Who replaces Smith?

McCullogh is a very underrated hooker. Capable of playing a full 80, rock solid in defense and can pull of a 40/20 and is effective with his kicking and passing game. He wouldn't be out of place.

Jake Granville cant even start for the Cowboys over kostjasyn :laugh:

That is a tactical decision by Green ... not because Kostjaysn is better. \

IMO, i think Friend is still the number 2 hooker in QLD just ahead of Macca. both players are built for the origin arena ...

but things could certainly change by the time Smiths calls it a day

It would be out of Macca and Friend.

I think they are both more reliable than any other option.

Segeyaro seems to be injured a lot. I worry about Granville's decision making in the crucial stages of big games and while I think Parcell is quality, I don't think he would be ready for Origin.

I don't think any of these players should play this year, though. Keep the side the way it is for another year.

Last edited:
It will depend on who the halves pairing is and whether Smith/Thurston & Cronk all hang up the boots at the same time. Thurston has publicly said he will retire from rep football after the World Cup in 2017, so QLD will need a new 5/8. Smith might go a bit longer and Cronk the same.

I think it will depend on who Kevvie is thinking will take the halves spots after Thurston & Cronk go, if it is Milford & Hunt you would have to think that would work in McCullough's favour as you could very well have an all-Broncos spine in the 2018 series with Boyd, Milford, Hunt & McCullough.

Granville just gets better with every game

Granville just gets better with every game

He does, but I'm not sure about his defence. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the higher defensive effort required in an origin match would tire him out too much. His biggest positive by far is that speed out of the play the ball which may not work as much when he's had 60 minutes of NSW forwards trampling him.

I think Matt Parcell will develop into the perfect replacement for Smith over the next couple of years. Able to do the job of defence without blunting his work in attack.

i disagree i think jake granville defence is some of the best in the league i have seen granville pick up players like inglis burgess and jared warea hargreaves on many occasions

i disagree i think jake granville defence is some of the best in the league i have seen granville pick up players like inglis burgess and jared warea hargreaves on many occasions

Defence is more than making the odd big hit, it's about not missing tackles, something Granville does plenty of.

No offence mate, but statements like "Granville is some of the best defence in the league" makes it really hard to take you seriously.

Bent Hunt. Still think he would be a better hooker than halfback.

1) Boyd

6) JT
7) Milf

9) Hunt

14) Morgan

And the likes of Macca, Segs, Friend, Granville, etcetcetc...

lol @ NSW

It depends on a few things . I don't think Macca is first choice but he may get it if Hunt and Milford are the halves.

He doesn't have the best pass of the named players, he doesn't bring the forwards onto the ball as well as some but he can play 80 and his D is as good as Friends. He also has big game experience along with a lot of games.

Granville seems to be the under rated hooker here. His D is ok and he brings the forwards onto the ball well always keeping his markers honest and his speed from half is unmatched even by Segyaro.

Friend is also well in the frame, he has been unbelievable this year. It could boil down to what style the coach wants to play not necessarily who he considers the best as there is not much between them.

Cam Smith may just pull the pin after this year, he has slowed right down to my eye and I doubt he will see out 3 more years in rep.

Defence is more than making the odd big hit, it's about not missing tackles, something Granville does plenty of.

No offence mate, but statements like "Granville is some of the best defence in the league" makes it really hard to take you seriously

I just don't know why you say stuff like that B4L. It comes across as arrogant and detracts from your good observations on most topics.

Granville has 12 ineffective tackles to Maccas 13, neither of them feature in the top 20 missed tackles.
Granville has 5 T/ Ass and 8 L / Br Ass , Macca does not feature in the top 20 of either list.

Yeah I think Melbourne is in big trouble in the near future. Slater is questionable as to returning, Cronk is looking slower and Smith is playing like a slow, busted version of himself. The thing that does worry me though, is that when those three retire, they'll big players in the market and it'll make it harder to keep our stars.

It's amazing. He's been pretty pedestrian his whole career.

I don't think he has been pedestrian, we just don't require magic from him in a team that has Milf and Hunt running around. Macca does what's required of him and does it well imo.

If the future QLD halves are Milf/Hunt then the chemistry with Macca as the 9 would work well and help QLD.

Last edited:
I don't think he has been pedestrian, we just require magic from him in a team that has Milf and Hunt running around. Macca does what's required of him and does it well imo.

If the future QLD halves are Milf/Hunt then the chemistry with Macca as the 9 would work well and help QLD.

Agree with this.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • TimWhatley
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Griffo
  • lynx000
  • jd87
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • kman
  • Tmac
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • Mustafur
  • Jedhead
  • Strop
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.