Will Ben Hunt ever play Origin?

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Ben Hunt unlucky, but rightfully overlooked for Michael Morgan as the utility player for QLD after being a shadow player for game 2 & 3 last year. So, the question has to be asked, will Ben Hunt ever play Origin?

You would have to think that Cherry-Evans will have a mortgage on the QLD #7 for the next 5-6 years after Cronk retires or is removed. You'd also have to think that Morgan now has the inside running on the 5-8 position which I thought after last year might be Hunt's way into the side and also Milford will also be a strong contender for the position. Next, you look at bench utility, which could be Morgan's long term position and there are also other strong contenders in Friend, McCullough & Segyaro headlining a strong list.

Of course this question will be turned on it's head when Hunt becomes the best player in the game and leads the Broncos to 3 straight premierships and passes Cherry-Evans as QLD's best halfback, but unless this happens or there is injury It's hard to see Hunt making the QLD side.

He'll be lucky to play origin, his kicking game and game management isn't really up to origin level at the moment, but who knows, he may improve those aspects of his game in the next year or two.

At the moment Morgan/Milford & Cherry-Evans is the most likely halves combination of the future.

No, but he should have last year in the second game. Had he done so he may have become a mainstay. I just don't see any chance for him at all.

I'm not sure if hunt will because for whatever reason guys like Morgan are preferred ahead of him.

I have grave concerns for QLD going forward if Michael Morgan is our five eight

Yeah, his kicking game just isn't good enough at the moment. I guess there's still time though. Having said that I can't see Morgan being in the halves either.

There's still time though. Who knows, someone new will undoubtedly pop up sooner or later. Possibly even Taylor or something.

Im pretty sure he will at some point. Morgan is not Origin calibre five eight material, he's a utility at best. So Hunt as a good shot at six, and even if he doesn't get it, injuries happen. Even in the past two years both Cronk and DCE have missed games.

Really though it's up to him. He has some flaws in his game that are pretty glaring, if he works on those and ups his game again then of course he'll play Origin.

That typo in the thread title.......it's annoying.

Can't somebody fix it !!!

db03dfb5b4a69ff9a953b20108ac5059.jpg

We've got plenty of potential Five-Eighth's for the future, assuming DCE locks down the Halfback spot for the next 5-7 years, even without mentioning Hunt.

Milford
Mbye
Morgan
Elgey
Taylor
J.Nikorima
Holmes
Munster

All these guys have potential to be pretty good within the next 2-5 years. (Holmes & Munster are both Fullbacks at the moment, but have the tools to be Five-Eighths)

Will Ben Hunt EVER play Origin ? As in ever ?

Yes - $1.02
No - $15

surprised it's even being questioned...

Of course he will. His kicking game has been poor, but he's pulled some absolute belters out right when it's been needed. At the back end of games, on the fourth, pinning the opposition down. And it's his second year full-time as our halfback.

Anyone think Morgan would still have been chosen over Hunt had he not scored that hat-trick?

If Hunt was in better form than Morgan, he more than likely would have been picked.

Hunt will play Origin one day, just not yet.

I don't know why people are so sure that DCE will be the long term option- he strikes me as promising a lot but very capable of delivering little. I'm a truw non believer when it comes to him- not the answer. I see Hunt as a better long term option than the back flipper.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.