Your Favourite Darren Lockyer Moment

Lockyer's running game and support play were just as good as Slater's and so was his ability under the high ball.

Ball playing is not a contest....Lockyer by a mile.

The only thing that Slater was better at was that last ditch defence and managing to stop certain tries from being scored. He was a freak at that.

Oh, and Slater was a fucking grub.

If lockyer stayed at fullback Slater wouldn't have got within a mile of being the QLD or Australian fullback. Slater dislodged hunt but it was far from a settled spot when hunt made the worst career decision I can remember in my time (joining afl), and hunt was great but he was 10 levels below Lockyer. Hunt may have even lost his spot from injury I thought? (Could be wrong there).
People forget lockyer was an even better fullback then a 5/8th. He practically did the same level of immortal-like ball playing but was an excellent support player and kick returner. He was also a great defensive organiser from all reports, with Slater and Smith crediting him multiple times in the media with teaching them how to read the game early in the dynasty.
Yet he does no coaching at all at the club.

Lockyer was the Halfback playing in the 1, he definitely changed the position but I still have yet to see a player emulate him properly there, there hasn't been a Fullback even remotely close to his kicking skill which is probably in the top 3 of all players of all time. I would say if Munster went back to fullback he would be the closest to how Lockyer played there.

His heroics in '06 come to mind. That field goal in 2011 to sink the Dragons in the semi holds a very special place in my heart. I was at my mum's village (PNG) for holidays and got sick on game day. My aunt for superstitious reasons sent me on the first bus back to Moresby. So here I am, feverish and vomiting during a 2 hour drive through muddy roads and shit weather arriving just in time before kickoff. Fucking rode the wave of emotions through that game and the field goal was just.... I almost fainted 😆. I felt I could die happy because I traveled so far just to see my all time favorite player win it for us with a clutch play like he's always done

Active Now

• Sproj
  • heartly87
  • broncoscope
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.