Your NSW Origin II Side

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I still don't think that the blues have the right side picked. If they were fit I would have Dugan or Tedesco at fullback with Moylan in that 14 role. Farah has to go and I would have Peats in there for the future. Bird is done in my view, I would have Cartwright on the bench. He at least offers some attack and off-load possibilities. Given Tedesclo and Dugan are both out, it looks to be Moylan kept at fullback, but I would seriously consider bringing Tyrone Peachey into the side as the super sub.

Re: Dylan Walker

If Tedesco is fit, I'd be going:

1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Jennings
4. Fergusen
5. Tomblenadhoiodfdfdfhjhiovfoodfjdovic
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen

14. Moylan
15. Fifita
16. Klemmer
17. Graham

But that's me.

1. Coote

If they don't start by picking him at fullback they are no hope.

Laurie has confirmed Moylan will be playing in Game 2 if he stays injury free. But he also didn't say he will stay at fullback.

Honestly, I don't think Moylan was that bad. He made a few errors, but put those down to inexperience. I think he'll learn from that and improve on it.

He nearly produced a potential match-winning try if it wasn't for Gagai knocking the ball down.

To me, he is the fullback they need to stick with. Someone that has a bit of ball playing and can take pressure off the halves.

Only changes I would make is Fergo, Morris, Walker and Jackson out. Bring in Ennis to play off the bench, Scott, Bird and I'm not sure on a replacement winger.

Last edited:
The only player I'd consider swapping for Moylan is Tedesco, and only after he had a few weeks to get some form back. They'll need something like Moylan's ball playing if they insist on going with Reynolds again.

But then, I was thinking about it, and as much as I don't rate Reynolds, NSW don't really have anyone good enough in the halves to push for a selection anyway. They need guys like Hastings, Moses and Brooks etc. to improve dramatically over the next couple of years.

Peats in for Walker to get some experience to take over from Farah which I would have gone with in game 1. And Frizell in for one of the back rowers. Cartwright 18th man.

NSW only lost by 2 points so there is no need to make mass changes. Just replace Walker with Cartwright, Bird or Graham and the Blues are set.

It'd be ridiculous if they dropped Moylan. Sure, he made a couple of mistakes and looked a little hesitant under the high ball, but he was one of their most likely in possession. He's a real 'electric' type player.

NSW only lost by 2 points so there is no need to make mass changes. Just replace Walker with Cartwright, Bird or Graham and the Blues are set.

You guys got done, at home, with Cronk playing on a still bruised ankle after not training all week and with his kicking game well below usual, and Thurston having a quietish night. Do you really think swapping Walker for one of those three will get NSW the win over a fully fit Qld keen to clinch the series at Lang Park?

Cordner is gone for 4 to 6 weeks due to some foot injury. Huge blow for NSW, he was far and away their best player.

Lol at the Roosters too.

Heard about that, such a pity too. It was like the selectors finally figured out if you pick him in a prominent role chances are he's going to be a real handful. They sort of backed themselves into a corner with Hoffman. Ryan was a good player, but he had seen better days and I think it was obvious to all and sundry that his 2014 form had been inflated by the defence of DCE. Hell, last year's series seemingly went out of it's way to spell that out. Cronk missed Game II and surprise surprise Hoffman looks like a stud backrow again. In fairness to Laurie, he knew better than the fans on that one and stuck with Cordner. I saw a lot of people marking him never to play again and couldn't understand it - he's clearly one of the best backrows in the game and was one of the form players in last year's finals.

NSW have once again backed themselves into a corner. They lost by two points, so they can't go the full hog even though they probably should. Their biggest problem is that they just have too many has-beens in their side. The likes of Gal, Morris, Bird, Jennings, Farah have all been there before and too much of the Blues attack relies on them. Queensland know their game inside and out, they don't challenge the Maroons defence on their line and yet they continually stifle others. In concert with players like Moylan, Reynolds, Jackson and Walker who are just club players pretending to be Origin players (for now...) it's a tough situation. I think they'll play it safe, make the most of what they have and do their best to squeak out a win. It'll be another boring Origin game, but that's all Lozza has brought to the table so far. Outside of running at DCE and using Hayne he hasn't shown much of anything as a coach.

So they'll do that, fight till the bitter end before making the proper changes for Game III.

If NSW were smart, Beau Scott would replace Boyd Cordner. He's the only player who really gets under our skin anymore. They'll go with Frizell who will probably make a modest 10 runs for 80m and nobody will bat an eyelid.

As for Walker, Cartwright would be the selection to relieve Jackson during the middle portion of the game. NSW will have to accept he has a mistake in him, but at least he has the potential to break the game wide open. That's what they need right now and at least he has a future at this level.

I'd go with the same team. For once stop making changes and let the combinations develop.

When was the last time NSW made unnecessary changes between games?

2010? They've been pretty solid in that regard.

I'm really looking forward to the NSW side tomorrow night. As Big Pete has said they are in a corner selection wise. Moylan had an ordinary first half against Manly albeit with no ball and a very good second half while Tedesco was very good again against Souths. LD must be itching to pick him and is under pressure from everywhere to do so but he would look disloyal. Moylan on the wing maybe but he is still axing someone.

Cordners replacement is interesting as well. I agree they probably go with Frizell but he doesn't bring much besides solid D and hit ups.
Reynolds looked injured enough to be in doubt too so would leave a massive decision with Pearce out and Hodson in probably hard to guage form at Newc.

Daley would be stressed to the max about now.

There seems to be a call to have Moylan in the halves.

1. James Tedesco
6. Matt Moylan
7. Adam Reynolds/James Maloney

It looks horrible.

If Queensland had lost 9 from 10, I wonder if they would continue to pick the same side? The NSWRL have been really good at stealing the Maroons tactics of late and yet they continue to ignore an important piece of the puzzle.

When Wayne took over as coach in 2001, what did he do?

When Mal took over as coach in 2006, what did he do?

I'll tell you neither picked a side designed to bash and barge their opposition and play negative football.

If the Blues go onto lose Game II, you can point the loss back to the 23rd of May, the day Laurie selected a 'safe' side.

I feel like you've gotta find room for Tedesco if you're nsw.. He's just an origin player.

If they pick Tedesco, they can simply say he would have been first choice if not injured.

If all these players are uninjured, I'd go:

1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Jennings
4. Tomljanovic
5. Fergusen
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Graham
13. Gallen

14. Moylan
15. Fifita
16. Klemmer
17. Cartwright

Fair point Sproj.

Our teams would be similar as well. I'd push Tommy Trbojevic to the wing (ahead of Ferguson who is far too clumsy at this level) and bring Jack Bird into right centre.

Two classy players capable of creating opportunities that have some staying power.

Is it just me, or do a few selections reek out of one series wonders?

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Morkel
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • westy316
  • BroncoFan94
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Foordy
  • Redux
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BruiserMk1
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.