2022, i would rather us go into 2021 with the spine we are considering long-term.

Bird on the right working with coates would do well, lock could also be interesting (with carrigan moving to prop). He could play that connection to the halves (like radley), and if we need a quick play the ball to set up an attacking play, he could do that (llike murray). I know there is the question about his capacity to stay in the middle and remain injury free though

Not sure why Young Tonumaipea is even getting a mention, he's a journeyman. Far better off going with Isaako with a full pre-season on the wing under a new coach to work on combinations, and hopefully a clear mind.

He just isn't big enough to play 13, even with the new style of game. Stick to being a bigger less mobile version of his time in the centres, and he can be an asset.

And 2022 could look like this. These are just targets I guess, with no salary cap in mind. Although we surely have a fair bit of money to play with. Not taking into account broken contracts either. Also an attempt to get rid of a few toxic players.

Gains- Dylan Napa, Brian Kelly, Kevin Proctor, Nicho Hynes, Maiko Sivo, Kurt Capewell, Jaydn Sua, Billy Walters, Lachlan Lam,
Losses- Rhys Kennedy Jesse Arthars Alex Glenn, Tesi Niu, Tristan Sailor Tevita Pangai Jr. Keenan Palasia Anthony Milford, Jake Turpin,

1 Nicho Hynes
2 Maika Sivo
3 Jack Bird
4 Herbie Farnworth
5 Xavier Coates
6 Kotoni Staggs (gk)
7 Tom Dearden
8 Payne Haas
9 Ben Hunt
10 Jesse Bromwich (c)
11 Kevin Proctor
12 Jaydn Sua
13 Patrick Carrigan (vc)

14 Corey Paix
15 Isaiah Papali’i
16 Thomas Flegler
17 Jordan Riki

18 Brian Kelly
19 Billy Walters
20 Ethan Bullemore
21 Kurt Capewell
22 Jamayne Isaako
23 Young Tonumaipea
24 Lachlan Lam
25 Dylan Napa
26 Corey Oates
27 Matt Lodge
28 Tyson Gamble
29 Pride Petterson Robati
30 Brodie Croft

Not sure why Young Tonumaipea is even getting a mention, he's a journeyman. Far better off going with Isaako with a full pre-season on the wing under a new coach to work on combinations, and hopefully a clear mind.
Well 3 reasons, Isaako is shit and we don’t have many other options. Feel free to swap them though. He’s also someone that’s apparently on our radar.

Oh and a 4th reason. A place holder until we sign Sivo from the Eels in 2022. Duh

Last edited:
Well 3 reasons, Isaako is shit and we don’t have many other options. Feel free to swap them though. He’s also someone that’s apparently on our radar.

Oh and a 4th reason. A place holder until we sign Sivo from the Eels in 2022. Duh

I don't buy that Isaako is shit tbh, he was so good on the wing early on, you don't just become bad overnight. He's had a pretty tough 18 months off the field, that's been pretty well documented. He was also dicked around during the pre-season if you recall, he trained all over the backline, was initially told he may be a bench utility (as was Staggs at one point) and then not long before the Bird injury he was told he wouldn't be playing first grade in Round 1. Then the Bird injury occurred and he was thrown straight in to Fullback (Where we won our first 2 games with him actually looking quite threatening) and then the post-COVID disaster occurred. Last pre-season he learned about his father's illness in the week leading up to Round 1.

It may seem like I'm just supplying excuses for his form, but I mean really, there's not a player in the NRL that would be anywhere close to their best under those circumstances.

I want to see what he can do with a full pre-season with no drama, working on the right wing with his right centre (whether that be Staggs or someone else, is besides the point), figuring out combinations, gelling, learning more about the correct way to defend on the wing, when to come in, when not to, etc. Give him some sense of stability before we discard him.

If he comes out next year and sucks ass for the first month, I'll be on board. But until that point, I'm still in on him.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.