Windows 7 Support Ending

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
I've been away the last month, and have only just now seen that Windows 7 support is finished. Gah.

Anyway, my home office PC is an HP i7 6700 Intel 3.40GHz, 8 GB Ram, 64 bit operating system.
Used exclusively for cloud software services, excel & word.

My question is this. Do I need to upgrade my whole PC or can I get away with just installing Windows 10? My GenX husband is incapable of change and learning technomological things, so we are stuck with Windows. (On a bright note, he can now use emoji's in text messages)

Nashy Nashy Kimlo Kimlo

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've been away the last month, and have only just now seen that Windows 7 support is finished. Gah.

Anyway, my home office PC is an HP i7 6700 Intel 3.40GHz, 8 GB Ram, 64 bit operating system.

My question is this. Do I need to upgrade my whole PC or can I get away with just installing Windows 10? My GenX husband is incapable of change and learning technomological things, so we are stuck with Windows. (On a bright note, he can now use emoji's in text messages)

Nashy Nashy Kimlo Kimlo
You can upgrade.

Kimlo Kimlo may know a trick to do it free..

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
mrslong mrslong do you mean upgrade the components of your PC, as in the RAM, CPU, etc? You definitely won't need to do that.

If you just mean upgrade to W10, yeah do it. I'd recommend a fresh install though.

Reds2011

U18 Player

Nashy Nashy Kimlo Kimlo
You can simply upgrade to W10 with those specs and the use it gets. Last W7 upgrade I did about 6 months ago was still a free upgrade as well! If you go to create W10 Installation Media on this link you should be able to take it from there.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
mrslong mrslong do you mean upgrade the components of your PC, as in the RAM, CPU, etc? You definitely won't need to do that.

If you just mean upgrade to W10, yeah do it. I'd recommend a fresh install though.
Would want to check on the licence upgrade path before this though. Because technically Windows 10 isn't a free upgrade anymore, I think you need to do it a specific way to get it for free.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
Would want to check on the licence upgrade path before this though. Because technically Windows 10 isn't a free upgrade anymore, I think you need to do it a specific way to get it for free.
Fair call bro, I have been out of the game for too long, so have no idea haha.

I do know the 'specific way' I did it though... ;)

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Fair call bro, I have been out of the game for too long, so have no idea haha.

I do know the 'specific way' I did it though... ;)
I'll wait for Kimlo to confirm, but I think it's as simple as throwing your Win 7 key into win 10 now and magic occurs.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation

Yeah, that's what I was asking. because microsoft have 2 choices - upgrade PC or just upgrade the software. PC isn't that old so was hoping I could just get away with the software upgrade.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Yep, it looks like I missed the boat on the free upgrade, but will look around to see if I can acquire it another way.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah, that's what I was asking. because microsoft have 2 choices - upgrade PC or just upgrade the software. PC isn't that old so was hoping I could just get away with the software upgrade.
Just grab this - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

It'll run the upgrade over the top of Windows 7. You can choose to keep everything, which saves your programs, or keep files only, which will only save your files but remove any programs which is the option I recommend. It won't ask you for a licence or anything, it'll just upgrade for free.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
FYI. You can right click and remove all the bullshit from the start menu and make it small again if you don't like the junk MS put there for you.
Good to know. Was looking at that and hating it. Why waste all that real estate on a search bar?? Internet browsing?

Speaking of which, what's your recommended web browser?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Good to know. Was looking at that and hating it. Why waste all that real estate on a search bar?? Internet browsing?

Speaking of which, what's your recommended web browser?
I use Chrome, but I think the new Chrome based Edge has finally launched, so I'll be moving to that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.