Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Except getting a Capewell and Allan isn’t going to break the bank account and you can sign Allan to a two year deal and still have the dosh available for when Brimson is gettable.
I agree completely......I wasn't saying Capewell or Allan are the wrong players

I don't think it's an outrageous asking price either, it's what you'd expect a starting fullback to be paid. I'd imagine it's a case of put your money where your mouth is, if I'm coming to your club to play fullback then pay me to play fullback. Otherwise I'm quite happy here at Souths earning my 300,000 to be a utility back and learn off one of the greatest coaches of all-time in one of the best teams in the competition.

Fullback is one of the spine positions, so 500k seems like it's a worthwhile risk for Allan as the upside is they could be valued as a 1M+ player. Cash invested in your spine players and fit a team around that... copy Melbourne where it matters.

Meanwhile you have a best in league player in JAC earning 500k for his position, and we are paying Corey Quotes what... 600k!? where the upside is?

Happy that the Broncs are keeping the powder dry, presuming that is what they are doing, with a view to being able to invest in the 2022 player market.

500k only seems like a bad idea if he turns to shit. Even then, 2-3 years of that shouldn’t be too much to ask considering we are one or two injuries away from bringing Boyd back.

500k only seems like a bad idea if he turns to shit. Even then, 2-3 years of that shouldn’t be too much to ask considering we are one or two injuries away from bringing Boyd back.

I’ve thought about it a bit more. I’d be happy to pay him that for two years but still aim for Grant and Brimson in two years.

Rumours the dragons are looking to push out Cam McInnis. Leadership, can play 80 minutes. Top 5 (give or take) hooker.

I’d be making inquires.
Unless they'd trade McCullough or turpin for him without extra payment (won't happen) I would not go near it. He's a good hooker but he isn't a huge upgrade on what we actually need

IMO, Allen is worth about Souths are reportedly paying him... offering him 500k would be making an offer based on potential rather than performances, which is part of what has caused our roster issues in the first place.

if I was negotiating with him, these are the offers i would consider:

1. a one year deal for 350k, give him a chance to prove he is worth 500k

or

2. a two to three year deal, first year 350k, second year goes up to 500k, ONLY IF he meets certain KPI's in year 1

or

3. a two to three year incentive based deal. 350k base, potentially hitting 500k, IF he meets certain KPI's ( i believe US sports use this formula, although harder to pull off in the NRL due to tighter salary caps.)

Last edited:
IMO, Allen is worth about Souths are reportedly paying him... offering him 500k would be making an offer based on potential rather than performances, which is part of what has caused our roster issues in the first place.

or

2. a two to three year deal, first year 350k, second year goes up to 500k, ONLY IF he meets certain KPI's in year 1

or

3. a two to three year incentive based deal. 350k base, potentially hitting 500k, IF he meets certain KPI's ( i believe US sports use this formula, although harder to pull off in the NRL due to tighter salary caps.)
What would the KPIs be?

or

or

Love it!

What would the KPIs be?

don't really have an answer for that one.

but i'm sure between the coaching staff and players management, they could come up with some acceptable measurable KPI's that show Allen is worth the extra money.

or

or

Union do not allow KPI. Your pay goes up if you play rep footy that’s all.

Union do not allow KPI. Your pay goes up if you play rep footy that’s all.
So in a job where your performances quite literally impact whether or not you win, which also happens to be the sole purpose of competitive / professional sport, the union doesn’t allow the club to measure players against set KPI’s?

That’ll do me. No wonder players are becoming more and more entitled.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Tmac
  • BruiserMk1
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • RodF
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.