Which Country winning the World cup would do the most to improve the game.

Which country Winning the World cup would improve Rugby league the most internationally.

• Australia

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Tonga

• Samoa

• Lebanon

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Papua New Guinea

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Now I'm not saying this must happen but surely many think about it because the international game does need help, though it is definitely improving thanks to the fact Australia who dominates the game in player depth houses soo many cultures and that can feed into the international game to prop up the countries which can help breed interest in those countries(think Lebanon which has given interest domestically which resulted in the country making a national competition backed by the government through the universities).

I kept the Poll options only to the possible or barely semi possible options because most of them are not going to have a chance.

Me personally I think for this would cup it has to be England, the country has been in decline for decades, the Super league has lost the ability to attract decent players from NRL just with money because NRL just has alot more these days and the average attendances have been in decline big time with the biggest clubs only attracting around 11-13k average attendance which is basically bottom feeder NRL level, plus the fact the WC is there it's a good opportunity to rebuild interest in the main player in the Northern Hemisphere.

I think if England won the WC it could do serious Damage to Unions stranglehold on the Rugby code in the country, Rugby league is pretty much winning the war in the islands these days outside Fiji, New Zealand is pretty much an unwinnable war unless they have several clubs in the country with proper youth systems hooving talent, but even that would take decades and basically a cultural revolution.

Moot question. The rlwc is not run by the nrl so I doubt the “benefits” of potential winners even comes into their realm of thinking. While the international game may lack the flair of our domestic product at least the games seem to be refereed without bias. png btw. The answer is png.

Moot question. The rlwc is not run by the nrl so I doubt the “benefits” of potential winners even comes into their realm of thinking. While the international game may lack the flair of our domestic product at least the games seem to be refereed without bias. png btw. The answer is png.
Rugby league doesn't equal NRL, that is just the biggest league of the code, I didn't say this from an NRL perspective but the code.

As for PNG I can agree with that, the country is mad for Rugby league though I'm not really sure how the game can leverage that, I feel they are a long way from having an NRL team mainly due to issues that will present from a security issue and infostructure, establishing the Hunters in Qcup was definitely a huge step that has already helped players like Olam getting noticed by Storm though there hasn't really been much more on that.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the pacific island nations win the cup, possibly PNG since it is the only nation in the world where rugby league is the national sport.

it would make a bigger splash if they were to beat either Aus or NZ in the final.

the more logical side of me thinks that we should start by getting a 3rd elite side (that can compete consistently with Aus and NZ) and then build from there ... so from that POV, England are the best chance.

for the purpose of this poll, i'll go heart over head and vote for PNG

Although it won’t happen, probably France or Italy. A continental European nation winning could stoke interest in Europe.

I voted Lebanon though because in my mind they have the best chance of adopting rugby league as a national sport.

Of the realistic chances, I'd love for England to win.

In the fantasy categories, I'd love Lebanon or Tonga to win although the scenes if PNG win would be special.

PNG would make for a great story but it will never happen. More realistic is England or New Zealand, both for the sake of giving the code a good kick up the ass in each of those countries.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • TimWhatley
  • broncs30
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • azza.79
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • BroncosMan
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.