Your Mobile Phone(s)

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Exactly. Hence the double handling. Call TPG, just for TPG to escalate it to Optus, and Optus not really give a **** because they're not being yelled at.
I'm not sure of the experience with TPG, but mine with iiNet is fine. Accounts issues and SIM setup all handled through iiNet.

What other issues can there be?

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Yes but Telstra is immeasurably better so it's not a fair comparison.
Agreed the network coverage is a lot better on Telstra but we're comparing price premium of contract versus post paid sim only.

And when you're comparing Optus contracts versus sim card only, you're on the same network.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Exactly. Hence the double handling. Call TPG, just for TPG to escalate it to Optus, and Optus not really give a shit because they're not being yelled at.
To be fair, you're getting way better deal on MVNO's then you are from Optus directly so you shouldn't really expect the same level of support.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Agreed the network coverage is a lot better on Telstra but we're comparing price premium of contract versus post paid sim only.

And when you're comparing Optus contracts versus sim card only, you're on the same network.
Well I'm getting a Lumia 920 which is a Telstra exclusive (iP5 sucks!) and getting it outright for $700 on a Telstra BYO plan is more expensive than simply getting a contract. I also don't have an issue with going on a 2 year contract with Telstra because I know the network is the best by a fair margin and the 4G is getting expanded significantly next year.

I've also been on Vodafone for the last 2-3 years so the tortue means I deserve a good network!

dukey

NRL Player
Perth, WA
Well I'm getting a Lumia 920 which is a Telstra exclusive (iP5 sucks!) and getting it outright for $700 on a Telstra BYO plan is more expensive than simply getting a contract. I also don't have an issue with going on a 2 year contract with Telstra because I know the network is the best by a fair margin and the 4G is getting expanded significantly next year.

I've also been on Vodafone for the last 2-3 years so the tortue means I deserve a good network!

I've been with Telstra since I was a teenager and they're fantastic. Awesome coverage everywhere, and the customer service has always been great.

subsbligh

NRL Captain

True true. If you're willing to (or need to) pay the premium for Telstra coverage I can feel your pain. I couldn't get coverage in my house on 3/Vodafone for 3 years, sucked big time. Get 3/4 bars on Optus so I am happy.

Woop woop Windows Phone 8. Trying to convince the Mrs into WP. Her friends and family are all "y u want anything but IP5, it's like got a facebook app where you can upload photos directly from your phone". I can handle the derision but I think she prefers going with the crowd.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
To be fair, you're getting way better deal on MVNO's then you are from Optus directly so you shouldn't really expect the same level of support.
I know that, hence I'm not with them, I'm with Vodafone.

I'm not sure of the experience with TPG, but mine with iiNet is fine. Accounts issues and SIM setup all handled through iiNet.

What other issues can there be?
Network issues. Drop-outs, SMS fails, black spots, coverage issues. None of those TPG, Woolworths etc can fix those. They all get put through to Optus.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
@ Dukey, I could never afford Telstra until I got a decently paying job haha.

@ Subs, I'm trying to convince my mother that the iPhone 5 is not the best phone, I've told her to just hold off on buying for now and when I have my Lumia if she likes it I'll get her one otherwise I'll get her an iP5... Not going to bother with Android because she won't know how to use it properly. Same kind of attitude though, everyone has the iphone therefore it's the best, lol.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Telstra is value for money. Especially when you bundle.
I couldn't get an easy answer from Telstra.
I'm on Telstra cable and home phone as a bundle deal, does adding a mobile phone contract while already having those 2 services get me any sort of discounts/benefits?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You usually get some form of discount on the mobile as above, but also better call rates, and their Internet is cheaper when you have a bundled home phone.

Add Foxtel to the mix, and things are looking good.

Scotty has just signed up for us we will be looking at $265.00/Month (Not including the mobile which is bundled), for 500GB ADSL2+, Foxtel HD with 2 decoders and home line basic. No idea what plan Scott is one, probably $79 or close to it.

He will get better rates on mobile. The Foxtel and Internet are discounted, as are any calls (we don't plan to use it) made on the home line.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
$11 with Vaya.

$500 value and 1.5GB.
Dam, the difference in price for the same Optus network "commodity" (i.e. data and calls on the same network) is mind boggling. How can Vaya charge $11 per month for the identical product that Optus sells for $28.50?

Raping consumer ignorance seems like a great business to be in.

You'd think that Optus wholesale would give its retail business a leg up?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Dam, the difference in price for the same Optus network "commodity" (i.e. data and calls on the same network) is mind boggling. How can Vaya charge $11 per month for the identical product that Optus sells for $28.50?

Raping consumer ignorance seems like a great business to be in.

You'd think that Optus wholesale would give its retail business a leg up?
It would be anti-competitive for them to offer Optus Mobile better deals.

The difference is the customer service. They are Optus staff, with direct access to Optus systems and techs. They pay a lot more staff than what Vaya or whoever have to pay. They probably give these small guys decent deals knowing that not all that many people are going to go with them (compared to the big 3) just to increase their subscriber base.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
It would be anti-competitive for them to offer Optus Mobile better deals.

The difference is the customer service. They are Optus staff, with direct access to Optus systems and techs. They pay a lot more staff than what Vaya or whoever have to pay. They probably give these small guys decent deals knowing that not all that many people are going to go with them (compared to the big 3) just to increase their subscriber base.
Just on my own experience, never had a problem on any handset or network (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone) ever requiring a tech support call (as opposed to say my internet which has been down due to line outages about 3 times in 3 years).

My point: I don't agree that consumers pay a premium for perceived better technical support on Optus Mobile versus iiNet, TPG or others.

Customer service for account issues etc I'm guessing is outsourced by Optus Mobile anyway or even so account enquiries only require low level competency which can be dealt with easily by Indian call centres.

The $ must be made in the handset.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Just on my own experience, never had a problem on any handset or network (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone) ever requiring a tech support call (as opposed to say my internet which has been down due to line outages about 3 times in 3 years).

My point: I don't agree that consumers pay a premium for perceived better technical support on Optus Mobile versus iiNet, TPG or others.

Customer service for account issues etc I'm guessing is outsourced by Optus Mobile anyway or even so account enquiries only require low level competency which can be dealt with easily by Indian call centres.

The $ must be made in the handset.
So take a look at the real cost of an SMS. They are business, they don't have to explain why they charge the money they do, they just need to make money.

Being a big Whirlpool reader, there is no way I would stray away from the big 3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter