CRICKET Who replaces Warner?

We need a long term solution.

Steve Smith is not it.

Khawaja was 35 and it has revived his career. He's averaging 57 as an opener in 29 Tests.

51 at home and 60 away.

If moving Smith got him through to the next away Ashes in 2027 and he averages 57 I would be delighted.

He will still be younger than Khawaja is now.

And a few years of Smith would hopefully give Pucovski time to cement himself as the next in line

SMITH'S AVERAGES WHEN ARRIVING AFTER...
1-2 overs: 6 innings; 3x100s; 1x50; 531 runs @ 106.2
3-5 overs: 18 innings; 2x100s; 4x50; 726 runs @ 42.7
6-10 overs: 23 innings; 4x100s; 7x50s; 1452 runs @ 66

0-5 overs: 24 inns; 5x100s; 5x50s; 1257 @ 57.13
0-10 overs: 47 inns; 9x100s; 12x50s; 2709 runs @ 61.5
Unleash the challenge!

Yeah honestly after posting that I’m like ‘I guess Smith isn’t a stranger to being out there early and he’s been fine’

May need a few innings to settle into it after being at 4 for a while now, but why not.

I’d still like to see Renners there, but I know they’ll want Green in there as often as possible so Smith moving up is the easiest

When I mentioned bowlers before and no leftie to replace Starc, I clearly forgot Johnson.

Khawaja was 35 and it has revived his career. He's averaging 57 as an opener in 29 Tests.

51 at home and 60 away.

If moving Smith got him through to the next away Ashes in 2027 and he averages 57 I would be delighted.

He will still be younger than Khawaja is now.

Bit of a difference recalling a bloke and moving probably the best test bat in the world's position.

You make it sound like Smith is on the verge of being dropped, if he's not in the Ashes in 27 it will be because he has retired.

Bit of a difference recalling a bloke and moving probably the best test bat in the world's position.

You make it sound like Smith is on the verge of being dropped, if he's not in the Ashes in 27 it will be because he has retired.

I think he was referring to revitalising Smith and helping him extend his career. Smith has looked a bit over it in recent times and looks like he needs a new challenge. If he gets it, it might just be what's needed to rejuvenate him and get a few extra years out of him.

I think he was referring to revitalising Smith and helping him extend his career. Smith has looked a bit over it in recent times and looks like he needs a new challenge. If he gets it, it might just be what's needed to rejuvenate him and get a few extra years out of him.

Then we've got a significant hole in our middle order. He hasn't been averaging 60 but he's still making contributions.

Also it's the West Indies, they're bringing a whole bunch of uncapped players. No better chance to try and fill Warner's spot with someone trying to find their way and possibly building a bit of confidence.

Then we've got a significant hole in our middle order. He hasn't been averaging 60 but he's still making contributions.

Also it's the West Indies, they're bringing a whole bunch of uncapped players. No better chance to try and fill Warner's spot with someone trying to find their way and possibly building a bit of confidence.

I'm not sure you read what I actually wrote.

Smith as an opener still has him in the team. Smith as a retired middle order bat doesn't do anything about your said significant hole.

It would be a risk to open with your all rounder.
The all-rounder that averages 34 at test level and 47 at FC at 24. The narrative needs to change he is an all-rounder whilst technically he is the bloke is not even remotely in the team for his bowling ability. He bats in the absolute shittest spot in world cricket if you want to build genuine traditional innings. As good as Head has been I never quite understood why the **** that just goes out and whacks it bats 5 over the bloke who is best off building a genuine innings and is struggling adjacent (to a degree) at 6.

I’d have him as 3rd option to open I do agree there but just after Bancroft and Smith but I’d be wanting to get him in the side over Bancroft and that would be at 4 for mine. I don’t think there is such thing as failing for Steve Smith so I’d be backing him in. Could very well be the difference between holding onto him for another 3/4 years or him calling it after the next ashes.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Midean
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.