Your Latest Tech Buy

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
As much as i wanted a Xiaomi or a one plus phone, have to admit i am sorely tempted now to get a galaxy s10. Any thoughts on them guys?
Remember you asked about Chinese phones with Wireless charging? Well like I said, they're starting to come out. New Xiaomi Mi 9 has it.

https://www.mi.com/global/mi9/ Beast of a phone Snapdragon 855 and they go for about $750 and if you're willing to wait a month or two I reckon you could get it for $600 when they do the inevitable discounts and sales.

Is the S10 good? Hell yes. Fantastic phone but damn the prices suck. $1350, or more fairly, $1499 for the S10+ which is the same size as the Mi 9.

Is it worth $750 more? Only you can decide, you won't regret the purchase if you're happy to pay 1.5k it's got everything you could want in a phone including a headphone jack. In all honesty, the S10+ (and Note for that matter) are one of the only phones out there than can justify the stupid price tags of phones these days.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Remember you asked about Chinese phones with Wireless charging? Well like I said, they're starting to come out. New Xiaomi Mi 9 has it.

https://www.mi.com/global/mi9/ Beast of a phone Snapdragon 855 and they go for about $750 and if you're willing to wait a month or two I reckon you could get it for $600 when they do the inevitable discounts and sales.

Is the S10 good? Hell yes. Fantastic phone but damn the prices suck. $1350, or more fairly, $1499 for the S10+ which is the same size as the Mi 9.

Is it worth $750 more? Only you can decide, you won't regret the purchase if you're happy to pay 1.5k it's got everything you could want in a phone including a headphone jack. In all honesty, the S10+ (and Note for that matter) are one of the only phones out there than can justify the stupid price tags of phones these days.
Thanks mate. My impatience could get the better of me! I think I'll pull the trigger and get it, especially as you can get about $300 off on ebay right now. If I don't like it I'll give it to the wife!

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Ordered a Logi G903 mouse today. Wife hasn't started asking questions about the price of all the new boxes around recently.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I've been considering this exact route, have you tried out Kayo on it yet?

When I had the trial and streamed to the TV it didn't hold up too well
Yep, my flatmate has been watching Super Rugby (Urgh...) on it since I set it up last week. I’m still stuck on my sucky Vivid Wireless 4G internet plan (12Mbps) until Aussie Broadband get out here the week after next.

So far, apart from a bit of buffering at the start it appears to have been fairly seamless...

Last edited:

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Yep, my flatmate has been watching Super Rugby (Urgh...) on it since I set it up last week. I’m still stuck on my sucky Vivid Wireless 4G internet plan (12Mbps) until Aussie Broadband get out here the week after next.

So far, apart from a bit of buffering at the start it appears to have been fairly seamless...
I'm actually on the same vivid Wireless crap at the moment so that was holding me back on it!
Although if it's only some buffering at the beginning and the stream stays steady throughout I may as well grab one.

Found a non-4K gen 4 at my local Cex for $150, or the 4K for an extra $50 if I can warrant it but the shit internet makes me hesitant.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I'm actually on the same vivid Wireless crap at the moment so that was holding me back on it!
Although if it's only some buffering at the beginning and the stream stays steady throughout I may as well grab one.

Found a non-4K gen 4 at my local Cex for $150, or the 4K for an extra $50 if I can warrant it but the shit internet makes me hesitant.
I went for the 4K because the NBN is finally reaching me within the next few weeks and even if there are further delays they won't be as long as they have been, it will get here eventually. Don't want to have to upgrade the streaming device again for a few years so I opted for the more expensive one up front, figuring the internet will catch up soon enough...

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Apple TV 4K (32GB). So I can put Kayo on it and get ready for NRL season. Also signed up to the $25 Kayo plan...
I've done something Similar except I've got a Chromecast Ultra instead. My Xbox does all my home media stuff and apparently Kayo will have a dedicated Xbox One app in "early 2019", whatever that means but have a Chromecast in the meantime.

For those wondering, Kayo is excellent, I'd put it very very close to Fox HD quality but just a touch below. Looks fantastic, streams flawlessly, no choppy shit, proper fullscreen.

It's essentially what Foxtel Go was except you can now get the full sports package without all the other Foxtel crap for $25p/m. It also includes all the Fox talk shows so it's pretty good. For people like myself who had Foxtel only for sports, it's a big saving. The cheapest Fox + HD + Sports plan is $58.

Kayo app also works excellent on both phone and browser and you can have 2 streams at once, so can keep watching if you need to leave the room. I'm actually mighty impressed with how well implemented the service is but the true test will be how it holds up once the regular season starts but I don't think it'll have any issues.

Last edited:

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
I've done something Similar except I've got a Chromecast Ultra instead. My Xbox does all my home media stuff and apparently Kayo will have a dedicated Xbox One app in "early 2019", whatever that means but have a Chromecast in the meantime.

For those wondering, Kayo is excellent, I'd put it very very close to Fox HD quality but just a touch below. Looks fantastic, streams flawlessly, no choppy shit, proper fullscreen.

It's essentially what Foxtel Go was except you can now get the full sports package without all the other Foxtel crap for $25p/m. It also includes all the Fox talk shows so it's pretty good. For people like myself who had Foxtel only for sports, it's a big saving. The cheapest Fox + HD + Sports plan is $58.

Kayo app also works excellent on both phone and browser and you can have 2 streams at once, so can keep watching if you need to leave the room. I'm actually mighty impressed with how well implemented the service is but the true test will be how it holds up once the regular season starts but I don't think it'll have any issues.
I had no idea what Ultra even was until your post, looking at it now it might be perfect for my needs over apple TV if I'm purely just getting it for Kayo purposes?
My other devices have all the streaming content on them that doesn't support Kayo, so really I'm just looking for the best/cheapest route.

Is there any reason the quality would alter between an Ultra and Apple TV, or is it purely related to your internet speeds?

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I had no idea what Ultra even was until your post, looking at it now it might be perfect for my needs over apple TV if I'm purely just getting it for Kayo purposes?
My other devices have all the streaming content on them that doesn't support Kayo, so really I'm just looking for the best/cheapest route.

Is there any reason the quality would alter between an Ultra and Apple TV, or is it purely related to your internet speeds?
The ultra is pointless for Kayo but I have a 4K HDR TV which the ultra supports so on the odd occasion when I want to do a YouTube stream and what not, it'll be able to use the 4K image. Maybe if kayo ever goes 4k...

It's only about $35 more so it's worth it for me. I considered Apple TV but couldn't see what it would do above a Chromecast. Only real advantage would be having a normal sort of remote and if you want to rent iTunes movies/TV shows I guess. For purely Kayo I'd go Chromecast for sure.

Last edited:

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
I bought a Chromecast Ultra last week purely for Kayo and NRL season.
Last Monday they announced the Kayo App for Android TV and my chromecast became redundant.

Luckily for me I'm a lazy prick and I hadn't opened it yet so I can take it back.

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Rookie question here,
I've got the S9+ so when using Chromecast for Kayo will I be able to simultaneously use my phone for other activities whilst streaming, or is it a "leave the phone down" situation?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Rookie question here,
I've got the S9+ so when using Chromecast for Kayo will I be able to simultaneously use my phone for other activities whilst streaming, or is it a "leave the phone down" situation?
Nah, you can use it. Basically the cast does all the process work once the phone tells it to.

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
I bought a Chromecast Ultra last week purely for Kayo and NRL season.
Last Monday they announced the Kayo App for Android TV and my chromecast became redundant.

Luckily for me I'm a lazy prick and I hadn't opened it yet so I can take it back.
Is the Android TV app out yet? I've been trialing Kayo, and the only thing holding me back from signing up for the season is that it's a pain in the arse to have to navigate via my phone.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Is the Android TV app out yet? I've been trialing Kayo, and the only thing holding me back from signing up for the season is that it's a pain in the arse to have to navigate via my phone.
Yep - I downloaded it last week. I've watched NRL360 and the cricket so far.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Rookie question here,
Easiest way to think of it is, Chromecast is like a mini computer and when you hit the cast button it basically tells the Chroemcast to open a URL/Website and that's it. As soon as it's open on Chromecast you can even turn off your phone. Generally your phone will keep open a chromecast notifications so you can easily get back into the app. That's kind of what makes it far better than old school mirroring when your phone becomes useless for the duration of the stream and the fact that it doesn't affect battery on your phone either.

Chromecast is awesome.

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Easiest way to think of it is, Chromecast is like a mini computer and when you hit the cast button it basically tells the Chroemcast to open a URL/Website and that's it. As soon as it's open on Chromecast you can even turn off your phone. Generally your phone will keep open a chromecast notifications so you can easily get back into the app. That's kind of what makes it far better than old school mirroring when your phone becomes useless for the duration of the stream and the fact that it doesn't affect battery on your phone either.

Chromecast is awesome.
You fellas have sold me, thanks for the help.
Found an Ultra at Cex for $55 shipped, kayo seems to only be supported by Ultra and up.
Fingers crossed its here by the weekend!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter