NEWS Who will be fullback?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Mike Colman speculates in the The Courier-Mail:

Despite early money on Isaako to slot into the number 1, seems he hasn't wrapped it up yet. The only certainty is it won't be Boyd back there. He'll probably partner Staggs in the centres. Which would leave Jack Bird hanging. But as it transpires Bird has also been training at fullback.

Then there's ex-Titan Jesse Arthars who Seibold coached at Souths. He prefers fullback, but could also fill in at centre or wing.

Arthars said:

“I can bring a lot of speed out the back. I can talk a lot out the back as well. At the end of the day it just depends what Seibs wants from his fullback."

Which is not what he got from Boyd or Milford. We know that much. Nor what he saw from Isaako in 2019.

And then there's Cowboy's discard Jordan Kahu, and Tongan international Tesi Niu, who's played Queensland under 18s in 2018 with David Fifita, Tom Dearden and Xavier Coates.

In other words: buggered if anyone knows.

McHunt

Last edited:
I personally really like the idea of Bird at fullback. IMO, we'll get more from him than Isaako (assuming he is fit enough)

you can start Boyd at center, if he show's he can't handle it, **** him off and bring in Farnwoth, Perese or Arthurs, depending on form

Isaako to start on the wing, of he doesn't perform, you have Coates (once he is ready), Farnworth, Perese, Arthurs or Kahu

my round 1 backline would be:

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Croft

Last edited:
Playing Bird at Fullback coming off an ACL is just a terrible idea, we all know it takes a good 18 months post-op to get back to even close to your best, and we want to throw him in arguably the most important position on the team that requires the most running and sideways movement??

Derp.

Playing Bird at Fullback coming off an ACL is just a terrible idea, we all know it takes a good 18 months post-op to get back to even close to your best, and we want to throw him in arguably the most important position on the team that requires the most running and sideways movement??

Derp.
Bird should be in centres. Why play Bird at FB just to find a spot for Boyd. Ridiculous idea.

If you discount his form in the middle to late part of last season, Isaako is the obvious choice. His form during the nines and international matches was pretty impressive. I'm still a little worried about his ability to break the line and hold the ball but I think his running and passing is perfectly fine for the job.

Last edited:
it's not to find a spot for Boyd ... if you move Isaako to the back, there is still a position for Boyd

it is because Bird would make a better fullback than Isaako
That's yet to be seen

Bird should be in centres. Why play Bird at FB just to find a spot for Boyd. Ridiculous idea.
Don't see how that's the reason. Looks to me like Bird is playing fullback because we need a ...

Fullback
Unless of course you're trying to make this about Boyd, again.

Don't see how that's the reason. Looks to me like Bird is playing fullback because we need a ...

Fullback
Unless of course you're trying to make this about Boyd, again.
After Boyds lilly livered piss week showings last season I hope that he is nowhere near first grade ever again. Dont think Bird would be better than Isaako at fullback and Bird would certainly be better in the centres.

After Boyds lilly livered piss week showings last season I hope that he is nowhere near first grade ever again. Dont think Bird would be better than Isaako at fullback and Bird would certainly be better in the centres.

How do you know that? Anyway, we have seen Bird in the centres. We haven't seen him at FB. These are trials. Let's find out what he's like.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky field goal
  • Fitzy
  • Cavalo
  • mystico
  • Allo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brocko
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • Wild Horse
  • Rookie Alan
  • Harry Sack
  • Spoon
  • Santa
  • Thelmus
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.