Your Mobile Phone(s)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nashy, Aug 12, 2011.

FWIW, I don't think it's a big upgrade over the Mi A1/A2. Sure it's faster but if you have that I don't think the upgrade is significant. If Xiaomi make a successor with a Snapdragon 855 though and keep the pricing... Oh boy that's going to be exciting. I seriously hope it's not a one off release.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    ningnangnong likes this.
  1. I See no VoLTE a problem, only because it would be a step backwards. Basically, if you're on the phone, it'll drop to 3G to make the call, which also means if it's a long call you won't get LTE access to browse or anything if you're on the call. Not a big deal if you're on WiFi though.

Aldo likes this.
  2. Any mail on whether Telstra and One Plus will eventually get VoLTE and VoWiFi up and running? From what I've read, a lot of people aren't very hopeful and some state that it could be an issue if Telstra start scaling back their 3g network as suggested.

The 3G issue won't become an issue over night. Telstra will do that shutdown correctly and with years of notice like they did with 2G, CDMA and GSM back in the day.

It looks like there is a trick on one OP phones to force the phone to activate it. I'm not sure if it's on custom ROMs, but it doesn't look like it.

From what I understand, from Android 9 (It might not be fully implemented yet), those sorts of carrier features are meant to be on the Android side, not the ROM developer side. So the guide I'm reading makes sense, as it's essentially telling the device to check the SIM, and automatically grab the carrier CSC (profile).

broncospwn and Aldo like this.
  3. I would say by the time it is possibly an issue you'd be on a new phone. I wouldn't expect the 3G network to get shutdown before 2021 at least and I reckonly they'll delay it even longer than that.

As Nashy said you could probably force it with some software tricks as for Telstra supporting the OnePlus device specifically? I'd guess never rather than some day. They really only support 2 or 3 big brand names with it but by the time a shutdown of 3g is imminent they would start to roll it out on a more global scale I would bet, otherwise there's going to be a few hundred thousand very angry customers who can't make phone calls anymore and I just can't imagine they're that dumb to let it play out that way.

Aldo likes this.
  4. I just received a call from a number I had blocked years ago. How is that even possible?

The number and all showed up and they still appear on my block list.

First thing in the morning I’ll be taking this to the police. There is a reason why it’s blocked.

5. Never boring with you mate!

I have no idea how blocking works on Apple. @broncospwn@broncospwn knows a bit about those things.

broncospwn likes this.
  6. Never blocked anyone TBH, no idea how it works. I'm not worth anyone's time to annoy me thankfully.

7. Noob.....the tried and true "New Phone, who dis?" would have worked wonders and solved your problem all in one.

"Who were you chasing sorry?"
    "I was looking for Super Freak"
    "Sounds like a champ, but I got this phone and number a month or so ago sorry. Good luck with tracking that legend down"

Gotta think on your feet mate.

8. Or do what I do and answer in Arabic. Scares people away real quick.

Porthoz and Harry Sack like this.
  9. On a serious note though, I don't understand blocking numbers at all. They still have your phone number and can simply call from a different one. It achieves **** all. In SF's case as well, he's going to the cops about them calling him so it sounds like more than a psycho ex wanting some more of the good stuff. Change your number and the problem is solved.

10. The onus shouldn't be on the person being harrassed to change their number. Unless there is an actual judgement or AVO I doubt the QPS are going to give two fucks. Unless he speeds there, then they might.

Porthoz likes this.
  11. Of course, but for the sake of years of blocking a single number which is effectively pointless, I'd take matters into my own hands and remove the stress. It's difficult to say without knowledge of why said number is blocked though. @Super Freak@Super Freak fill us in.

12. Wolfie

Wolfie NRL Captain

I currently have a Huawei Mate 10 pro, which i think is absolute garbage and i hate the thing. Dont want to spend heaps on a new phone, probably about the $600 mark. Is there anything out there Xiaomi or the like that has NFC and wireless charging for that price point? Camera quality for me really isnt a huge consideration.

13. soup

soup

Xiaomi Mi 8, but I’m not sure yet on the NFC compatibility in Australia. I’ll try it out in the coming days and let you know.

Not sure about wireless charging, either.

Wolfie likes this.
  14. Perspectives are so different

When I read "Don't want to spend heaps on a phone" followed by "$600" I damn near fell off my chair :)

If I'm spending $600 I want 3 phones :lol:

Wolfie likes this.
  15. Wolfie

Wolfie NRL Captain

If I could get one cheaper I'd happily do it!

I'm at the end of my tether with this mate Pro though. Its the worst phone I've ever had.

16. I guess it all depends what you do with it

I recently bought myself a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 for $219 and my wife a HTC One M9 for $166, both off ebay and both doing great

The Samsung was refurbished in excellent condition (looked new to me) and the HTC was new

My 2 girls both have Oppo phones around the $250-300 mark, have had those for over a year and they love them

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    I got myself a One Plus 6 on @broncospwn@broncospwn recommendation. Had it for a few days now and have to say it is a very slick little machine. I had an OPPO R15 Pro but have to say, I like the One Plus a bit better. Gave the OPPO to the missus.

john1420 and broncospwn like this.