Who replaces Smith?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Smith maybe the greatest hooker to ever play the game of Rugby League.

Who fills his boots?

Jake Friend
Jake Granville
James Segeyaro
Andrew McCullough
Matt Parcell

Should any of these players play in the 2016 series?

At this stage probably Jake Friend in 2018/19 (Whenever Smith retires), but a LOT can change in 3 years, someone we may not have even heard of could step up and be the best Hooker in Queensland by that time.

At this point, I think Friend and Macca would be the guys I would trust most to handle the Origin arena. The other have more skill without a doubt, but are more utilitarian players at this stage. This could well change in the future, especially if they become more consistent and prove capable of handling the initial onslaught.

With Smith we don't need it, but I think we will need to go with a bench hooker when he retires.

What do you make of McCullough's choices from dummy half? Do you think he picks the best times to run the ball? Do you think he organises the forwards effectively? Does he give the ball to the half at the right time?

You would have to think of all those players he's the closest to winning another premiership. I wonder what bearing that will have? Both Granville and Friend played starring roles in the biggest game of the year for their side and Friend was great in a leadership role on Friday...

Friend/Macca to start with Segeyaro on the bench IMO.

Friend and Macca have the defensive ability to withstand the early origin onslaught and Segeyaro is the perfect player to come off the bench and zip around all those tired forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend/Macca to start with Segeyaro on the bench IMO.

Friend and Macca have the defensive ability to withstand the early origin onslaught and Segeyaro is the perfect player to come off the bench and zip around all those tired forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Granville and Parcell are also quite capable of playing that role. In fact, at this point I would probably just give it to Granville.

If Granville keeps form, he'd have to be in contention for the bench role, I don't think we'll have run with one hooker when Smith retires.
As for first choice, I don't think anyone has a lock on it, it's about who performs the best in the next 2-3 years. I think Friend would make a good go of it, or even Parcell if he really steps up in the next few years and asserts himself as a class hooker.

McCullough has well overtaken Friend and Segeyaro has done nothing over the last year and a bit to warrant being involved in Origin conversation. So if we were picking the team today without Smith, Macca should absolutely be locked in. None of them should play unless there are a few injuries this year.

jake friend for sure he is an absolute gun and a class player, as well as being a tackling machine hsi kicking out of dummy half and his organisation is first class

in order i would have

1. jake friend
2. jake granville
3. james segeyaro
4. matt parcel
5. andrew McCullough

jake friend for sure he is an absolute gun and a class player, as well as being a tackling machine hsi kicking out of dummy half and his organisation is first class

in order i would have

1. jake friend
2. jake granville
3. james segeyaro
4. matt parcel
5. andrew McCullough

Oh come on, you can't be serious.

For me, I would take a gamble and pick Parcell, he's just got it all that guy. However, that won't happen and I think it'll be Friend with Segeyaro/Granville/Hunt on the bench in the back up hooker role.

Jake Granville cant even start for the Cowboys over kostjasyn :laugh:

Friend is overrated imo, but it's between him and McCullough. Granville is great for about 40 minutes total, but you need a bloke who can play 80 and get through work in defense in Origin - I'd pick Seg over him on the bench, which is (should be) his only position in the side.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.