Wildcard Weekend

It's a great idea. The top 6 would get a much needed break and it will keep the fans of the lower placed teams interested for a little longer. Imagine Round 26 and there are 4 teams vying for a wildcard spot. It is ratings gold and the interest levels will go through the roof. It's not about rewarding mediocrity because the winners of this tourney will be cannon fodder the next week anyways. Ch. 9 and Foxtel are all for the idea and they run the game, so I expect it to come into play in 2020. Some fans are against the concept because they hate change but they will get used to it in time and will have their eyes glued firmly to the box. I'm sure if the Broncos are sitting in tenth, you would have a different opinion.

The more I think about it the more I realise this is something they came up with in 10 minutes to release and try to get people talking about instead of sex tapes. They can't actually be serious can they?

The more I think about it the more I realise this is something they came up with in 10 minutes to release and try to get people talking about instead of sex tapes. They can't actually be serious can they?
The way Rothfield is fapping over it has me concerned though.

The way Rothfield is fapping over it has me concerned though.

I actually wouldn't mind a 3\4 playoff between the prelim losers at the homeground of whoever finished higher. Have it on the Friday night or something. There's some more money if that's what they are proposing this for.

It's a great idea. The top 6 would get a much needed break and it will keep the fans of the lower placed teams interested for a little longer. Imagine Round 26 and there are 4 teams vying for a wildcard spot. It is ratings gold and the interest levels will go through the roof. It's not about rewarding mediocrity because the winners of this tourney will be cannon fodder the next week anyways. Ch. 9 and Foxtel are all for the idea and they run the game, so I expect it to come into play in 2020. Some fans are against the concept because they hate change but they will get used to it in time and will have their eyes glued firmly to the box. I'm sure if the Broncos are sitting in tenth, you would have a different opinion.

As Kent said last night, they way shit like this is going we will have WWE signage up at games in a few years.

This would be a finals farce, similar to what happened in the ARL 97 competition where 7 of the 12 teams featured in the finals.

As Kent said last night, they way shit like this is going we will have WWE signage up at games in a few years.
That is one man's opinion and that is a man who constantly berates the game despite it being responsible for the food on his table. We all got used to the 10 mtr rule, the salary cap, video refs, golden point, banishment of the shoulder charge etc and those changes altered the core of the game. We will cope with a couple more teams contesting the playoffs. I look forward to it.

It's pretty dumb for sure. I'm sure more people will actually agree that 8 is too many already.

That is one man's opinion and that is a man who constantly berates the game despite it being responsible for the food on his table. We all got used to the 10 mtr rule, the salary cap, video refs, golden point, banishment of the shoulder charge etc and those changes altered the core of the game. We will cope with a couple more teams contesting the playoffs. I look forward to it.
Wests Tigers fan comfirmed?

It will make winning out of the top 4 even harder than it currently is and make winning from 7th down to 10th impossible unless a team is having a Parra like run. I don't like the concept, but it's not like the Warriors and Dragons had any hope last year so adding two other hopeless sides won't make a difference. Getting the week off for teams 1-6 will likely improve the quality of the finals as well.

EDIT: It'd be a great idea if we had another two teams and maybe that's what it's designed for long term?

Last edited:
Wildcard weekend.......week off before the finals........ it's window dressing

Call it what it is

The finals are now top 10, simple as that

It's not whether or not team 10 can win the wildcard and make the finals, they already made the finals

Nice catering to Tigers, Raiders and Warriors fans NRL. They still won't go anywhere deep into the finals. This is just a quick ratings/cash grab.

Also those 51% single celled amoebas on NRL.com are the same dumbfucks that voted for "Cowboys best ever premiership team in history" last year. This sport has gone downhill fast since 2010 and also cannot improve if the majority of the fanbase is fucking garbage.

The person who raised this is a former CEO of which team?...The Titans ofcourse....as they never make it past 9th.
Anyway if they are tinkering with the NRL why don't they tinker with the SOO and make the series be played after the finals, that way it is fair game for all teams playing each round with their best players available for every round! Common sense really.

I like the theory that this was just the NRL's way to distract the media from all the off-field drama. The only problem is, if this doesn't go through, they just revealed that there were 30+ games a season that meant absolutely nothing. It's true of all sports, but I wouldn't exactly be advertising that, especially when you're charging families hundreds to come along and support the game.

The one idea I don't mind is giving teams a week off to recuperate. It would give players time to recover from strains and knocks, ensuring that the finals were of the highest of quality. It would also create a nice distinction between the finals and the regular season, allowing the media to host the Dally Ms and have everybody present. I'm fine with it either way, but if the coaches and the players wanted it, I wouldn't have an issue taking a week off and getting a post-moretem on all the clubs that didn't qualify.

The AFL already do the week off thing pre-playoffs and it has had a mixed reception at best. For team one and two, you are looking at potentially two weeks off in the business end of the season. It is great for recovery but terrible for cohesion and week-to-week grind. The two sides in the AFL that finished 1 and 2 both struggled in the prelims as a result.

Granted I don't really watch a lot of AFL, but from the outside looking in the prelims haven't tossed up that many surprises. The biggest one was Richmond getting blown off the park by the Maggies, but even then, the Tigers didn't strike me as a dynasty club and were doing well to come up with the achievements they did.

Also the AFL still schedules the Brownlow for Grand Final week, which kind of defeats the point.

Active Now

• Bish
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Sproj
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Matheos
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.