Your Mobile Phone(s)

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
If that's with local warranty for the 8GB/128GB model you can't go wrong. I'm not a fan personally of ColorOS but if that part doesn't bother you goes alright. If I'm not mistaken that's the same main camera as the Pixel 3 so if you install G Cam mod you'll have a pretty good camera out of it.
Yeah, ColorOS bothers me TBH - I think I'm gonna pass and hold out a bit longer for an upgrade.

My Mi A1 purchased in February 2018 is still going strong! 😍

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
I've got to get a new phone.......and was after the latest Samsung S20, but the provider doesn't have them available.

Anyone have the Samsung Galaxy S10 512GB BK HSET? Thoughts?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've got to get a new phone.......and was after the latest Samsung S20, but the provider doesn't have them available.

I have a 128GB model. It's good. Fingerprint scanner is shit.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

If you don't mind a bigger phone the S10 5G model is a nice upgrade over the regular S10, better back and front camera, and it supports 25w fast charging compared to 15W on the regular S10. And 5G might be useful in the future.

Otherwise regular old S10 is a nice phone.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
here is my quandary.

2 years ago i made the mistake of leasing my Galaxy s9, to save some on the monthly payment and because i planned to upgrade in 12 months (which i didn't actually do)

since the telcos have changed they way the do plans now, i.e. you no longer get the phone for free on a high enough plan, instead you need to choose the plan then a phone repayment plan as well (unless you BYO phone) ... this makes getting the new galaxy a much more expensive proposition than it would have been in the past.

because of this i have a decision to make:

i can keep my 2 year old leased Samsung S9 by paying them $230

or

i can buy a new phone. I have been looking at something like a Samsung A50 which is about $400. any other suggestions for a decent android phone, that won't break the bank too much? I don't want to spend the money and pick up one of the new Samsung s20 etc

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
If you don't mind a bigger phone the S10 5G model is a nice upgrade over the regular S10, better back and front camera, and it supports 25w fast charging compared to 15W on the regular S10. And 5G might be useful in the future.

Otherwise regular old S10 is a nice phone.
Can confirm, I've got a S10 5G (free upgrade too). Best camera I've seen on a phone so far.
Will know soon what the S20 is like...

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
here is my quandary.

2 years ago i made the mistake of leasing my Galaxy s9, to save some on the monthly payment and because i planned to upgrade in 12 months (which i didn't actually do)

since the telcos have changed they way the do plans now, i.e. you no longer get the phone for free on a high enough plan, instead you need to choose the plan then a phone repayment plan as well (unless you BYO phone) ... this makes getting the new galaxy a much more expensive proposition than it would have been in the past.

because of this i have a decision to make:

i can keep my 2 year old leased Samsung S9 by paying them $230

or

i can buy a new phone. I have been looking at something like a Samsung A50 which is about $400. any other suggestions for a decent android phone, that won't break the bank too much? I don't want to spend the money and pick up one of the new Samsung s20 etc
Are you buying outright, or sticking with paying it off via the provider? If you can shell out the cash, that opens you to a pretty big world of good devices without the bullshit price tags.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Are you buying outright, or sticking with paying it off via the provider? If you can shell out the cash, that opens you to a pretty big world of good devices without the bullshit price tags.
i'll probably buy it outright this time

Aldo

What, me worry?
🇦🇺
I've got a One Plus 6 on the recommendation of Kimlo Kimlo. Love it. Excellent little phone and was cheap, although the new One Plus 8 is up there in price with the big guys. Xiaomi look really good too.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I've got a One Plus 6 on the recommendation of Kimlo Kimlo. Love it. Excellent little phone and was cheap, although the new One Plus 8 is up there in price with the big guys. Xiaomi look really good too.
I bought my partner the new Xiaomi about a year ago for my partner and it cost about $650 Aus. It was comparable to the top level phones at triple/quadruple the price, if not more. Must admit, haven’t looked lately, but I need to!

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
i'll probably buy it outright this time
If you don't mind taking the risk of no warranty I think something like a OnePlus 7t or OnePlus 7 Pro is a hell of a phone but they are up in the 750 range.

In the budget 400 end it's really a pick your poison because nothing particularly stands out.
I think the Pixel 4A to be released next month is going to be a pretty nice device, outside of that you can get something like a cheaper Xiaomi like
- https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/xiaomi-redmi-note-8-pro-mineral-grey
or - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/xiaomi-mi-a3-128gb-kind-of-grey
or - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/tcl-plex-128gb-opal-white
or - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/samsung-galaxy-a51-128gb-black

The A50 isn't a bad phone but I wouldn't spend my money on it. It's already a year and a half old, and in Samsung terms that means it's basically EOL and won't get anymore updates.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
has anyone used an xiaomi phone before? are they decent quality?
Excellent quality. My partner’s is 18 months old now and hasn’t skipped a beat. The photo and video quality makes me want to turf my iPhone in the bin and purchase my own immediately.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Oh and my 5yo son’s Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 Has copped the most brutal of punishment and never skipped a beat. It’s also about 18months old.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.