Young broncs in feeder clubs

WOW- just wow.
My thoughts exactly, your love for your Qcup teams can take a back seat. I want Broncos players playing together especially spine players , and if that means certain players need to be moved than so be it.

My thoughts exactly, your love for your Qcup teams can take a back seat. I want Broncos players playing together especially spine players , and if that means certain players need to be moved than so be it.

You clearly didn't understand a word I wrote- that's the wow part.

I think you're missing the point. Souths (and the other affiliated clubs) are more than just our feeder clubs. The Coach is a real person with a real job and I'm sure he doesn't want to risk losing it by playing guys who aren't performing or aren't the best fit simply because that's what the Broncos would prefer for a plan they have two years down the track. Brisbane certainly won't be there to help him pack up his desk if it all goes pear shaped and he's out of a job.

It sounds like what you really want is for us to set up our own feeder side, which we sort of have attempted before with mixed results.

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point. Souths (and the other affiliated clubs) are more than just our feeder clubs. The Coach is a real person with a real job and I'm sure he doesn't want to risk losing it by playing guys who aren't performing or aren't the best fit simply because that's what the Broncos would prefer for a plan they have two years down the track. Brisbane certainly won't be there to help him pack up his desk if it all goes pear shaped and he's out of a job.

It sounds like what you really want is for us to set up our own feeder side, which we sort of have attempted before with mixed results.

Moving guys to play together in bulk just creates pressure to play them and if they're not the best option or lose form it means coaches have to make calls. Might all be fine and they're the best options but it can go wrong too- which was the point I was making.

Souths have to balance it and take it on if they're going to take so many Broncos. If you're top of the table and flying getting the same Broncos every week life is good I guess but if you're 9th and struggling and Paix isn't your best hooker then it creates problems.

Souths had all Broncos last year and had a horrible year.

You clearly didn't understand a word I wrote- that's the wow part.
No I did , my response was sarcasm. I understand you think we shouldn't push our players into positions that are taken, especially if that means a more experienced / better player being pushed out. And yes it's also a business and jobs are on the line but it needs to be a junior pathway aswell, you can't expect them to grow being played out of position or stuck behind experienced players that may not even play nrl. Maybe there needs to be compensation of some sort for these clubs, but really it's not like they're getting numpties either. These are highly rated juniors.

All the more reason why we need a proper reserve grade side. They can play alongside current QCup sides. All may not survive, but the QCup has lost plenty of sides before and it’s survived.

Probably will rely on a larger squad in the future, but ideally you’d have a roughly 20/20 player split between NRL and QCup team.

Moving guys to play together in bulk just creates pressure to play them and if they're not the best option or lose form it means coaches have to make calls. Might all be fine and they're the best options but it can go wrong too- which was the point I was making.

Souths have to balance it and take it on if they're going to take so many Broncos. If you're top of the table and flying getting the same Broncos every week life is good I guess but if you're 9th and struggling and Paix isn't your best hooker then it creates problems.

Where are all those Broncos now ?

Did the Broncos discuss their intentions with Souths and the coach before moving them over??

You would think that before you move a bunch of young players you might check that they're actually going to play first.

There's also Isaako who I believe is Souths and would be competing with Niu for fullback... suggestion he could be a utility on the bench, but you'd think the Broncos and Isaako himself would prefer to be playing every week in ISC rather than cameos off the bench

Did the Broncos discuss their intentions with Souths and the coach before moving them over??

You would think that before you move a bunch of young players you might check that they're actually going to play first.

There's also Isaako who I believe is Souths and would be competing with Niu for fullback... suggestion he could be a utility on the bench, but you'd think the Broncos and Isaako himself would prefer to be playing every week in ISC rather than cameos off the bench
We're the Brisbane Broncos, we're the market leaders when it comes to ruining careers by playing guys in cameo roles off the Bench.

All the more reason why we need a proper reserve grade side. They can play alongside current QCup sides. All may not survive, but the QCup has lost plenty of sides before and it’s survived.
Probably will rely on a larger squad in the future, but ideally you’d have a roughly 20/20 player split between NRL and QCup team.

The ISC doesn't need another team in the city, it would have to be a team in Toowoomba and the Broncos aren't doing that again. Nothing in it for the QRL to make a Broncos team.

You only have a squad of 30 of which take out 18 and four or five injuries and you're left with 8-10 every week- how do you make a team?

Unless the Broncos sign ISC players specifically to their ISC team- which seems like a dead end for them. Then you add in the extra cost, a ISC team isn't cheap.

They meet at the start of the season and you start with what is yours- We keep Niu.

Then move onto what you need we haven't got great depth at hooker- ok we want Paix to play hooker you can have him and you get allocated your 10 players of which probably 7 you will never see.

Isaako could well be at Souths, which would create the issues I am talking about. It's not check if they will play- you can't account for massive losses of form or one of your own players killing it and you are stuck with a Bronco at half- that's when you get the issues I am talking about.

Last edited:
This is why there is a lack of talent, the gap .between ISC and NRL . It needs to be a stepping stone , maybe the nrl needs to spend money on the lower league instead of more nrl teams.

This is why there is a lack of talent, the gap .between ISC and NRL . It needs to be a stepping stone , maybe the nrl needs to spend money on the lower league instead of more nrl teams.

I am confused how you arrived at the lack of talent conclusion?

The ISC doesn't need another team in the city, it would have to be a team in Toowoomba and the Broncos aren't doing that again. Nothing in it for the QRL to make a Broncos team.

You only have a squad of 30 of which take out 18 and four or five injuries and you're left with 8-10 every week- how do you make a team?

Unless the Broncos sign ISC players specifically to their ISC team- which seems like a dead end for them. Then you add in the extra cost, a ISC team isn't cheap.

You love ignoring about 90% of people’s posts and then selectively refuting the now-redundant to sound clever.

I already said that you would have to increase the squads to at least 40. As far as signing ISC players for the reserve grade side, that’s what happens now anyway to the current ISC teams. I understand that some players want to play for a local club that they may be a part of, but that’s only lacking for us as a result of the club being created to compete in the top grade and not formed at local levels and/or promoted from the BRL.

I also said that it may end up killing a Brisbane top grade side or two, which has happened before with clubs dying or defaulting back to the local competitions, and of course that’s sad and unfortunate, but there’s always casualties as things progress. I do admit it’s a nice look that there is no NRL clubs with teams in the QCup.

We have plenty of money, or at least should, and sponsors shouldn’t really be an issue. The club, in my opinion, needs to focus on being an actual club, because it’s arguable that currently it’s really just a Brisbane rep team that can also sign players. For arguments sake, half of the NSW Cup has NRL club reserve sides now and they seem to do fine.

It’s not going to be easy, it’ll be expensive, and it’ll be met with a lot of pushback, but I think it’s something the club needs to do at some point in the near future. Or at the very least, seriously explore to the point of pulling the trigger and doing it. Alternatively they could wait for a natural death of a Brisbane side, but I wouldn’t have a clue when or if that could be a possibility anytime soon. I’m not saying I have all the answers and that it’s a simple thing that won’t potentially have far-reaching effects, just that the notion shouldn’t be dismissed straightaway for the sake of it.

And course Toowoomba is not a valid option.

Because it’s fucking Toowoomba.

Last edited:
Guys come up and 'graduate' from the Queensland Cup every single year, and not just at Brisbane either. The Cowboys, Titans and Storm all have guys come up through the Queensland Cup and go on to succeed at those clubs and even at other clubs too. To say it has a lack of talent is just a baseless statement and shows a pretty severe level of ignorance.

Last edited:
Guys come up and 'graduate' from the Queensland Cup every single year, and not just at Brisbane either. The Cowboys, Titans and Storm all have guys come up through the Queensland Cup and go on to succeed at those clubs and even at other clubs too. To say it has a lack of talent is just a baseless statement and shows a pretty severe level of ignorance.
Yet it's been noted by alot of people that have played and are apart of the game.
If you can't see it then maybe you're the ignorant one, most of these teams only have a couple of quality players that will make the step up to nrl .

You love ignoring about 90% of people’s posts and then selectively refuting the now-redundant to sound clever.

I already said that you would have to increase the squads to at least 40. As far as signing ISC players for the reserve grade side, that’s what happens now anyway to the current ISC teams. I understand that some players want to play for a local club that they may be a part of, but that’s only lacking for us as a result of the club being created to compete in the top grade and not formed at local levels and/or promoted from the BRL.

I also said that it may end up killing a Brisbane top grade side or two, which has happened before with clubs dying or defaulting back to the local competitions, and of course that’s sad and unfortunate, but there’s always casualties as things progress. I do admit it’s a nice look that there is no NRL clubs with teams in the QCup.

We have plenty of money, or at least should, and sponsors shouldn’t really be an issue. The club, in my opinion, needs to focus on being an actual club, because it’s arguable that currently it’s really just a Brisbane rep team that can also sign players. For arguments sake, half of the NSW Cup has NRL club reserve sides now and they seem to do fine.

It’s not going to be easy, it’ll be expensive, and it’ll be met with a lot of pushback, but I think it’s something the club needs to do at some point in the near future. Or at the very least, seriously explore to the point of pulling the trigger and doing it. Alternatively they could wait for a natural death of a Brisbane side, but I wouldn’t have a clue when or if that could be a possibility anytime soon. I’m not saying I have all the answers and that it’s a simple thing that won’t potentially have far-reaching effects, just that the notion shouldn’t be dismissed straightaway for the sake of it.

And course Toowoomba is not a valid option.

Because it’s fucking Toowoomba.

I didn't ignore anything I addressed everything you said- you just didn't give much detail.

What's in it for the QRL? What business would add a team in an area they don't need for no gain for them?

Teams have died naturally, to just say kick out Redcliffe so we can have a team is ridiculous. It was a disaster last time the Broncos did it with Toowoomba- financially, players and time why would it be different this time if the Broncos invested in a team?

It's a massive investment in time and money when you could just rely on existing teams to do it. You also have to stick with it, you can't in three years go done with that now. What's the QRL do then? Last time the Broncos pulled out and Toowoomba couldn't survive- I can't see the QRL doing that again.

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • Fitzy
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.