Why Gillett can be Kangaroos' backbone

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WHEN Mal Meninga stepped into the Kangaroos hot seat last year, one of his missions was to restore prestige to the Australian jumper, built on a bedrock of mateship and loyalty.

If he wants a posterboy for the regeneration of the national team, Meninga need look no further than Matt Gillett.

The Broncos back-rower will be a key weapon for Australia on Friday night when he runs out in the No.12 jumper in the Anzac Test against New Zealand at Canberra’s GIO Stadium.

But to appreciate the importance of Gillett’s on-field presence, you need to understand the off-field ethos that makes him the heart and soul of Brisbane’s pack.

In rugby league’s cutthroat age, where many players are driven by the dollar, Gillett thrives on the very trait Meninga cultivates in Camp Kangaroo — loyalty.

Last year, Gillett, 28, sacrificed $1 million to remain a Bronco. The Sharks, who would go on to become NRL premiers, blew Brisbane out of the water, tabling a deal worth an extra $250,000 annually over four years.

Gillett resisted, signing a new four-year upgrade with the Broncos. His form this season is proof money doesn’t guarantee happiness. On Friday night, the Kiwis will confront a ferocious back-rower whom Broncos coach Wayne Bennett believes is playing the best football of his seven-year NRL career.

“I like his loyalty. He is a total team player,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail.

“The truth is Matt took a lot less to stay with us. I’m not talking a little bit. He took a substantial pay cut. That is testament to his loyalty and what the Broncos are built on.

“A lot of guys over the years have taken less to stay here and Matt was another example. I was actually never too worried about losing him. There was no reason for him to go.

“I made it clear to him how much he meant to us, he loves living in Brisbane, he’s a Broncos kid and he will finish his career here — simple as that.

“From my point of view, this is the best football I’ve seen him play. I can’t recall him playing so well.”

Gillett clinched Test and Origin jumpers on the back of his dynamic bursts in attack, but it is constitution without the ball that has taken his game to another level.

In nine games this season, he has amassed more than 40 tackles in a match four times. Against the Titans three weeks ago, he produced the kick chargedown on Kane Elgey that broke Gold Coast’s hearts.

While exhausted Broncos teammates were heaving and struggling, Gillett harassed Elgey, forcing the error that led to James Roberts’ match-winner. The chargedown occurred in the 78th minute. It was a salient lesson. The Kiwis will soon discover Gillett plays until the last second.

“To be honest, I wasn’t surprised by what he did against the Titans because that’s Matt — he always plays until the end,” Bennett said.

“He works hard in everything he does. He has the attitude you want in every player.

“The good thing about Matt is that he’s just a pro. He looks to improve himself all the time. He is very low maintenance. He is a very good person. he doesn’t require a lot of attention. He is always ready to play and in that state of mind to do his best.

“I’ve seen a lot more maturity in Matt. It’s being a part of Origin and Test football, that has really helped his confidence.

“He sees guys from other clubs and what he brings and what they bring and realises he’s got all the bases pretty well covered.”

Gillett plays his seventh Test on Friday night and his time in the national team represents a tribute of sorts.

Growing up in Bribie Island, Gillett and his good mate Todd Parnell held Brisbane scholarships. They shared a collective dream to play for the Broncos.

It has been almost a decade since Parnell was tragically killed in an off-field incident. When Gillett was handed his maiden green-and-gold jumper in 2014, he dedicated it to Parnell and his late grandfathers, Vic and Allan.

“It was tragic what happened to Todd,” Gillett once told The Courier-Mail. “His life ended pretty early, and I still find it hard to talk about.

“I keep in touch with Todd’s parents. I see the stuff they write on Facebook ... they are still missing him a lot.”

With his unusual running gait, Gillett does not move with the grace of Billy Slater or Darren Lockyer, but Bennett saw other qualities that would stand the test of time.

“I first saw him in our under-20s and I remember how raw he was,” Bennett said.

“But I realised Matt was a player. He’s not your normal-looking football player in the sense that he has a different running style and he has a certain rawness about him.

“He always had a knack of breaking tackles and doing things that stood out.

“You never know if they will become a rep player, but I could see him becoming something special.

At the moment, he is in a really good place in the game.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/2fd7dd594dac41b89cadc625cd818878

There are some players that you are just so glad they play for your team and not the opposition. This most certainly applies to Matt Gillet. I don't remember him ever letting us down. "A workhorse superstar"

Last edited:
He is the best. Incredible player and perfect attitude. Got the chance to meet him 2 years ago and he is a champion bloke too.

Some players could learn a lot from Matt. *cough* Milford *cough* *cough*

Even if he was and opposition player I think I'd find it hard to hate him.

I reckon we all take him for granted sometimes (except Porthoz). He's brilliant.

There are some players that you are just so glad they play for your team and not the opposition. This most certainly applies to Matt Gillet. I don't remember him ever letting us down. "A workhorse superstar"

He has let us down before..

Semi Final against the Cowboys in 2016.

Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine [emoji13]

He has let us down before..

Semi Final against the Cowboys in 2016.
He sacrificed himself to play anyway with a bum shoulder, so he wouldn't let the team down. Hallmark of a great team player!
Criticism should be directed entirely at those whom let him take the field that day...

Yeah, let's just completely ignore the trip that cost us the win.

Great player, but can have a brain explosion in him.

Yeah, let's just completely ignore the trip that cost us the win.

Great player, but can have a brain explosion in him.

Doesn't every 'great' player? Everyone has had an epic ****-up at some stage of their career. Law of averages

Smith choked out Sammy and missed the 08 GF for example

d1affb2c9676d7e3b57ab97e53b7ca22.jpg

Because without it, Thurston breaks through our line in the red zone, but the Cowboys wouldn't score? Cool story.

Nope. They don't score. Because Thurston was linking up with Coote to go back on the onside and try to take advantage of the space, which was covered.

Hunt was there to wrap up Thurston in case he decided to go himself. Kahu and Pearson were there to shut down Bowen and Ponga.

I would back our defence in this situation.

But let's not forget that Gillett was in a position to make a tackle, but decided to trip instead.

Vlcsnap 2017 05 06 23h34m03s713

Nope. They don't score. Because Thurston was linking up with Coote to go back on the onside and try to take advantage of the space, which was covered.

Hunt was there to wrap up Thurston in case he decided to go himself. Kahu and Pearson were there to shut down Bowen and Ponga.

I would back our defence in this situation.

But let's not forget that Gillett was in a position to make a tackle, but decided to trip instead.

View attachment 1315

Boooooooo! Let it go.

All champions have brain fades. It was a weak penalty at best considering what else is let go. I blame our loss on Roberts and his stupid play that got him suspended.

Oh boy... not only can SF read minds, he can also predict the future! :porthozthinksthisishot:

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • bazza
  • Browny
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • The True King
  • Broncs1459
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.