Your favourite player from every NRL team

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Alright, I want you guys to pick your favourite player from each NRL squad, and tell me why. May as well include the Broncos even though we're in League Talk.

Make sure you tell me why! I don't want to just read a list of names... that's boring. Also, don't pick people based on their State of Origin performances, pick them on what they do at club level and why that appeals to you.

Here I go.

Brisbane Broncos - Alex Glenn
I've had a man crush on this fella since he made his debut. Love his attitude out there on the field, and I think he's greatly underrated by supporters of other teams, in fact he's probably a little underrated by our own supporters! Really hope he gets the captaincy permanently one day.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Sam Kasiano
This guy is one of the most entertaining props out there. Looks effortless in almost everything he does, but still makes huge metres and can also throw the occasional pass to create a linebreak. He's my type of forward.

North Queensland Cowboys - Matt Scott
Has anyone ever seen Matty Scott get driven backwards in a tackle? Didn't think so. Dude only knows one direction. He's a beast!

St. George Illawarra Dragons - Trent Merrin
This was probably the hardest team to pick. Seriously, their roster is ridiculously depressing. Trent Merrin gets it purely because he's pretty much their only player who turns up every single week. Will definitely find himself in an Australian jersey at some point I think.

Parramatta Eels - Fuifui Moimoi
He's getting on a bit now, but big Fui still holds a special place in my heart. I wish every prop ran with as much purpose as Fui does. I'll never forget that try he scored in the 2009 grand final. Unstoppable.

Newcastle Knights - Jarrod Mullen
I don't think this guy will ever reach his full potential. He looked like something special in his first few seasons in the NRL, got handed an Origin debut, and since then his game has been marred by inconsistency. An exciting player on his day.

Penrith Panthers - Tim Grant

I've got a high opinion of Tim Grant. He's your old school type of prop-forward. Just barrels it up to the line and keeps on going. Similar sort of game to Matt Scott. He'll be playing for Australia in few year's time IMO.

South Sydney Rabbitohs - Greg Inglis
As a player, you can't help but admire Inglis' athleticism and skill. He has it all - pace, footwork, size, strength. Shame his move to the Broncos never eventuated.

Canberra Raiders - Josh Papalii
This kid will establish himself as one of the premier second rowers in the game over the next season or two. Huge amount of potential. Such a damaging ball-runner. Love watching him hit the line.

Sydney Roosters - Michael Jennings
Electric. That's the best word I can think of to describe him. He's elusive and quick - not big and strong like most centres these days. Really enjoyable to watch when he's on form.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - Matt Ballin
He seems to lack the douche qualities that are almost necessary to play for Manly. Hard worker who always gives his all for his team. You know he won't let you down.

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks - Nathan Gardner
I'm gutted this young fella has had so many injury issues. He's a little dynamo. Really want to see him stay fit for an extended period.

Melbourne Storm - Lagi Setu
Man, I was so sad to see Lagi leave us to work as a missionary. Right towards the end of his spell at the Broncos he was starting to show some great signs. Would love to see him realise his full potential. He can be a very damaging forward.

Wests Tigers - Benji Marshall/Marika Koroibete
Everyone rips the piss out of Benji on here for some reason, but I love watching him play. So unpredictable and innovative. Also wanted to mention Koroibete. I love the look of this fella, he's going to be a star. So friggin' quick.

Gold Coast Titans - Nate Myles/Dave Taylor
Couldn't split these guys. Both polar opposites in the way they play the game and what they bring to the team. You've gotta love Myles' never say die attitude and the amazing amount of work he gets through in a match. Then there's Taylor's cannonball like impact, and crazy ball skills 'for a big guy'. Imagine if they made love to each other and produced a Nate Taylor. Dayum.

New Zealand Warriors - Almost Everyone!
The Warriors have always been one of those sides I love watching play. Completely disregard the gameplan/tactics/whatever and wing it seems to be their motto. So entertaining. I can't decide between Konrad Hurrell, Ben Matulino, Manu Vatuvei, Feleti Mateo and Shaun Johnson.

Brisbane Broncos - Alex Glenn & Sam Thaiday
Glenns awesome and even though I have been very critical of Sam recently, he's been my fave since 2005.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Michael Ennis
I still have love for Ennis from his time with the Broncos.

North Queensland Cowboys - Brent Tate
I still have love for Tate from his time with the Broncos.

St. George Illawarra Dragons - none

Parramatta Eels - none

Newcastle Knights - none

Penrith Panthers - none

South Sydney Rabbitohs - none

Canberra Raiders - Shaun Berrigan
2006 Grand Final, thank you forever, Shaun.

Sydney Roosters - none

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - none

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks - none

Melbourne Storm - none
coz **** them.

Wests Tigers - none

Gold Coast Titans - none

New Zealand Warriors - none

Broncos - Josh Hoffman
My mothers favorite player.

Bulldogs - Ben Barba
A pleasure to watch last year, looks a good bloke and loves his footy

Cowboys - Kane Linnett
Came out of nowhere in 2012 as one the best centres

Dragons - Jason Nightingale
He just looks like the nicest bloke on the field

Eels - Ryan Morgan
Nice bloke

Knights - Kevin Naquama
Has great pace, too bad he's stuck behind Uate and McManus

Panthers - Lachlan Coote
Doesn't look like a ****-wit

Rabbitohs - Andrew Everingham
Was born near me

Raiders - Josh Papalli
I remember his debut against us in 2011, he scored 2 try's

Roosters - James Maloney
What a buy, liked him at the Warriors too

Sea Eagles - David Williams
GOAT beard

Sharks - Nathan Stapleton

Storm - Sisa Waqa
I love this guy

Tigers - Blake Ayshford
I don't like anyone from the Tigers

Titans - Matt Srama
Good young hooker and seems a like a good bloke

Warriors - Kevin Locke
Loved his 2011 form

I only like most players because they seem like nice blokes.

Broncos - Josh McGuire. Love his work on and off the field.

Panthers - James Segeyaro. He is the coolest bloke I have seen. Loves how he plays as well.

Dragons - Trent Merrin. Just a gun player

Raiders - Edrick Lee. Young QLDER with talent to burn

Titans - Ashley Harrison. an underrated hardworking backrower.

Tigers -

Warriors - Shaun Johnson. A very exciting young half who makes things happen

Storm - Gareth Widdop. Because he might sign with the Broncos

Manly -

Sharks - Michael Gordon. Because he has had such a bad run with injuries and keeps bouncing back

Cowboys - JT. He is just a pleasure to watch plus I have his laugh as my ringtone.

Eels -

Rabbits -

Roosters - James Maloney. The man who likes to BBQ alone.

Knights -

Bulldogs -

Broncos - If you're a Bronco you're alright with me, no real favourites.

Panthers - James Segeyaro. Liked him ever since I first saw him play for the Cowboys

Dragons -

Raiders - Josh Papalii. I loved the job he did on Paul Gallen last year in the finals.

Titans - Nate Myles. Gained huge respect for him in the last few years after his performances in the Origin series and he's become a real leader at the Titans.

Tigers - Marika Koroibete. I've been interested in this guy ever since I saw the Tigers signed him out of high school and I was stoked to see him go so well in his debut last year.

Warriors - Shaun Johnson/Ben Matulino.
Matulino has to be one of the hardest hitters in the league and he makes it look effortless everytime, Johnson's got all the skills and I hope he reaches his full potential.

Storm - Jesse Bromwich.
I've really taken a shining to him after the first few rounds this year, I love the way he takes the ball up and his footwork at the line.

Manly - Matt Ballin. The best of a bad lot, seems like a good guy and isn't a grub.

Sharks - Jayson Bukuya. I love watching the video of him smacking the piss out of Nathan Henderson as a 19 year old in the last WC.

Cowboys - JT/Matt Scott. They're both just too good to not like.

Eels - Chris Sandow. Love the aggression he shows even though it would be frustrating if he was playing for the Broncos.

Rabbits - Ben Te'o.
This is just going off his time at the Broncos, I haven't seen to much of him at the Rabbits yet.

Roosters - Jared Waerea Hargreaves. It's a bit of a love/hate thing with Hargreaves, I love the aggression he plays with but he can take it too far at times and I cant stand when he plays against the Broncos.

Knights -Akuila Uate. Wish he was playing for Fiji but I can't hold that against him.

Bulldogs - Greg Eastwood/Sam Kasiano.
Both big humans that can make a dent in the line and also have some ball playing skills.

Last edited:
Bulldogs - Tolman. Underrated workhorse prop who does all the little things right. Bit of a rort he hasn't played for the Blues yet tbh.

Raiders - Fensom. Is basically a more powerful version of Dallas Johnson. He can actually make effective hit ups through the middle! Plenty of time for him.

Sharks - Lewis. Just seems like a classy player with the ability to run good lines and ball play. Weird how he hasn't quite found his spot for the Blues yet.

Titans - Srama. Just a very nifty hooker who packs a lot of energy into his play without all the bells and whistles.

Manly - Foran. Just like his old school mentality. Type of guy who will run it to the line flat out, get smashed as he's passing the ball, will get up and tell the over-sized forward if that's all he has.

Melbourne - Cronk. The consummate professional who takes calculated risks which invariably make their way on the highlights reel.

Newcastle - J. Smith. Just impressed by his improvement over the years and on his day feel like he's one of if not the best second row of the game. Doesn't get enough credit for the Dragons 2010 premiership.

North Queensland - Tate. Such an intense player who basically leaves it all on the field. He's better in a Maroon jersey though.

Parramatta Eels - Mannah. Just a very respectful player who gets through a lot of hard work and doesn't try to shirk any of the responsibility. Shame his team mates don't follow his example.

Penrith - Josh Mansour - Really hard runner of the ball capable of some amazing play on his day. Still has a few rookie mistakes in him which is a shame but I'd have him down in my City team.

St. George - Rein. A self-confessed Rugby League nerd who isn't afraid to back himself from dummy half and engage the ruck. Like him even more since he's totally dislodged his more fancied counter-part in King.

South Sydney - GI. He's a freak.

Sydney Roosters - Boyd Cordner. Old fashioned forward who fights in every tackle and runs it bloody hard. Has future rep star written all over him.

Warriors - Matulino. Big boppa who continually bends the line and leaves a lot of other forwards in his wake.

West Tigers - Woods. I guess? Tough, I think I prefer their 20s players than I do their first grade side. Woods for similar reasons as Mannah except he's bigger and has to carry a side that doesn't value their forwards nearly enough.

Broncos - Justin Hodges. Because he's the best player this game has ever seen after Lockyer.

Panthers - No one really.

Dragons - Daniel Vidot! Fellow class mate from back in the days.

Raiders - David Shillington. Seems like a classy fella

Titans - Dave Taylor. He's a fun player to watch.

Tigers - Farah/Koro - I love the way Farah plays the game and Koro is an excitement machine, runs at full speed every time.

Warriors - Shaun Johnson. I love this guy, hope we get him some day!

Storm - :finger:

Manly - :finger:

Sharks - No one

Cowboys - Bowen - love watching him play.

Eels - Fui Fui !!

Rabbits - Inglis - because he's an amazing player.

Roosters - SBW. An amazing player who cops so much flak but still turns up and plays a good game every week.

Knights - Uate - Always fun to watch, runs at a 100 miles per hour and knows how to finish a try

Bulldogs - Barba - The most exciting player in the game when in form, can make things happen from nothing situations.

Active Now

• Midean
  • RodF
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • leon.bott
  • Dash
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.