Your Australian Side for the ANZAC Test

Actually, I also believe Matai ruled himself out by alligning with Samoa too.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8495426/Steve-Matai-shuns-Kiwis-in-favour-of-Samoa

I'd move Mannering to the centres and Glenn to start. But it might be because I'm a big fan of Glenn.

Bit of a blow although Matai hasn't really done anything in this arena either, other than get himself sent off.

I was originally going to have Glenn in my backrow ahead of Mannering but knew it'd never happen. Glenn's great though and definitely deserves a starting spot.

Might throw up my predicted line-ups in a second.

1. Slater
2. B Morris
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Uate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Myles
13. Gallen
14. Hannant
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Hoffman

Predicted line-up

Allegedly word on ABC radio today is that the Australian side is going to feature a lot of incumbents. In which case I'd expect...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Josh Morris
4. Greg Inglis
5. Brett Morris
6. Jonathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mat Scott
9. Cam Smith (c)
10. James Tamou
11. Greg Bird
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Gidley
15. David Shillington
16. Ryan Hoffman
17. Tony Williams

I wonder how selectors will look at Williams' form? I get the feeling he's cemented himself after the 2011 Four Nations and being chosen to start against the Kiwis last time (despite sucking). Myles drops out because for whatever reason, Tim Sheens doesn't rate him.

New Zealand
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Simon Mannering
4. Dean Whare
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Benji Marshall (c)
7. Kieran Foran
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Issac Luke
10. Ben Matulino
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Alex Glenn
13. Adam Blair

14. Elijah Taylor
15. Jared Warea-Hargreaves
16. Greg Eastwood
17. Frank Pritchard

Duffie offers more than Nightingale.

I know he was exposed against the Broncos defensively but everybody is entitled to a bad night and don't remember Duffie being too much of a liability.

I reckon Nightingale has been pretty mediocre for the Kiwis.

Don't agree with that.

Nuffie is Nuffy

Nightingale can do some freakish things at times.

Nightingale is a good finisher and does nice little backflips but is otherwise pretty unremarkable. He's good at club level don't get me wrong but I've never been impressed with his representative form. Ditto B. Morris who finally had his first good game in the decider last year.

Duffie hasn't kicked on like I thought he would but he's still one of the best players in the air and presents the Kiwis with a viable scoring option out-wide.

Dean Whare is a kiwi he might play centre.

Nightingale is also one of the more reliable wingers around. With someone as loose as Vatuvei on the other side, they probably need someone like that.

I reckon Hurrell might have a go at centre with Matai ruled out.

I wouldn't be against having Hurrell off the bench. My concern with him is his defence which is among the worst in the NRL.

At that level, he'd be a real turnstyle.

Don't think he is really in the frame, but if your are picking on form, I think Andrew Fafita would go really close to deserving selection. He's been great so far this year.

He's one of the form players of the competition right now Fifita (and I'm not just saying that because he's a Blackjack!). Wouldn't look out of place in an Australian jersey but if I was Laurie Daley, I'd rather he get selected for Country just to keep him hungry.

1.Billy Slater
2.Brett Morris
3.Greg Inglis
4.Justin Hodges
5.Akulia Uate
6.Johanthon Thurston
7.Cooper Cronk
8.Matt Scott
9.Cameron Smith
10.James Tamou
11.Greg Bird
12.Sam Thaiday
13.Paul Gallen

14.Kurt Gidley
15.Matt Gillet
16.Trent Merrin
17.David Shillington

I like that side, would pretty much be my side...

Me too except Gidley. That guy is always automatic selection in every rep game and he just doesn't deserve that kind of status. He really isn't that good. Smith should just play 80 minutes but if Sheens is insistent on having a replacement hooker than Farah is the better choice and he can also play in the halves.

Seriously, I don't know why Gidley is rated so highly amongst selectors, captain from the bench, automatic selection in every rep team when he's done nothing in a long time... We don't need a utility, the only position that gets subbed is the forward pack or hooker, so you either go with four forwards or 3 forwards and a bench hooker.

Last edited:
Might as well go with 16 players because there's no need for 4 forwards off the bench either. Gidley doesn't have to come on, he can just sit there and wait for an injury.

So what position does Gidley come on for, 9? If that's the position you're replacing you choose the second best 9, I wouldn't even have Gidley in the top 5 hookers, I'd have Ennis, Balin, Farah, Smith, Luke all ahead of him.

Active Now

• theshed
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Hoof Hearted
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.