WTB mobo 1150lga

Renegade

NRL Captain
as above, mobo has died and rather than spending 1k to upgrade the cpu, mobo and ram, would rather buy a second hand board if someone has one available until such time that I can be bothered to shell out for an upgrade (i can afford it but i don't want to seeing as my other parts are working fine and doing what I need them to do performance wise)

preferably support 32gb as i have 4x8gb sticks and yeah.

if anyone has an old or spare one that is in working order, let me know, ta.

Renegade

NRL Captain
Kimlo broncospwn will be able to direct you to the right spot. You won't need that exact board if you can't get it though.
I'm hoping someone has a spare as they don't really make them anymore and the ones that are still around are only support 16gb (which is enough but renders my other two sticks pointless)

Will most likely end up having to upgrade.

Renegade

NRL Captain
yeah i've seen the second one but if i'm going to spend 200 on an old mobo i may as well go the full hog and upgrade.

first one i have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive and I dunno if I can tolerate being that long without a pc.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane

Renegade

NRL Captain
ah **** it, might just buy a new cpu, mobo and ram.

suggestions? prob spend upto 1k.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
ah **** it, might just buy a new cpu, mobo and ram.

suggestions? prob spend upto 1k.
I'm too far out of it to make suggestions. But it's really worth looking at the French and doing comparisons at the moment. Their GPU gear is far cheaper at the moment too.

Renegade

NRL Captain
He's totally an i5 fanboi :lolwhataloser:
haha, i don't mind spending the money if it's 100% worth it, i am leaning towards it for futureproofs sake but if it's not that big of a diff then i can do without spending it.

gone are the days when i'd splunk 2k on an upgrade just because.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
Kimlo broncospwn - i don't plan to do any sort of video editing/photoshop, so am i best off getting either:

https://www.umart.com.au/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Six-Core-LGA-1151-3-2-GHz-CPU-Processor_40432G.html

or
https://www.umart.com.au/Intel-Core-i5-7600-Quad-Core-LGA-1151-3-5-GHz-CPU-Processor_37769G.html

100 diff, the i5 is 4 core but higher base processor whereas the i7 is 6 core but lower base. i don't intend on overclocking it.
I'm absolutely an i5 fanboy. I just don't think the extra money spent on an i7 is worth it, at best you get a few % extra FPS (which for most games, is mostly GPU reliant anyway).

The only time I suggest i7 is if you regularly engage in tasks that heavily tax the CPU, compression, encoding, rendering, etc.

If I had to pick a CPU with a budget in mind, I'd go for this

https://www.umart.com.au/Intel-Core-i5-8400-Six-Core-LGA-1151-2-8-GHz-CPU-Processor_40430G.html

The 8th gen Core i5s are all 6 core now, so they're a pretty big upgrade over last gen i5's, and more similar to last gen i7 in performance.

I'd only recommend an i7 if you're getting a top of line GPU like a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti, beyond that it's mostly wasted. $200 extra could go to way better, more noticeable upgrades like SSDs.

Renegade

NRL Captain
I'm absolutely an i5 fanboy. I just don't think the extra money spent on an i7 is worth it, at best you get a few % extra FPS (which for most games, is mostly GPU reliant anyway).

The only time I suggest i7 is if you regularly engage in tasks that heavily tax the CPU, compression, encoding, rendering, etc.

If I had to pick a CPU with a budget in mind, I'd go for this

https://www.umart.com.au/Intel-Core-i5-8400-Six-Core-LGA-1151-2-8-GHz-CPU-Processor_40430G.html

The 8th gen Core i5s are all 6 core now, so they're a pretty big upgrade over last gen i5's, and more similar to last gen i7 in performance.

I'd only recommend an i7 if you're getting a top of line GPU like a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti, beyond that it's mostly wasted. $200 extra could go to way better, more noticeable upgrades like SSDs.
Awesome, I'll go with your recommendation. I have an SSD already for my OS and critical apps so that's all good there.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Currently running a CPU/MB combo recommended by spwn and haven't looked back. Get a new case while you're at it Renegade Fractal make awesome cases. Big fan of my Meshify C

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter