NEWS Why Haas Rejected 6m Offer

Gents I’ll throw up this hypothetical for discussion….

Storm need forwards next year. So far they’ve only signed Tariq Sims but are losing NAS, Bromwich x 2 and Brendon Smith after having lost Finucane the year before. They will be even harder to replace because these are middle to top tier forwards who have played above their value level for some time and is a huge chunk of experience to lose in one hit.

They will flat out refuse to release Munster early meaning we will have to wait a year before getting into a shoot out with the Dolphins for his signature for 2024.

However….

We have something that could effectively wipe out the Dolphins even getting to the negotiating table with Munster. Let’s call it a Payne Haas sized ace up our sleeve.

I’m interested to know after recent developments, how many of us on this forum would entertain the idea of offering up Payne Haas to the Storm for 2023 in order for them to release Munster to us a year early?

I believe that would be a hard offer for Melbourne to turn down if they truly believe Munster will leave in 2024 anyway and if this gives them a top tier forward to lead their rebuilding forward pack. Welch has had his 3rd major leg related injury in his career too so there is that unknown cloud hanging over there head which will add to the leverage.

This isn’t a stab at Haas or getting ahead of myself just because we proved there is life without him after our last win but if it came down to giving Payne close a million or bringing in Munster on a million, I’m picking Munster 99 times out of 100.

Signing Reynolds this season and seeing what it has done to our club and the hole it has left South’s proves that top tier playmakers don’t just grow on trees and are worth their weight in gold.
I’m all for the idea in theory.

I don’t want Munster. I could be wrong but I get the feeling he’s going to be one of those players that fall off a cliff pretty quickly outside the Storm system and in many ways, we’d be sacrificing our future in Mam for a high priced gamble of the now.

Plus he doesn’t like us. If he did come though, I would happily love to be proven wrong.

I don’t want Munster. I could be wrong but I get the feeling he’s going to be one of those players that fall off a cliff pretty quickly outside the Storm system and in many ways, we’d be sacrificing our future in Mam for a high priced gamble of the now.

Plus he doesn’t like us. If he did come though, I would happily love to be proven wrong.
Yeah me too.

I'd rather keep our junior than give Storm anything.

It's not just about how will we go without Haas, it's also how will we go against Haas. Giving him to one of the strongest teams in the competition just makes our premiership chances so much harder for the next decade.

Also, Munster is a dickhead, no thanks. I'd rather Gamble.

There's absolutely no guarantee that Mam is going to be a good NRL level player either. I don't think the Broncos can just hope for that, they need to be looking at many other options too. He could just as easily turn out to be another dud.

Storm need forwards next year. So far they’ve only signed Tariq Sims but are losing NAS, Bromwich x 2 and Brendon Smith after having lost Finucane the year before. They will be even harder to replace because these are middle to top tier forwards who have played above their value level for some time and is a huge chunk of experience to lose in one hit.

They will flat out refuse to release Munster early meaning we will have to wait a year before getting into a shoot out with the Dolphins for his signature for 2024.

However….

We have something that could effectively wipe out the Dolphins even getting to the negotiating table with Munster. Let’s call it a Payne Haas sized ace up our sleeve.

I’m interested to know after recent developments, how many of us on this forum would entertain the idea of offering up Payne Haas to the Storm for 2023 in order for them to release Munster to us a year early?

I believe that would be a hard offer for Melbourne to turn down if they truly believe Munster will leave in 2024 anyway and if this gives them a top tier forward to lead their rebuilding forward pack. Welch has had his 3rd major leg related injury in his career too so there is that unknown cloud hanging over there head which will add to the leverage.

This isn’t a stab at Haas or getting ahead of myself just because we proved there is life without him after our last win but if it came down to giving Payne close a million or bringing in Munster on a million, I’m picking Munster 99 times out of 100.

Signing Reynolds this season and seeing what it has done to our club and the hole it has left South’s proves that top tier playmakers don’t just grow on trees and are worth their weight in gold.
I'd be happy to do the swap in a heartbeat. Put Munster in Thursday night's game and we win by an extra 20. We also don't lose the Roosters or Warriors games for sure. Those extra 4 points would see us sitting equal with the Storm on the ladder.

All very hypothetical because Haas has to be willing to move to Melbourne and Munster to come to us. Haas may very well not want to move to Victoria, particularly with there being no certainty as to how long Bellamy is going to continue to coach.

I want mam to come out and be a bloody immortal, Munster seems like a wanker and mam seems like a good quiet kid who developed with us.

BUT out wooden spoon and 14th together with fifita, Walsh and coates have shown us that POTENTIAL doesn't mean shit for us when the salary cap is busy doing its job "evening" out the clubs. You need results now-all the time, potential just means you pay more now for someone to get them IF they do become good.
It breeds a good environment where we are more likely to keep juniors "for unders" anyway...

There's absolutely no guarantee that Mam is going to be a good NRL level player either. I don't think the Broncos can just hope for that, they need to be looking at many other options too. He could just as easily turn out to be another dud.

Yeah man I get it, I just don’t think Munster has any interest in coming to us and our current options are clearly doing fine. We more desperately need a 1. That is most important.

Yeah man I get it, I just don’t think Munster has any interest in coming to us and our current options are clearly doing fine. We more desperately need a 1. That is most important.

TMM is doing fine at the moment. Would rather a better 6 or 9.

TMM could be that 6......if we can come up with a better 1 option.

Exactly....how many times has someone whos looked like a promise, fallen well short when it comes to delivering

heaps.

I don't wanna break the bank on Munster, but if he's keen and a reasonable deal is struck......you'd have to have rocks in your head not to want him at the club. The game he put on a few weeks back shows that when he can get it right.......he's the best player in the league, by a substantial distance.

Exactly....how many times has someone whos looked like a promise, fallen well short when it comes to delivering

heaps.

I don't wanna break the bank on Munster, but if he's keen and a reasonable deal is struck......you'd have to have rocks in your head not to want him at the club. The game he put on a few weeks back shows that when he can get it right.......he's the best player in the league, by a substantial distance.
We have seen the difference just one quality spine player has made to us.

However….

IF this Munster to Broncos thing wasn't a complete furfie, I would suggest that would be a perfectly sensible transaction for both clubs. They need a talented Prop, we need a talented spine player. They won't see it as equitable though. It is a forward for a spine player.

850k next season is already pushing the limits, no way I’d go above that and it might even be too much given how our other middle forwards are progressing.

Spend that on another quality spine player and we will win more games.
The issue is that a quality spine player has to be available. I’m happy to keep Haas until one is, but if we’re paying him mega bucks it has to be on a short term deal so that we can be in the market for someone like Walsh. If Haas wants a longer term deal he can take a haircut.

I doubt Storm would ever let Munster go early no matter what, they will never get a like for like replacement so they are much better off running his contract out, I also doubt we would ever get a trade for him and Haas because Melbourne's salary cap strat has always been spine focused which imo is the smartest strategy especially with the current rules.

Penrith have them slightly beat for now because they have even more players then they do on unders due to a golden generation of talent coming through on their early career contracts, but will completely struggle to hold when those existing contracts come up.

For me unless Haas develops a offload game he is worth offloading for an elite spine player, we are an elite 6 or 9 away from being premiership level but our window isn't long, Reynolds isn't young. Munster isn't a 6 who can be a 7 either so if we sign him later we are probably going to be at square one, it's not simple and probably not possible anyway.

I think we need to give Mam some game time soon to see how he handles 1st grade because he might be what makes or breaks this team having a title shot while Rey is here, though I feel our Hookers are getting better and Martin has been a massive upgrade at the back, having Gamble as a ship settler maybe could work if the team keeps progressing.

Active Now

• broncs30
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • heartly87
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • The True King
  • azza.79
  • Foordy
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.