Your first mobile phone

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Not yet he doesn't, so you should get in first to claim bragging rights. If you can find somewhere that's not sold out that is, haha.
I'll go into my local store tomorrow and see if I can sweet talk them into giving me one on the 27th. I'll offer them a free CD or something from my work. Haha

Kris

State of Origin Captain
My first one was the LG U8120 flip phone. I think I got it in 2004?

Following that, here are my previous phones:
- SE W850
- Nokia N95
- iPhone 3GS

And now, I have my iPhone 4S.

I reckon the N95 was the bomb. So durable cos it was a brick!

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Ah the U8120, basically my whole family got that back in the day with 3 when they first became a carrier.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I jumped on the 3 bandwagon on prepaid until I decided I needed Vodafone's first 3G offering just before their network went live.

On Three I had the Sony Ericsson Z1010. Chunky, huge, ugly, and crap.

I quickly moved to a Vodafone contract with a Samsung Z500 just before Vodafone's 3G network went live.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
The Lumina thread got me thinking about how quickly brand loyalty dies. My phone history:

Nokia 5110 (2000) -> 8110 (~2002) -> 3310 (~2004) -> Random pre paid Nokia (~2006) -> Slide phone/smart phone Nokia (~2007) -> iPhone 3G (~2009) -> LG Optimus 7 Windows -> (2012)

I'd wager Nokia had as big or bigger market share than Apple currently. Everyone I knew had a Nokia.

BOOM iPhone and Nokia is just about dead until 5 years later it brings out the Lumina.

Coxy

International Captain
The Lumina thread got me thinking about how quickly brand loyalty dies. My phone history:

Nokia 5110 (2000) -> 8110 (~2002) -> 3310 (~2004) -> Random pre paid Nokia (~2006) -> Slide phone/smart phone Nokia (~2007) -> iPhone 3G (~2009) -> LG Optimus 7 Windows -> (2012)

I'd wager Nokia had as big or bigger market share than Apple currently. Everyone I knew had a Nokia.

BOOM iPhone and Nokia is just about dead until 5 years later it brings out the Lumina.
Not counting the temporary pre-paid phone I bought when my N80 took a swim...

Nokia 5110 (1998) - Nokia 3310 (2000) - Nokia 6600 (2002) - Nokia N80 (2004) - Nokia N91 (2007) - HTC Touch Pro2 (2009) - iPhone 3GS (2010) - Samsung Galaxy SII (2012)

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Nokia was the biggest for years. They insisted too much on that hopeless Symbian operating system for far longer than they should have. It ultimately killed them because the smart phones were pretty fucking useless compared to iOS and the new Android.

Coxy

International Captain
Nokia was the biggest for years. They insisted too much on that hopeless Symbian operating system for far longer than they should have. It ultimately killed them because the smart phones were pretty ****ing useless compared to iOS and the new Android.
Yep. My Nokia N91 was a nice phone, but the constant software crashes and general lack of functionality was just too much. The appeal of a fold out keyboard and touch screen attracted me to the HTC Touch Pro 2...although people complaining about the Lumia 920 being big and bulky have no fucking idea! LOL. I could literally beat someone to death with the old HTC...

By the time I was fed up with the heaviness of it, and the crapness of Windows Mobile 6.5, the iPhone had got to the 3GS (4 was just about coming out) and so it was a fairly decent product by then after some early crap iterations.

2 years on iOS was enough to be sick of the simplistic nature of it and the complete lack of personalisation/configuration (without jailbreaking).

Very happy with Android on the Galaxy. Just a shame I've treated the phone itself so badly...

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I don't agree with people calling the 920 bulky. Yes, she's a big phone, but it's just right. It feels perfect.

I moved away from Nokia after the N95. I went through a BlackBerry phase until I got sick of them being absolutely horrendous. iPhone 3GS was shit, Android was the better option for me.

I went iPhone 4 for 12 months, which is the longest I've kept one phone, then back to Android.

The Galaxy S3 is a disappointment. After a while, you realise Android's major flaw is it getting so bogged down, and eating memory with constant leaks. I'm sick of the stupid thing, and I'm sick of Google releasing updates and operators not following suit. There is so much fragmentation in the operating system, Google suck at life.

Windows Phone 7/8, once you get used to it, you realise how awesome it really is.

Coxy

International Captain
Oops, I meant N95, not N91...

I'll consider a WP8 phone when I finally get sick of my Samsung's cracked screen and intermittently failing headphone jack (no doubt all related to my rough treatment of it, so not a criticism of the product).

Hopefully that'll give it 6-12 months to sort out any of the inevitable kinks in it.

I don't like being an early adopter :P

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Oops, I meant N95, not N91...

I'll consider a WP8 phone when I finally get sick of my Samsung's cracked screen and intermittently failing headphone jack (no doubt all related to my rough treatment of it, so not a criticism of the product).

Hopefully that'll give it 6-12 months to sort out any of the inevitable kinks in it.

I don't like being an early adopter :P
Definitely WP8HQ if Coxy also gets on the bandwagon

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter