Your Mobile Phone(s)

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
Excellent quality. My partner’s is 18 months old now and hasn’t skipped a beat. The photo and video quality makes me want to turf my iPhone in the bin and purchase my own immediately.
Cheers mate,

I'm thinking the Xiaomi MI A3 could be the go, especially given it is currently $299.

one possible downside could be that the screen is only 720p.

I think the Note devices could be a bit big for my liking

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Foordy Foordy try find a Mi 8, or a Mi 9 if you can extend the budget. I believe my partner’s phone is an 8.

Edit, not the ‘lite’ version.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Xiaomi phones are really good, they honestly don't make a "bad" product. I'd try to stretch a bit higher like soup soup said though and grab a higher model if you were planning to keep it longer term.

- https://www.mi-store.com.au/mi-9 That is last year's flagship
- https://www.amazon.com.au/Xiaomi-Mi...ocphy=9069226&hvtargid=pla-792541147321&psc=1 - This is the Mi 9T which is a huge step up from the A3 and still a fantastic price. It's sold by Amazon directly and in my experience they're really good at taking care of any issues, only problem is it would ship with a US plug but a $2 adapter fixes that.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
thanks for the info soup soup Kimlo Kimlo ... i'm making SOME progress, i've narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 devices, lol.

Samsung Galaxy A51
price: currently $549 on sale at JB Hi-Fi
I've been very happy with the many Galaxy devices i have owned over the years, going way back to the S1. granted, i have only owned their flagship phones, but i'd imagine their mid-range phones are also quality devices.

OPPO Reno2 Z
Price: $549 at JB Hi-Fi
I've heard of the brand, but don't know much about them. from what i have been reading online they seem to make quality devices. their specs match with the other devices at this price level

Xiaomi MI 9T
price: $495 Amazon | $513 + $12 delivery for the 128GB version
one small downside is the lack of an SD card slot for expandable memory, probably not to big of an issue, especially if i go for the 128GB version. heavier than the other devices

RealMe 6
price: $469 JB HiFi
not a company i've heard of before starting to look for a new device recently, so know really nothing about them. This device uses an IPS LCD screen instead of an AMOLED screen, not sure if this makes a difference or not.

One thing i have noticed is that the majority of phones in this range are bigger than what i'm using now, usually with screen sizes around 6.5 inches

hmmm ... decisions

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
thanks for the info soup soup Kimlo Kimlo ... i'm making SOME progress, i've narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 devices, lol.

Samsung Galaxy A51
price: currently $549 on sale at JB Hi-Fi
I've been very happy with the many Galaxy devices i have owned over the years, going way back to the S1. granted, i have only owned their flagship phones, but i'd imagine their mid-range phones are also quality devices.

OPPO Reno2 Z
Price: $549 at JB Hi-Fi
I've heard of the brand, but don't know much about them. from what i have been reading online they seem to make quality devices. their specs match with the other devices at this price level

Xiaomi MI 9T
price: $495 Amazon | $513 + $12 delivery for the 128GB version
one small downside is the lack of an SD card slot for expandable memory, probably not to big of an issue, especially if i go for the 128GB version. heavier than the other devices

RealMe 6
price: $469 JB HiFi
not a company i've heard of before starting to look for a new device recently, so know really nothing about them. This device uses an IPS LCD screen instead of an AMOLED screen, not sure if this makes a difference or not.

One thing i have noticed is that the majority of phones in this range are bigger than what i'm using now, usually with screen sizes around 6.5 inches

hmmm ... decisions
If I was choosing I'd take the Realme 6 and Oppo off the list. Nice phones but I'd definitely rank them under the A51/Mi 9T

I think the Mi 9T is definitely a better phone, better specs, better build quality (plastic Vs metal) but with Samsung you get a phone specifically made for the Australian market which means the little things work better, like 4G Voice calls, Wi-Fi calling, Australian adapter in the box, local stores you can go to for warranty, etc. It comes with the latest Android out of the box and only got released start of the year so should have at least a year more of updates.

Tough choice between the two, I'd probably go Samsung for the peace of mind given they're close enough and you're already familiar with the software but the Mi 9T is a nicer phone if you're keen for a change. If you could actually find stock of the Mi 9T (the Australian model, JB used to have them) I'd prefer that at the same price.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
has anyone used the Huawei Y9 Prime. a guy at work has one and loves it. I can pick one up new for $299

I'm wondering if the Samsung A51 is worth $250 more than the Huawei

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
has anyone used the Huawei Y9 Prime. a guy at work has one and loves it. I can pick one up new for $299

I'm wondering if the Samsung A51 is worth $250 more than the Huawei
I think Huawei is going to be locked out of Android upgrades so you might want to look into that.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I think Huawei is going to be locked out of Android upgrades so you might want to look into that.
Yeah Huawei is a bad phone to buy in a Western market given they're locked out from Google support. At $250 though, it looks really decent and, if it's crap you can always upgrade later, it's a bit different from locking yourself into a $750 phone that you would hate. If you're wanting to go super budget, for $250, I don't think you can do much better. Full HD screen, decent size battery, reasonable processor, 4GB RAM.

The only obviously shit thing is it doesn't seem to have fast charging or NFC which means no Google Pay to paywave from your phone. That's a deal breaker for me but it may not be for you.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
completely forgot about that

Yeah Huawei is a bad phone to buy in a Western market given they're locked out from Google support. At $250 though, it looks really decent and, if it's crap you can always upgrade later, it's a bit different from locking yourself into a $750 phone that you would hate. If you're wanting to go super budget, for $250, I don't think you can do much better. Full HD screen, decent size battery, reasonable processor, 4GB RAM.

The only obviously shit thing is it doesn't seem to have fast charging or NFC which means no Google Pay to paywave from your phone. That's a deal breaker for me but it may not be for you.
paywave isn't a deal breaker for me, as i've never used it ... but being locked out from Google support is

I'm pretty sure i'll go for the Samsung A51

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
If you can check one out in store first do that. The biggest question mark is its build quality but otherwise it looks like a fantastic budget phone that isn't missing anything important.

Foordy

International Captain
Staff
If you can check one out in store first do that. The biggest question mark is its build quality but otherwise it looks like a fantastic budget phone that isn't missing anything important.
picked one up on the way home from work ...

so far, it feels like a decent device ...

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Kimlo Kimlo what do you think about the RealMe x50 pro? What's the best flagship killer at the moment?
Looks bloody awesome for the price.

It's hard to give a one phone answer there because the phone market is bloody huge now. It depends what you consider a flagship these days, like is an S20 a flagship, or only the S20 Ultra?

I'm personally rocking the Poco F2 Pro because it's cheap and I found it from an Australian reseller so I can get a proper warranty if something goes wrong.

https://mymobile.com.au/xiaomi-poco-f2-pro-dual-5g-128gb-white-6gb is where I bought it from.
Proper flagship specs, 5G, good camera, top build quality. Only negative is you'll want to spend a good 10 minutes just disabling all the ads (there's guides that are easy to follow) and after that it's got no real annoyances.
For $550 in Aus you get low level junk phones.

The closest thing to a proper all out flagship killer I would say is the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra. It ticks every box, it's basically an S20 Ultra clone for $700 less, but I wouldn't pay that much for something I can't claim a warranty on.
OnePlus 8 Pro for $990 is a decent deal too for a proper flagship which the same website above sells but at that sort of price I'd rather just grab an S20 for a couple hundred more and have a phone designed for the Australian market. I'm willing to make small sacrifices to save $700 but not to save $200.

Last edited:

Aldo

What, me worry?
🇦🇺

It's hard to give a one phone answer there because the phone market is bloody huge now. It depends what you consider a flagship these days, like is an S20 a flagship, or only the S20 Ultra?

I'm personally rocking the Poco F2 Pro because it's cheap and I found it from an Australian reseller so I can get a proper warranty if something goes wrong.

https://mymobile.com.au/xiaomi-poco-f2-pro-dual-5g-128gb-white-6gb is where I bought it from.
Proper flagship specs, 5G, good camera, top build quality. Only negative is you'll want to spend a good 10 minutes just disabling all the ads (there's guides that are easy to follow) and after that it's got no real annoyances.

The closest thing to a proper all out flagship killer I would say is the Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra. It ticks every box, it's basically an S20 Ultra clone for $700 less, but I wouldn't pay that much for something I can't claim a warranty on.
OnePlus 8 Pro for $990 is a decent deal too for a proper flagship which the same website above sells but at that sort of price I'd rather just grab an S20 for a couple hundred more and have a phone designed for the Australian market. I'm willing to make small sacrifices to save $700 but not to save $200.
As usual mate, awesome info. Thanks for that 👍

Aldo

What, me worry?
🇦🇺

What's your thoughts on the Chinese versions with global rom?

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
What's your thoughts on the Chinese versions with global rom?
If there's a good discount to go with it, as long as it's a global ROM, I say go for it.

The way I see it, if you're getting a good discount by buying an import model it's probably worth the risk. I may just be lucky, but I've never had to warranty a phone, they're built with ridiculously good quality control that it's actually rare to have a straight up hardware fault.

If you're getting a flagship style phone for half the price of a phone here, the way I see it, even if it breaks in a year, you buy a new phone and you're still ahead.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
To add to what Kimlo Kimlo said - I've bought all my phones from overseas since I picked up a HTC Desire back in 2010 from Handtec, and have never had any issues (touch wood).

Actually, I lied - I did make a local phone purchase once. Nokia Lumia 520, good old Windows Phone. It did its job.

Aldo

What, me worry?
🇦🇺
If there's a good discount to go with it, as long as it's a global ROM, I say go for it.

The way I see it, if you're getting a good discount by buying an import model it's probably worth the risk. I may just be lucky, but I've never had to warranty a phone, they're built with ridiculously good quality control that it's actually rare to have a straight up hardware fault.

If you're getting a flagship style phone for half the price of a phone here, the way I see it, even if it breaks in a year, you buy a new phone and you're still ahead.
If I were to get a CN version, would it be easy enough to flash a global ROM?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.