NEWS White: Lodge still in line for future captaincy

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Travis Meyn writes in tomorrow's Courier Mail:

Broncos CEO Paul White denies the club’s board vetoed Matt Lodge as captain:

“Not at all, Lodgey has been a part of our leadership group, almost since he got here. He works closely with Seibs, the coaching staff and everyone within the organisation. Matt is highly-regarded within our organisation. I’ve got a close personal relationship with him because we’ve gone through a bit together. Lodgey’s time will come. He’s part of that leadership group. Lexi (Glenn) is the obvious choice and right choice at this time for our club.”

Seibold says he wants to take pressure off Boyd this year:

“It was my decision, he took it like a man. Darius has done a terrific job as the captain over the last 12 months in challenging times for us as a club. One thing I saw in my first year was there was a lot of external noise and pressure on Darius. He handled that quite well, but I thought it was unforgiving."

"What I wanted to do for Darius, being a legend of this club and game, was take some of those commitments away. He doesn’t need to do all the external things that a club captain has to do. I wanted to take some of the pressure and spotlight off Darius and allow him to enjoy his rugby league at the end of his career.”

“Darius is someone I lean on a lot. I talk to him about a lot of things. It hasn’t changed his mentality one iota. He’s known since last September he wouldn’t be the captain this year. It’s a long time for him to keep that to himself. It hasn’t altered his attitude or actions. He’s very supportive of Alex and the other young leaders."

"I’m very protective of him and have stood up for him a number of times when he’s been in the spotlight for, in my eyes, unfair reasons. He has got great strategies in place to cope with the highs and lows of professional sport. He wants what’s best for the club. He’s always been a team person and that’s what he said to me. He said ‘if you think that’s the best decision for the club then I’m all-in’.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Yer that was really well handled I think.... interesting that he made the call last September
I’ve taken a lot of shots at Darius the last couple of years, but the following is not one:

Seibold probably made the call in September to see if Boyd would stick around, test him a little bit I suppose, see what playing for the Broncos really meant to him.

For all his failures, I think this shows Boyd is committed to the team (or perhaps the cynic in me thinks he’s committed to collecting his pay?), so hats off to him in this instance - it would be a hard pill to swallow, particularly in such a public space.

I’ve taken a lot of shots at Darius the last couple of years, but the following is not one:

Seibold probably made the call in September to see if Boyd would stick around, test him a little bit I suppose, see what playing for the Broncos really meant to him.

For all his failures, I think this shows Boyd is committed to the team (or perhaps the cynic in me thinks he’s committed to collecting his pay?), so hats off to him in this instance - it would be a hard pill to swallow, particularly in such a public space.
He could collect his paycheck and not bother training hard.

But right now he's top of the Centre depth chart and in line to do well this year in a simplified role with an off season of certainty, conditioning and legitimate challenge from the coach.

I think he'll go on to have a fitting end of career. At least I hope so

I've read people's takes on boyd. A lot of the them are harsh (some quite vitriol in nature), but I feel confident of one thing. People will hate him until the moment he walks onto the field in broncos colours.
Even his worst critics want success and they want him to succeed. We come at the problem from different angles. Some want to put a line through him and promote someone younger. Some want him to be a great senior player and not one dragging the team down. Some want him around the team but not neccessarily in the side.
It doesn't matter the moment he crosses that white line. He's a bronco and he will be playing for us.
There was one game last year when against all trends he had a really good game. Even his harshest critics were hoping it was the start of something different and it sparked the "game of thrones" guy to do him as a gladiator. And maybe thats the key.
If he can just go out and play the game in the moment and forget his fellow players, the fans, even his opponents and just concentrate on his job, I think he can be that player again.

I've read people's takes on boyd. A lot of the them are harsh (some quite vitriol in nature), but I feel confident of one thing. People will hate him until the moment he walks onto the field in broncos colours.
Even his worst critics want success and they want him to succeed. We come at the problem from different angles. Some want to put a line through him and promote someone younger. Some want him to be a great senior player and not one dragging the team down. Some want him around the team but not neccessarily in the side.
It doesn't matter the moment he crosses that white line. He's a bronco and he will be playing for us.
There was one game last year when against all trends he had a really good game. Even his harshest critics were hoping it was the start of something different and it sparked the "game of thrones" guy to do him as a gladiator. And maybe thats the key.
If he can just go out and play the game in the moment and forget his fellow players, the fans, even his opponents and just concentrate on his job, I think he can be that player again.
Another really good post. It may well be in that discussion between Boyd and Seibold in September there was a heart to heart and Boyd understands that he is being given the chance to finish his career well and go out on a high. I hope this is the case and that it grasps the opportunity with both hands.

Boyd .. grasps the opportunity with both hands.
Spoiler alert

Darius

He could collect his paycheck and not bother training hard.

But right now he's top of the Centre depth chart and in line to do well this year in a simplified role with an off season of certainty, conditioning and legitimate challenge from the coach.

I think he'll go on to have a fitting end of career. At least I hope so
the role would have to be so simplified, that he is filling water bottles

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.