Who replaces Smith?

I don't think he has been pedestrian, we just don't require magic from him in a team that has Milf and Hunt running around. Macca does what's required of him and does it well imo.

If the future QLD halves are Milf/Hunt then the chemistry with Macca as the 9 would work well and help QLD.

As much as I like Hunt, I can't see him playing for Queensland long-term, so I wouldn't be picking Macca based on the synergy aspect.

I think long-term we'll be looking at one of these, depending on who steps up over the next 2 seasons, we've gotta remember that Hunt will likely be nearly 30 by the time Thurston & Cronk retire, same with DCE.

1. Munster / Holmes
6. Milford
7. Mbye / Elgey / Taylor / Morgan

As much as I like Hunt, I can't see him playing for Queensland long-term, so I wouldn't be picking Macca based on the synergy aspect.

I think long-term we'll be looking at one of these, depending on who steps up over the next 2 seasons, we've gotta remember that Hunt will likely be nearly 30 by the time Thurston & Cronk retire, same with DCE.

1. Munster / Holmes
6. Milford
7. Mbye / Elgey / Taylor / Morgan

I completely disagree. There is no way you pair mbye with Milford. Elgey and Taylor are still massive unknowns and have shown nothing to suggest they are up to be rigours of origin (so far) and Morgan does not look like a halfback. Aside from that he needs to prove himself without Thurston letting him act as a third centre.

Hunt, especially with the combination he and Milf are creating looks much more likely to be QLD halfback long term than any of the others.

As to Hunt being nearly 30 by the time they retire, hasn't Thurston already made a fair bit of noise that this will be his last year at rep level and I don't think Cronk has too much rep left in him.

Last edited:
Picking Macca because he gives shit service to Hunt at club level so it will work out fine at Origin level is a good idea.

I completely disagree. There is no way you pair mbye with Milford. Elgey and Taylor are still massive unknowns and have shown nothing to suggest they are up to be rigours of origin (so far) and Morgan does not look like a halfback. Aside from that he needs to prove himself without Thurston letting him act as a third centre.

Hunt, especially with the combination he and Milf are creating looks much more likely to be QLD halfback long term than any of the others.

As to Hunt being nearly 30 by the time they retire, hasn't Thurston already made a fair bit of noise that this will be his last year at rep level and I don't think Cronk has too much rep left in him.

Ya as I said it depends who steps up out of those 4 guys, they'll be entering their prime when JT & Cronk retire. If Mbye can improve his kicking game over the next couple of seasons I'd say it's very likely he's the next Queensland halfback, Elgey and Taylor both have potential to be better than almost anyone, but as we all know, potential doesn't always come to fruition.

There's a small chance Hunt is the best halfback in Queensland when the big 4 retire, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I agree, the "too old" argument is silly, especially when Michael Morgan is only a year younger. Cooper Cronk didn't take over from Darren Lockyer until he was 29 how many people think he should still step aside for Daly Cherry-Evans?

It doesn't fly.

A better argument would be that he's already peaked. We've seen the best of Ben Hunt and from here on in we're in for a slow but sad decline.

I honestly believe people have those thoughts.

Perhaps, even the selectors had those thoughts all along and were right on the money when they went with the grand final hero?

Hmmm...

I agree, the "too old" argument is silly, especially when Michael Morgan is only a year younger. Cooper Cronk didn't take over from Darren Lockyer until he was 29 how many people think he should still step aside for Daly Cherry-Evans?

It doesn't fly.

A better argument would be that he's already peaked. We've seen the best of Ben Hunt and from here on in we're in for a slow but sad decline.

I honestly believe people have those thoughts.

Perhaps, even the selectors had those thoughts all along and were right on the money when they went with the grand final hero?

Hmmm...

1 year 9 months younger, if we're being specific :p

I wasn't using the age factor as my primary reasoning for doubting his future Origin hopes, my reasoning was that I think one of the 4 other guys I named will have surpassed him by the time Cronk & Thurston retire, them being several years younger is just icing on the cake really.

If guys like Elgey are getting a run, how long will it take for a guy like Scarlett to join that list?

Geez louise, Benny Hunt we hardly knew ye.

1 year 9 months younger, if we're being specific :p

I wasn't using the age factor as my primary reasoning for doubting his future Origin hopes, my reasoning was that I think one of the 4 other guys I named will have surpassed him by the time Cronk & Thurston retire, them being several years younger is just icing on the cake really.

Your opinion is your opinion, but I think you're wrong.

Picking Macca because he gives shit service to Hunt at club level so it will work out fine at Origin level is a good idea.

Someone obviously can't let go of previous opinions. It is also clear that someone has not noticed how Macca's service from dummy half has improved and allowed Milford to run amok.

Your opinion is your opinion, but I think you're wrong.

That's fine, I can't remember the last time I thought you were right.

If guys like Elgey are getting a run, how long will it take for a guy like Scarlett to join that list?

Geez louise, Benny Hunt we hardly knew ye.

Did you watch much of Kane last year? I'm sure he was leading the NRL in try assists like half way through the season, he's got plenty of potential to be elite within a few years.

Once again, I'd like to emphasize that my list is based purely on potential, not where they're currently at as players. If Ben Hunt is a better player and ahead of those 4 players I named in a couple of years time I'm happy to eat my words, I just don't see his gaming improving that much more.

Smith maybe the greatest hooker to ever play the game of Rugby League.

Who fills his boots?

Jake Friend
Jake Granville
James Segeyaro
Andrew McCullough
Matt Parcell

Should any of these players play in the 2016 series?

Long term....I'm holding out for Parcell

Short term, I'll go Granville. My preferences in order are;

1. Parcell
2. Granville
3. Friend
4. McCullough
5. Segeyaro

No, I don't watch any Rugby League outside of the Broncos - I thought everybody knew that.

Potential and experience don't go hand in hand. Sometimes what you see is what you get so when you're predicting a player who really hasn't shown all that much is going to be better than the halfback for the club you support it has to be taken as a knock on him. It's almost to the point where we may as well just move him on at the end of his existing deal if he's going to be behind so many playmakers.

Can we just go back to only judging these players on their first 8 games. That made way more sense.

Honestly though, Mbye has been shit and has to work on a lot more than just his kicking game to be anywhere near origin selection. Anyone notice whose number one in try assists for this year, if we are going to bring up Elgey being on top halfway through last year. Let's also bring up who is on top right now. Unless of course that ruins the argument and ends up in favour of Ben Hunt because that would just be terrible!

No, I don't watch any Rugby League outside of the Broncos - I thought everybody knew that.

Potential and experience don't go hand in hand. Sometimes what you see is what you get so when you're predicting a player who really hasn't shown all that much is going to be better than the halfback for the club you support it has to be taken as a knock on him. It's almost to the point where we may as well just move him on at the end of his existing deal if he's going to be behind so many playmakers.

He is? I don't recall ever saying that, however is there a chance that one of those 4 guys are better than him in 2-3 years? Yes.

Not sure how I can better explain it..

Last edited:
He is? I don't recall ever saying that, however is there a chance that one of those 4 guys are better than him in 2-3 years? Yes.

Not sure how I can better explain it..

The issue is that you are making statements without any real substance or anyway to prove them and are just covering yourself by saying that these are just possibilities.

Anything is possible, I think most people would agree with that but what exactly is your point?

Can we just go back to only judging these players on their first 8 games. That made way more sense.

Honestly though, Mbye has been shit and has to work on a lot more than just his kicking game to be anywhere near origin selection. Anyone notice whose number one in try assists for this year, if we are going to bring up Elgey being on top halfway through last year. Let's also bring up who is on top right now. Unless of course that ruins the argument and ends up in favour of Ben Hunt because that would just be terrible!

You're comparing a kid in his first bunch of NRL games being on top of the try assist leaderboard to a guy in the prime of his career playing for the best club? Surely that's not your comparison..

Besides it has no bearing on where they'll be as players in 2 years time.. So you may want to think of a new one.

You're comparing a kid in his first bunch of NRL games being on top of the try assist leaderboard to a guy in the prime of his career playing for the best club? Surely that's not your comparison..

Besides it has no bearing on where they'll be as players in 2 years time.. So you may want to think of a new one.

No im comparing a kid who did alright last year and hasn't even returned from an ACL injury to someone who is already in the frame for selection and in the last 7 games has already gotten better. Seems like Hunt is on the way up based on his form. Meanwhile Elgey can't run. But yeah, let's talk about 2 years time when there's so many things that could happen.

I really don't understand how this super evolution of some young players is only a legitimate response when it doesn't involve Hunt. He's still learning and he's still getting better too.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Pablo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.