Your Mobile Phone(s)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nashy, Aug 12, 2011.

This wouldn't happen if you owned a Galaxy S9......

1. soup

soup

So, I bought a Xiaomi Mi 4 tablet for my son about a month ago for his birthday, and honestly, it’s the duck’s nuts for what he needs, especially at around $ 250.

My partner of 15+ years is in desperate need of a new phone, upgrading from a Sony Z3 Experia and I’ve spent the last 2 (full) days getting my head around Xiaomi’s offerings. I’ve passed over the Mi 8 Lite due to no NFC and a slightly inferior camera to go with an Mi 8 6GB/128Gb at around $580.

Am I doing the right thing? Pro’s and con’s?

EDIT: forgot to mention @broncospwn@broncospwn for his tip on buying the tablet.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

I own an assortment of different Xiaomi products - you can't go wrong TBH. The build quality is excellent, and the value unbeatable.

soup likes this.
  3. soup

soup

Forgot to ask; @broncospwn@broncospwn can you repair Xiaomi phones? If so, I’ll care less about warranty.

4. Xiaomi don't make anything shit, honestly. They are just quality all round, but if I had to buy a phone, I'd definitely recommend a One Plus 6 (or 6T pending budget) over a Xiaomi phone. You're looking at closer to $800, rather than $600, but they have better software, and get more frequent updates, so as a long term phone I think they're just better. A bit pricier, but a better experience all round. They are very very similar to what a Google Pixel is.

I personally just purchased a One Plus 6, which is older than the 6T but I prefer that because it still has a headphone jack.

You can't go wrong with a Mi 8 though, definitely a very nice phone. Should be fixable as long as parts are available, they are for their previous Mi 6 (they skipped "7"), so I'd say parts for the Mi 8 should start to be readily available in the next few months.

soup likes this.
  5. soup

soup

That might be my next phone.

I originally had a max budget of $350 for my partner’s phone and was looking at the Mi 8 Lite, but the reduced camera specs and no NFC forced me to extend the budget to the Mi 8. She primarily uses it as a camera so I didn’t want to skimp on family memories, if you know what I mean. At the same time, if I extended the budget any further, she’d likely kill me meaning I wouldn’t be around for those family memories.

I’ve pulled the trigger and bought the Mi 8. I’ll definitely keep the One Plus in mind for when I need to upgrade, though. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    broncospwn likes this.
  6. Be careful with NFC with banking. Australian banks suck. I'm not sure if Android Pay will work here on all banks, and the likes of Westpac and CBA will likely not support this phone for payments on their own apps.

7. soup

soup

It works with ING, ANZ and Citibank. I’ve been using it for the past 4 years on my iPhone without drama. Very handy. I’ve also seen a number of people using Android Pay with ING successfully on eftpos. Pretty confident.

With the Mi 8 though, apparently I’ll need to lock the ?boot loader? or some crazy shit to enable NFC to work outside of China. All good though, there’s a hundred DIY articles on what to do for Australian setups.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. That's straight into phone hacking territory there. Root access and all that jazz. I love it, but be careful, you can easily brick your phone. But you can also open the phone up to it's true potential.

Be careful though. You can pirate. And piracy is bad.

soup likes this.
  9. soup

soup

Like drugs, mmmkay

Nashy likes this.