NEWS Why Anthony Seibold should make Anthony Milford a co-captain at the Broncos

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
The Bunker: Why Anthony Seibold should make Anthony Milford a co-captain at the Broncos

Source: Courier Mail
EDIT: Added source link

Last edited by a moderator:
Just give him a fancy title like Dwight had in the Office and move on, in the end putting a (C) after his name doesn't change how important to the side he is or has been, no less then Darren Lockyer was when Tallis was captain.

Last edited:
I don't know about captain but surely he is already in a leadership role as chief playmaker. If he isn't he should be.
That alone should place him in a role requiring a more mature outlook, and to be honest I think it has already been shown in the way he has approached the responsibility and the increased work ethic with it that he has grown a lot from both that and the stability of his personal life with his partner, recently becoming a father.
Does he really need to be captain? I think it's unnecessary at this stage and may actually be counterproductive to the goal of getting the best out of both himself and his teammates.
When Boyd goes, sure but only if he is ready to take on it as more than just a brand building exercise.
Our next captain should be our best trainer, a player others can rely on when things get tough, and someone who can both lift the weight of pressures and expectations on his teammates when neccessary but drive a positive culture within the club as well.
There are plenty of players that fill some of that criteria, but perhaps not all of them.
For mine Macca is the ideal candidate and whilst not the kind of superstar we normally have, is a consistent player and leader, on and off the field. He handles himself well in interviews and is obviously someone other players look to. Is he perfect? No and someone might come along who supplants him with superior skill but I think he would grow with the role and if Siebold can make a journeyman hooker into an origin star he might be able to get a little more from macca.
Regardless, until Darius finally gives in to his hamstring issues its all speculation anyway.

Need a tough man to be captain, ie Tallis / Hodgy. Needs respect from the opposition as well as team mates. M. Lodge would be perfect if he continues as is and stays. Communication with him doesn’t seem to be a problem. Maybe he is being groomed.

Last edited:
I don't have a news LTD sub, who's the author of that article?

I mean, you could just chuck your highest paid player as captain and hope he rises to the occasion. I'd rather him consistently show that he deserves to be one though first, just like Boyd in 2015 and 2016 (even though his captaincy hasn't been particularly great).

Just give him a fancy title like Dwight had in the Office and move on, in the end putting a (C) after his name doesn't change how important to the side he is or has been, no less then Darren Lockyer was when Tallis was captain.

Michael!!

In terms of out of season tripe articles, that's up there.

Love Milf, but that article is clutching at straws

Need a tough man to be captain, ie Tallis / Hodgy. Needs respect from the opposition as well as team mates. M. Lodge would be perfect if he continues as is and stays. Communication with him doesn’t seem to be a problem. Maybe he is being groomed.
I be reluctant to go there for a number of reasons. Whilst I respect the way he has reformed himself and is a fine leader of sorts among the forwards, the captain is so much more than just a leader of men.
He represents the club to anyone new to the game or to whom they would seek to coax to support it. For all wewmight wish it were not so, lodge will forever be tied to his past by some, despite the reform. Furthermore, like a reformed thief ("once a thief, always a thief") there are permanent, limiting consequences to his potential future that are inherent to past actions, despite the perceived injustice that the expectation of recommittal of violence appears to be.
The loss of trust from society is a consequence that needs to be accepted as long term if not permanent.
Besides that, there is the fact that the man that leads the team (unless as co-captain) will be missing for 20 minutes a game, whilst he rests for a second stint.
With such a young side that would hardly be ideal.

Matt Lodge wants to lead Brisbane’s forwards as they launch their own legacy
Broncos enforcer Matt Lodge has declared there is no other forward pack he would rather play with in the NRL, backing Brisbane’s big men to create a legacy at the club.
The young guns of the Broncos pack will be required to step up in 2019, following the losses of Sam Thaiday (retirement), Josh McGuire (Cowboys) and Korbin Sims (Dragons) since last year.
The likes of Joe Ofahengaue, 23, and Tevita Pangai Jr, 22, are expected to become weekly starters alongside Lodge, while teenage duo David Fifita, 18, and Payne Haas, 19, are in the frame for bench spots.
Talented props Patrick Carrigan and Thomas Flegler will also be pushing for their NRL debuts this year.
df439921c632fcb6f6bf31329c1f6fa0

Lodge was one of Brisbane’s best last season. AAP Image/Dan Peled.
While there is still plenty of experience in Matt Gillett and Alex Glenn, the majority of the pack will be under the age of 24.
But Lodge, 23, believes the young forwards are ready to make history.
“We are focused on building a legacy here at the moment,” Lodge said of the pack.
“We haven’t got the results we wanted (at club level).
“(Thaiday, McGuire and Sims) were awesome and we’ve learned a lot off them.
“But the club here has shown a lot of faith in our younger players and me personally, I wouldn’t trade any of the young ones at the moment for any of the other experienced players in the comp.
“We’ve got Payne, Patty Carrigan, Tom Flegler and heaps coming through and I am confident they are not just going to do a job, but do it well.”
Lodge is also looking forward to his good friend Pangai Jr playing more in the middle this season, after coach Anthony Seibold told NRL.com he does not view the young Tongan as an edge forward.
956688fea198c5c6a7be24f76e66ff4b

Lodge will be Brisbane’s top prop in 2019. AAP Image/Dan Peled.
He said together they can lead the rest of the pack and set an example for those coming through the ranks.
“He is definitely up to it,” Lodge said of Pangai Jr shifting to the middle.
“We’ve got a lot of good young middles coming through and Tevita is one of the best of them.
“He wants to play there and he is ready to take the minutes on and do the best job he can.
“We are looking forward to taking the forward pack by the reins and doing our job and working together.
“There are a few other boys who are embracing it as well.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/ae5702d47f4371410e4cd8c820b35554

Still think he’s a chance.

Last edited:
Milford struggles at the moment (last season anyway) to control the game so why would you want to put extra responsibility on him at this stage $$$ has NOTHING to do with being a Captain

Nope. You have A captain. He's not much of a player now, but Daria is still our captain. The only one.

Milford struggles at the moment (last season anyway) to control the game so why would you want to put extra responsibility on him at this stage $$$ has NOTHING to do with being a Captain

Not a mountain of evidence to back the suggestion, but you can’t deny he’s controlling games more. The Roosters game at the end for example

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.