Your Mobile Phone(s)

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Hey Nashy Nashy Kimlo Kimlo or anyone tech savvy that knows. I’ve just ported my dad’s number from Telstra Prepaid to ALDI and that has successfully gone through, however I’ve just found out that the stupid Galaxy J2 Pro is network locked to Telstra.

I just rang Telstra to unlock over the phone, paid the $25 and provided the receipt number to the offshore bloke at the other end. He was unable to get an unlock code and had to “escalate” to another team. He now reckons this could take 7-10 days... fuckers!

Meanwhile, because the number has now been ported to ALDI, he doesn’t have a working mobile phone at all for up to 10 days. This doesn’t seem right to me. Any advice?
Sounds like a cheaper phone. Huawei or ZTE/Telstra Brand?

I've heard a lot of the cheap china stuff, T don't have it on file, so they need to request it from the manufacturer.

The lesson is, every prepaid phone will be locked. No matter the provider.

Edit: Can't read. Cheap phone though, so I'm not overly surprised.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Sounds like a cheaper phone. Huawei or ZTE/Telstra Brand?

I've heard a lot of the cheap china stuff, T don't have it on file, so they need to request it from the manufacturer.

The lesson is, every prepaid phone will be locked. No matter the provider.

Edit: Can't read. Cheap phone though, so I'm not overly surprised.
Cheers mate. I’m just surprised at the timeline tbh

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
I picked up a Google Pixel 3 the day before the 4 came out on a decent contract. The touch screen feels pretty clunky when trying to make a specific gesture but otherwise it's a fine phone.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I picked up a Google Pixel 3 the day before the 4 came out on a decent contract. The touch screen feels pretty clunky when trying to make a specific gesture but otherwise it's a fine phone.
The 4 is a backwards step really, you made the right choice.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Hey Nashy Nashy Kimlo Kimlo or anyone tech savvy that knows. I’ve just ported my dad’s number from Telstra Prepaid to ALDI and that has successfully gone through, however I’ve just found out that the stupid Galaxy J2 Pro is network locked to Telstra.

I just rang Telstra to unlock over the phone, paid the $25 and provided the receipt number to the offshore bloke at the other end. He was unable to get an unlock code and had to “escalate” to another team. He now reckons this could take 7-10 days... fuckers!

Meanwhile, because the number has now been ported to ALDI, he doesn’t have a working mobile phone at all for up to 10 days. This doesn’t seem right to me. Any advice?
That's exactly what happened with me, except they said they wouldn't even be able to give me a PRICE for how much it will be to unlock for 7-10 days. 3 days later I get a message with the unlock code.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You can try to ebay a code based on the model number but ultimately you're up shit creek. They'll do it when they do it basically, it's an automated system to my knowledge, it's like Telstra sends request through to ZTE or whoever who ping back an unlock code who then ping it back to the customer, if it's not automatically unlocked network side without manual code

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Not sure I’m a fan of the auto adjust wth the screen brightness on the new iPhone.

I don’t see any option to disable it. I suppose it does help make the battery life longer which is a plus.

The battery life is quite good. Even with constant use it will last a couple of days.

The zoom out feature on the camera is quite cool. Helps putting more stuff in frame and gives the pictures a cool look. The portrait mode also gives the photos a more professional look.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Has anyone ever used the impact shields sold by Tech21?

It doesn’t look like it’s a tempered glass type shield but there are claims it offers better protection than them.

I actually saw Tech21 on Dragons Den and the stuff they say they use in their products to offer better protection looks very effective.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba

It doesn’t look like it’s a tempered glass type shield but there are claims it offers better protection than them.

I actually saw Tech21 on Dragons Den and the stuff they say they use in their products to offer better protection looks very effective.
I have used a Tech 21 case since I bought my last iPhone and have dropped my phone hundreds of times onto tiles/concrete and not even a scratch. Thoroughly recommend.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Their cases are alright, their screen protectors are over priced crap. Glass is glass.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Always thought about getting a flip phone....never put it into action.

You say samsung has one?

Wasn't a fan of the motorolla looking at the new one....liked the look of the old one, even with the keypad.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Always thought about getting a flip phone....never put it into action.

You say samsung has one?

Wasn't a fan of the motorolla looking at the new one....liked the look of the old one, even with the keypad.
Samsung are going to release one in a couple of weeks time called the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and it's $1400 which is less expensive.

Samsung's version will support wireless charging whereas Motorolla's doesn't. The price you have to pay for the Motorolla that has no wireless charging, no headphone jack and it looks fucking ugly. Apart from the nostalgia feeling, I can't see another reason why anyone would buy it.

Samsung already do have a fold phone out called the Samsung Galaxy Fold but last I checked prices start at $2000.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Samsung are going to release one in a couple of weeks time called the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and it's $1400 which is less expensive.

Samsung's version will support wireless charging whereas Motorolla's doesn't. The price you have to pay for the Motorolla that has no wireless charging, no headphone jack and it looks fucking ugly. Apart from the nostalgia feeling, I can't see another reason why anyone would buy it.

Samsung already do have a fold phone out called the Samsung Galaxy Fold but last I checked prices start at $2000.
👍
Just youtubed ....Samsung Galaxy Z Flip.
Yeh...not what I was hoping for.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Thoughts on the Oppo Reno Z for $360?

Kimlo Kimlo Nashy Nashy
If that's with local warranty for the 8GB/128GB model you can't go wrong. I'm not a fan personally of ColorOS but if that part doesn't bother you goes alright. If I'm not mistaken that's the same main camera as the Pixel 3 so if you install G Cam mod you'll have a pretty good camera out of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.