Why its SO important we start well in 2022!

What memo did you get? Mine reads:

Rd1: Melbourne (A)
Rd2: Melbourne (A)
Rd3 : Panthers (A)
Rd4: Panthers (A)
Rd5: Melbourne (A)
Rd6: Panthers (A)

I've hear it will be a one off next year that the Broncos draw will be this above but for 24 rounds. Both byes are also listed for the win.

I've hear it will be a one off next year that the Broncos draw will be this above but for 24 rounds. Both byes are also listed for the win.
What difference does the draw make?

This current mob would find a way to get belted by the Capras.

V'landys is personally doing up our draw

Rd1: Melbourne
Rd2: Roosters
Rd3 : Eels
Rd4: Panthers
Rd6: Rabitohs
Rd7: Melbourne

Rd8: Roosters
Rd9 : Eels
Rd10: Panthers
Rd11: Rabbitohs
Rd12: Melbourne (makes an exemption so we can play them 3 times a year)
Rd13: NSW (also counts as our bye... another exemption)

Write the club off till the second Brisbane team is up and running, then we will go on a miraculous run to face them at Suncorp for the premiership to set up a rivalry for the ages.

Meanwhile Vlandys is diving into his money vault Scrooge Mcduck style.

Surely we can't get a similar shit draw next year like we did this year. Watching top 8 teams smash the wooden spooners on repeat would even have the Broncos haters starting to switch off or not bother watching at all let alone the neutrals.

After watching the performance we put in against the Roosters I believe we have the makings of a good team but just make too many unforced errors which are committed mainly by 2 players in particular (Milford and Isaako) and to a smaller degree by Flegler. Losing Milford next year is a huge plus and if we can manage to offload Isaako to the Tigers that will also be a huge bonus.

The difficulty is that unless we can start to turn things around and fairly quickly, in my view we are likely to lose what is left of the good players we were intending to base our future on like Haas, TPJ.

We still do not have a settled candidate for fullback, 5/8 or Hooper. Reynolds is a short term fix at halfback and we should already have a 20-21 year old half and 5/8 for him to mentor so they are ready to take over in 2-3 years, but we allowed both of them to walk out the door. I don't think the Staggs to 5/8 expirement is going to work.

All I can see is the continuation of our very poor succession planning and I fear that we are going to be down towards the bottom end of the ladder for an extended period unless things change.

The difficulty is that unless we can start to turn things around and fairly quickly, in my view we are likely to lose what is left of the good players we were intending to base our future on like Haas, TPJ.

We still do not have a settled candidate for fullback, 5/8 or Hooper. Reynolds is a short term fix at halfback and we should already have a 20-21 year old half and 5/8 for him to mentor so they are ready to take over in 2-3 years, but we allowed both of them to walk out the door. I don't think the Staggs to 5/8 expirement is going to work.

All I can see is the continuation of our very poor succession planning and I fear that we are going to be down towards the bottom end of the ladder for an extended period unless things change.
The succession plan was there, it's just that the Broncos stuck to a philosophy and didn't adapt. Its not like extremely talented fresh faced 20 year olds are coming out of nowhere these days. These guys have been in development systems since high school.

But I think we have the long term spine personally.
It just won't be our playmakers. 8. Carrigan 10. Hass 11. 13. Hetherington. 14. Flegler 15. Bullimor.

Reynolds will definately help, Gamble is a good injury replacement. And possibly James long term. Then throw whatever cocky young players you want around them.

So if you can change the thinking of what a spine is, then we actually don't look that screwed. As long as the bench forwards can realise that they are vital, that is just their role.

I'm not sold on Dufty and think we persist with Farnworth until Ponga becomes available. We either have the England fullback or Queensland one in the end.

Dufty is great on the eye, but Hook worked here for years, and if he isn't remotely interested in re-signing him, we really should be taking that as a warning. Forget what every Fox journalist is screaming. They all thought Croft would be an ideal fit too.

The succession plan was there, it's just that the Broncos stuck to a philosophy and didn't adapt. Its not like extremely talented fresh faced 20 year olds are coming out of nowhere these days. These guys have been in development systems since high school.

But I think we have the long term spine personally.
It just won't be our playmakers. 8. Carrigan 10. Hass 11. 13. Hetherington. 14. Flegler 15. Bullimor.

Reynolds will definately help, Gamble is a good injury replacement. And possibly James long term. Then throw whatever cocky young players you want around them.

So if you can change the thinking of what a spine is, then we actually don't look that screwed. As long as the bench forwards can realise that they are vital, that is just their role.

I'm not sold on Dufty and think we persist with Farnworth until Ponga becomes available. We either have the England fullback or Queensland one in the end.

Dufty is great on the eye, but Hook worked here for years, and if he isn't remotely interested in re-signing him, we really should be taking that as a warning. Forget what every Fox journalist is screaming. They all thought Croft would be an ideal fit too.
Mate, if you believe that our forwards are going to be our `spine' we will have no hope of getting back into the top four. We have been trialling that system for the last two years, it has not worked.

We need to spend less on forwards and redirect that money to getting competent/good players into the hooker/5/8 and fullback positions. We also need to ensure that we are developing a half to replace Reynolds in 2-3 years. If we don't do this we will become the West Tigers consistently sitting just outside the top 8.

Mate, if you believe that our forwards are going to be our `spine' we will have no hope of getting back into the top four. We have been trialling that system for the last two years, it has not worked.

We need to spend less on forwards and redirect that money to getting competent/good players into the hooker/5/8 and fullback positions. We also need to ensure that we are developing a half to replace Reynolds in 2-3 years. If we don't do this we will become the West Tigers consistently sitting just outside the top 8.

We possibly already have a future 1, 6, 7 and 9. The problem is we don’t have a current 1, 6 and 9. That is where we need to fill the gaps. It seems the club recognises this and going after 3 of them in Reynolds, Hynes and Hodgson plus manufacturing a 6 from Staggs. Missing Hynes we now need to also manufacture a 1. At least there is reason to what the club is trying to do finally.

****, @Midean beat me to it

The Brisbane Broncos will not be a competitive team until 2024. They may improve to just outside the top 8 next year, but 2023 means Brisbane 2.0 enters the competition. Once they have a decent entry season and have established a decent following (stealing some of the less rusted on Broncos and merely interested newcomers) the Broncos will be returned to a more reputable position in the league. The derby between Brisbane teams will be epic 1 pointers and the two teams may even compete for a GF. 2024 will be Reynolds' swansong year and he will win it after a hard road leading this luckless young Broncos team to a GF victory.

I hope I'm wrong about having to wait so long, but not about a GF win

mmm...point taken.....reads pretty harsh.....more about leaving a Wayne Bennett coach to a utter rookie....one dont often see the games best do something like that....
Kevvie isn’t exactly a rookie head coach… Head coach in ISC at 2 clubs, head coach in Super League, 4 years as origin coach, this year as an NRL head coach and will be into his 2nd year as an NRL head coach, by the time Reynolds gets here.

That’s a bit more than utter rookie, which is what he would have under JD at Souffs…

Kevvie isn’t exactly a rookie head coach… Head coach in ISC at 2 clubs, head coach in Super League, 4 years as origin coach, this year as an NRL head coach and will be into his 2nd year as an NRL head coach, by the time Reynolds gets here.

That’s a bit more than utter rookie, which is what he would have under JD at Souffs…
I agree with this plus he has Cartwright and Matterson to help. However, he is also tasked with rebuilding our once powerful club - a job, you would think, should be left to one more experienced at such things. Also taking into account he is expected to do this with the same, or close to the same, administrators that got us into this mess. Big job for any coach let alone one in his first year in NRL. Good luck Kevin.

We did exactly that, it's just at 20-21 year old Halves are not looking to be mentored and 'take over in 2-3 years' anymore.

There wouldn't be a 21 year old Half in the country who isn't looking for the very first opportunity to play NRL as soon as next week, not 3 years from now. It's a sign of the times unfortunately.

I don't disagree with you. We need to develop strike centres and utility playmakers. Then we need to develop the guy who will succeed Reynolds.

But the spine of a team is something you build around. We didn't build around our playmakers, we built around the pack.

Thought i would do a sproj and explore a team list for 2022.

Short of any new signings or players leaving i wouldnt mind seeing us lining up as follows:
1. Herbie/cobbo/ (external signing)
2. Mead
3. Staggs (if we are looking at him getting him more involved we could do what nsw did with turbo)
4. Lee
5. Herbie (if not at fullback)/cobbo/tass
6. Kelly (and developing mam in ISC through the year and possibly coming in later in the season if he continues his trajectory)
7. Reynolds
8. Lodge
9. Turpin/paix
10. Hass
11. Riki/piakura (whoever performs best for the remainder of the year and preseason)
12. TPJ
13. Asiata
14. Hetherington/paix/ gamble (gamble could come on and adopt the ball playing 13 role when asiata requires a break- enabling us to play a consistent game throughout)
15. Carrigan
16. Kennedy
17. Bullemore

TC robati, Flegler, hetherington, riki, piakura subbing in and out during the season based on form and to keep our forwards fresh. If we are struggling for metres out the back oates could always come in.

I think this side would give us a nice mix of youth and experience, and if we are able to fix our defensive structures/systems/strategy we could scrape into the finals.

Thought i would do a sproj and explore a team list for 2022.

Short of any new signings or players leaving i wouldnt mind seeing us lining up as follows:
1. Herbie/cobbo/ (external signing)
2. Mead
3. Staggs
4. Lee
5. Herbie (if not at fullback)/cobbo/tass
6. Kelly (and developing mam in ISC through the year and possibly coming in later in the season if he continues his trajectory)
7. Reynolds
8. Lodge
9. Turpin/paix
10. Hass
11. Riki/piakura (whoever performs best for the remainder of the year and preseason)
12. TPJ
13. Asiata
14. Hetherington/paix/ gamble (gamble could come on and adopt the ball playing 13 role when asiata requires a break- enabling us to play a consistent game throughout)
15. Carrigan
16. Kennedy
17. Bullemore

TC, Flegler, hetherington, riki, piakura subbing in and out during the season based on form and to keep our forwards fresh. If we are struggling for metres out the back oates could always come in.

I think this side would give us a nice mix of youth and experience, and if we are able to fix our defensive structures/systems/strategy we could scrape into the finals.

No Robati? He looks like he might have already gone past Bullemor at least, maybe even Flegler and Carrigan.

Active Now

• Dash
  • theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.