OFFICIAL Xavier Coates Leaves Broncos

Nah, they didn't.
Hodges joined them in 2002, they won the Grand Final that year, the previous year was Eels and Knights.
The year before that, Broncos beat the Roosters.
So Hodges, in effect, left the most recent premiership winners to join the Roosters.
The Roosters main rivals in that Era was arguably St George, and maybe the Doggies/Rabbitohs.
Definitely not the Broncos.

Also it doesn't matter if Hodges played in the next 3 Grand Finals with them. That has no bearing at all on this topic, But when Hodges joined them they had not won a premiership since 1975.

So the point is, Hodges didnt jump ship from the wooden spooners, for the premiers, for less money after declaring how much he loved the club publicly and stating he wanted to stay a Bronco.

You might need to call it a night too bud.

Dear me- he didn’t sign in 2002, he signed with the Roosters in 2001. As I said they’d played the previous Grand Final.

Dear me- he didn’t sign in 2002, he signed with the Roosters in 2001. As I said they’d played the previous Grand Final.
Haha ok mate, ignore the rest, focus on the teeny tiny irrelevant details.
He signed in 2001 after the Broncos failed to finalize an offer with him before the deadline, he joined them in 2002.
Also, the previous GF in 2000 the Roosters LOST to the Broncos. So unlike Coates, Hodges left the reigning premiers to join another team for MORE money, not less, like Turncoates.
Coates has bailed on the team he helped to a spoon, to join the reigning premiers.
Again, i fail to see how any of this is relevant to me not wanting to see Turncoates in a Broncos jersey ever again, but i dont mind a good argument from time to time.

In short, Hodges left for a completely different set of reasons, under completely different circumstances.
The two are incomparable.

Haha ok mate, ignore the rest, focus on the teeny tiny irrelevant details.
He signed in 2001 after the Broncos failed to finalize an offer with him before the deadline, he joined them in 2002.
Also, the previous GF in 2000 the Roosters LOST to the Broncos. So unlike Coates, Hodges left the reigning premiers to join another team for MORE money, not less, like Turncoates.
Coates has bailed on the team he helped to a spoon, to join the reigning premiers.
Again, i fail to see how any of this is relevant to me not wanting to see Turncoates in a Broncos jersey ever again, but i dont mind a good argument from time to time.

In short, Hodges left for a completely different set of reasons, under completely different circumstances.
The two are incomparable.
Mate, are you okay, you seem to be a bit irrational/unhinged about this whole deal. He is a 20 yo winger after all.

A couple of points:
1. How do you know that the offer was less from Melbourne unless you have sighted the offer from Brisbane and the signed contract with Melbourne. If you are going off press reports you are going off a journo's best guess.
2. Re Coates saying he wanted to be a Bronco for life - this seems to be the crux of your issue. I am not sure how old you are, but unless you are a mind reader or he has told you, how can you possibly know what his intentions were at the time he made that statement? It is equally likely that at that stage he had that very intention to stay. You cannot possibly with respect know that he lied unless you are mind reader.

Is it not possible that after making that true statement in his mind, circumstances changed? Such as, his best mate who he may have been expecting to stay and play with was signed by the Cowboys. This may have influenced him to consider moving on himself. Melboure could have increased their offer to him making him rethink his decision to stay. Melbourne could have sweetened the deal in some other way.

Perhaps his manager got in his ear and persuaded him that it was better for his career development to go to Melbourne under Bellamy and their systems rather than stay in our chaos.

Or it could be that like a lot of 19/20 year olds, he simply changed his mind.

So are you going to remain all bent out of shape if in fact he did not lie but simply had a change of heart?

In terms of the contribution to the wooden spoon, it seems somewhat unusual (if not weird) to be fixated on a 19/20 year old rookie winger, as opposed to the parties really responsible, that is, the club management and the idiot they hired as a coach.

But if you want to carry on like a spurned 13 year old school girl, you go for it champion.

Mate, are you okay, you seem to be a bit irrational/unhinged about this whole deal. He is a 20 yo winger after all.

A couple of points:
1. How do you know that the offer was less from Melbourne unless you have sighted the offer from Brisbane and the signed contract with Melbourne. If you are going off press reports you are going off a journo's best guess.
2. Re Coates saying he wanted to be a Bronco for life - this seems to be the crux of your issue. I am not sure how old you are, but unless you are a mind reader or he has told you, how can you possibly know what his intentions were at the time he made that statement? It is equally likely that at that stage he had that very intention to stay. You cannot possibly with respect know that he lied unless you are mind reader.

Is it not possible that after making that true statement in his mind, circumstances changed? Such as, his best mate who he may have been expecting to stay and play with was signed by the Cowboys. This may have influenced him to consider moving on himself. Melboure could have increased their offer to him making him rethink his decision to stay. Melbourne could have sweetened the deal in some other way.

Perhaps his manager got in his ear and persuaded him that it was better for his career development to go to Melbourne under Bellamy and their systems rather than stay in our chaos.

Or it could be that like a lot of 19/20 year olds, he simply changed his mind.

So are you going to remain all bent out of shape if in fact he did not lie but simply had a change of heart?

In terms of the contribution to the wooden spoon, it seems somewhat unusual (if not weird) to be fixated on a 19/20 year old rookie winger, as opposed to the parties really responsible, that is, the club management and the idiot they hired as a coach.

But if you want to carry on like a spurned 13 year old school girl, you go for it champion.
Ok?
Firstly, I'm fine, thanks for asking.

Originally i said i don't want to see Coates return to the Broncos, in response to Sproj saying we will get him back after Melbourne develop him.
Simple as that, no big deal.
My biggest crux is the fact Xavier said he wanted to stay a Bronco yet signed with Melbourne, and the fact that he was spotted having coffee with Bellamy weeks before he said that publicly, says to me that he had already made his mind up, and was straight lying to the club and the fans.
The Fact kevvie came out and said we are not losing him and is confident he is staying supports that claim.
Renegade then asked how i felt about Hodges, as to him, Hodges left under similar circumstances.
I responded by saying i was fine with Hodges coming back, as the situation was quiet different to how Coates is leaving.

I am not "bent out of shape" as you put it, im sharing my opinion with other posters who feel differently and we are having a discussion about it.

The reason i brought up Coates leaving for less, is because it has widely been reported that he turned down Brisbane's offer for less money at the Storm. Again, this is on the back of publicly telling the world he wants to stay a Bronco.

As far as my discussion with 1910 go's, we were arguing the discrepancies between Hodges and Coates respective departures. No problem, conversation was had, all is well.

I already stated in a previous post that i am like a jilted ex in regards to Dearden, Fifita and Coates, as it feels to me like they are abandoning the Broncos after helping us get out first wooden spoon and to me that's a pretty shady act.
So your attempt at an insult by calling me a 13 year old school girl is just you being a douche, nothing more, nothing less.
In regards to Coates assisting us to our first spoon, he played an integral part of it, considering he had the most errors for our team in the 2020 season.

If you don't feel like you can be a part of this conversation constructively, feel free to kiss the hairiest part of my Lilly white butt!
Regardless, why does my opinion on Coates and his obvious lack of loyalty rub you the wrong way so hard you felt triggered enough to reply in the manner you did?

So if coates is replacing carr does that mean coates will be playing on the left wing?

Ok?
Firstly, I'm fine, thanks for asking.

Originally i said i don't want to see Coates return to the Broncos, in response to Sproj saying we will get him back after Melbourne develop him.
Simple as that, no big deal.
My biggest crux is the fact Xavier said he wanted to stay a Bronco yet signed with Melbourne, and the fact that he was spotted having coffee with Bellamy weeks before he said that publicly, says to me that he had already made his mind up, and was straight lying to the club and the fans.
The Fact kevvie came out and said we are not losing him and is confident he is staying supports that claim.
Renegade then asked how i felt about Hodges, as to him, Hodges left under similar circumstances.
I responded by saying i was fine with Hodges coming back, as the situation was quiet different to how Coates is leaving.

I am not "bent out of shape" as you put it, im sharing my opinion with other posters who feel differently and we are having a discussion about it.

The reason i brought up Coates leaving for less, is because it has widely been reported that he turned down Brisbane's offer for less money at the Storm. Again, this is on the back of publicly telling the world he wants to stay a Bronco.

As far as my discussion with 1910 go's, we were arguing the discrepancies between Hodges and Coates respective departures. No problem, conversation was had, all is well.

I already stated in a previous post that i am like a jilted ex in regards to Dearden, Fifita and Coates, as it feels to me like they are abandoning the Broncos after helping us get out first wooden spoon and to me that's a pretty shady act.
So your attempt at an insult by calling me a 13 year old school girl is just you being a douche, nothing more, nothing less.
In regards to Coates assisting us to our first spoon, he played an integral part of it, considering he had the most errors for our team in the 2020 season.

If you don't feel like you can be a part of this conversation constructively, feel free to kiss the hairiest part of my Lilly white butt!
Regardless, why does my opinion on Coates and his obvious lack of loyalty rub you the wrong way so hard you felt triggered enough to reply in the manner you did?
Fair call re the bolded part, I retract the comment.

Re the second bolded part - no idea, I have just observed multiple responses by you and it just seemed odd given that Coates is after all, a 20 year old winger.

Re Fifita - he had signed prior to the wooden spoon, and I have doubts that you could with good faith tell me that if you had an offer from another employer that was a half a million more that at any age, and in particular Fifita's age, that you would not take it.

It just seems strange to me that as a fan you appear to be holding these young players to a higher standard than the club. As an example, the club in recent years has not shown a great degree of loyalty to players like Nikorima, Sua, Joe O, Bird, Walsh or Dearden.

If the club treats it like a business and is willing to push players out, how can you harshly judge a young player that is looking to secure their future financially and also provide themselves with the best environment to develop as a player?

a great degree of loyalty to players like Nikorima, Sua, Joe O, Bird, Walsh or Dearden.
Ofahengaue is the only player is that list who didn't want to leave.

However point taken, every club has shown players the door when they would like to stay.

Ofahengaue is the only player is that list who didn't want to leave.

However point taken, every club has shown players the door when they would like to stay.
In the case of Sua, he was not being selected to play and was left languishing in ISC. In the case of Bird, if you accept what Bird has told the press, he was being given mixed messages by the club and felt that he was being pushed out and that he was not wanted.

In the case of Dearden, he is told that he is the future of the club and then is not offered a contract.

In the case of Niko, he had been the starting halfback and then was given the tap on the shoulder by Pies and told that he would only be a utility. In effect if he wanted a starting role, he was being pushed out as well.

Fair call re the bolded part, I retract the comment.

Re the second bolded part - no idea, I have just observed multiple responses by you and it just seemed odd given that Coates is after all, a 20 year old winger.

Re Fifita - he had signed prior to the wooden spoon, and I have doubts that you could with good faith tell me that if you had an offer from another employer that was a half a million more that at any age, and in particular Fifita's age, that you would not take it.

It just seems strange to me that as a fan you appear to be holding these young players to a higher standard than the club. As an example, the club in recent years has not shown a great degree of loyalty to players like Nikorima, Sua, Joe O, Bird, Walsh or Dearden.

If the club treats it like a business and is willing to push players out, how can you harshly judge a young player that is looking to secure their future financially and also provide themselves with the best environment to develop as a player?
You are correct, I should probably hold the club to the same standard. You are also correct in regards to these blokes being young as it's easy to forget they are just kids really.
I just feel disgruntled in particular towards Dearden and Coates because of how vocal they were about wanting to be Broncos and then leaving.
Fifita is more understandable to me as the money he was offered was insane and anyone would take it.
Dearden is also more understandable as from what we know he wast offered a contract by the Broncos.
Coates rubbed me the wrong way though as he was very vocal about staying at the club, was offered a contract and turned it down to join our biggest rival for reportedly less money, after playing a good part in delivering us our first spoon.

These are reasons I don't want to see him come back to the Broncos, as petty as that might be.

You are correct, I should probably hold the club to the same standard. You are also correct in regards to these blokes being young as it's easy to forget they are just kids really.
I just feel disgruntled in particular towards Dearden and Coates because of how vocal they were about wanting to be Broncos and then leaving.
Fifita is more understandable to me as the money he was offered was insane and anyone would take it.
Dearden is also more understandable as from what we know he wast offered a contract by the Broncos.
Coates rubbed me the wrong way though as he was very vocal about staying at the club, was offered a contract and turned it down to join our biggest rival for reportedly less money, after playing a good part in delivering us our first spoon.

These are reasons I don't want to see him come back to the Broncos, as petty as that might be.
Fair enough, at the end of the day you are entitled to your feelings. I for one would not cut off my nose to spite my face. If he goes down there and becomes a more complete player and then Bellamy pulls the pin and he wants to come home, I would welcome him with open arms. The reality is he will probably go to the new Brisbane start up club just to further piss us all off.

In the case of Sua, he was not being selected to play and was left languishing in ISC. In the case of Bird, if you accept what Bird has told the press, he was being given mixed messages by the club and felt that he was being pushed out and that he was not wanted.

In the case of Dearden, he is told that he is the future of the club and then is not offered a contract.

In the case of Niko, he had been the starting halfback and then was given the tap on the shoulder by Pies and told that he would only be a utility. In effect if he wanted a starting role, he was being pushed out as well.
Su'A was dropped because of his form but he was recalled into the team before requesting his release. If we accept all the stories from the press Bird had been looking to get out of his deal from the start and has since complained about how 'hard' it was at Brisbane. Dearden was told that and then he went and made a big song and dance about touring the Cowboys facilities. Nikorima had a deal from the Warriors on the table and asked Seibs where he saw him down the road. Seibs was candid and Nikorima said right then release me to the Warriors - another case of Moses running Brisbane to the ground.

At best the feeling was mutual but Ofahengaue was the only player given the Jordan Kahu treatment.

Su'A was dropped because of his form but he was recalled into the team before requesting his release. If we accept all the stories from the press Bird had been looking to get out of his deal from the start and has since complained about how 'hard' it was at Brisbane. Dearden was told that and then he went and made a big song and dance about touring the Cowboys facilities. Nikorima had a deal from the Warriors on the table and asked Seibs where he saw him down the road. Seibs was candid and Nikorima said right then release me to the Warriors - another case of Moses running Brisbane to the ground.

At best the feeling was mutual but Ofahengaue was the only player given the Jordan Kahu treatment.

You mean Joffa is back next season?

You mean Joffa is back next season?
No, Ofahengaue signed with Wests for 3 years.

I meant he was told his services were no longer needed.

Probably more of a Shibasaki deal then.

The bloke dead-set comes that far in off his wing in defence sometimes, you could be forgiven for thinking he was playing on the left.
just curious as to if he is going to be learning to play on the left next year on top of his shit house defence.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • kiwi2
  • Jedhead
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Jazza
  • Cavalo
  • Bish
  • Broncosarethebest
  • jd87
  • azza.79
  • Rookie Alan
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.