2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

Are you sure you don't want to go with the Panthers trick of naming players we signed from outside to the club, then lost

Well the Panthers didn't do it as far as I know, Fox did.

Are you sure you don't want to go with the Panthers trick of naming players we signed from outside to the club, then lost
So can chuck in Hosking, Bird, TPJ, Lodge, Roberts, Capewell... Croft is the current man of steel in England.

So all this talk of the team Penrith have lost in recent years and for enough but look at this one:

1. Gray
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Gagai
5. Coates
6. Dearden
7. Walker
8. Flegler
9. Hunt
10. Collins
11. Fifita
12. Su’A
13. Tino

14. Nikorima
15. Ofahengaue
16. Arrow
17. Wallace

18. Niu
19. Simpkin
20. Palasia
21. Boyd
Walsh could be fullback, we were just lucky things worked out how it did and he came back

So all this talk of the team Penrith have lost in recent years and for enough but look at this one:

1. Gray
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Gagai
5. Coates
6. Dearden
7. Walker
8. Flegler
9. Hunt
10. Collins
11. Fifita
12. Su’A
13. Tino

14. Nikorima
15. Ofahengaue
16. Arrow
17. Wallace

18. Niu
19. Simpkin
20. Palasia
21. Boyd
If we're talking about guys that actually played a game for broncos (i.e. excluding Tino, Walker, etc.) then the below is still a fair side... can pretty much build a top 30 squad.

1 Kodi Nikorima
2 Jamayne Isaako
3 Herbie Farnworth
4 Dane Gagai
5 Xavier Coates
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Tom Dearden
8 Thomas Flegler
9 Ben Hunt
10 Jai Arrow
11 David Fifita
12 Jaydn Su'A
13 Zac Hosking

14 Jack Bird
15 Matt Lodge
16 Jarrod Wallace
17 Kurt Capewell

18 Tyson Gamble
19 Ethan Bullemor
20 Tevita Pangai Junior
21 Sean O'Sullivan
22 Tom Opacic
23 Joe Ofahengaue
24 Danny Levi
25 Tesi Niu

1. Gray
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Gagai
5. Coates
6. Dearden
7. Walker
8. Flegler
9. Hunt
10. Collins
11. Fifita
12. Su’A
13. Tino

14. Nikorima
15. Ofahengaue
16. Arrow
17. Wallace

18. Niu
19. Simpkin
20. Palasia
21. Boyd

Wasn't the point that they were players the Panthers wanted to/would have kept if not for the salary cap, and that they were contributors to their actual success? By that metric, you'd rule out pretty much everyone but Farnworth, Flegler and Hunt, with some borderline players in Palasia, Coates and Fifita (were we ever really successful with them though?), Su'A and Arrow.

I understand what you are getting at, but we let a heap of those players walk, or they slipped away to another club well before they blossomed into productive players. It's not quite on the same level as losing a heap of players that played in premiership winning teams.

We're definitely heading into the same situation that Penrith have been, though, and it will be interesting to see if we weather it as well as they have.

Wasn't the point that they were players the Panthers wanted to/would have kept if not for the salary cap, and that they were contributors to their actual success? By that metric, you'd rule out pretty much everyone but Farnworth, Flegler and Hunt, with some borderline players in Palasia, Coates and Fifita (were we ever really successful with them though?), Su'A and Arrow.

I understand what you are getting at, but we let a heap of those players walk, or they slipped away to another club well before they blossomed into productive players. It's not quite on the same level as losing a heap of players that played in premiership winning teams.

We're definitely heading into the same situation that Penrith have been, though, and it will be interesting to see if we weather it as well as they have.

I am not saying they are or aren't on the same level, just that we also have lost a bunch of players we would to have kept too.

Tell me if we had a choice, we wouldn't want this running around:

1. Walsh (Warriors initially)
2. Coates (Storm)
3. Farnworth (Dolphins)
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Tino (Titans)
9. Hunt (Dragons)
10. Haas
11. Fifita (Roosters)
12. Riki/Piakura
13. Carrigan

14. Nikorima (Dolphins)
15. Collins (Roosters)
16. Flegler (Dolphins)
17. Arrow (Rabbitohs)

And all of these are basically home grown, unlike some the media is claiming for the Panthers. And even outside these guys, we have blokes who just because they wouldn't make this side here doesn't mean they aren't quality like Isaako, Su'A, etc.

Sometimes us fans downplay our own production line.

I am not saying they are or aren't on the same level, just that we also have lost a bunch of players we would to have kept too.

Tell me if we had a choice, we wouldn't want this running around:

1. Walsh (Warriors initially)
2. Coates (Storm)
3. Farnworth (Dolphins)
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Tino (Titans)
9. Hunt (Dragons)
10. Haas
11. Fifita (Roosters)
12. Riki/Piakura
13. Carrigan

14. Nikorima (Dolphins)
15. Collins (Roosters)
16. Flegler (Dolphins)
17. Arrow (Rabbitohs)

And all of these are basically home grown, unlike some the media is claiming for the Panthers. And even outside these guys, we have blokes who just because they wouldn't make this side here doesn't mean they aren't quality like Isaako, Su'A, etc.

Sometimes us fans downplay our own production line.

Too much Coates for my liking - but of course every fan would want to see that team running out (provided Ben and Kodi being forced to play non-preferred positions and Flegs being relegated to the bench isn't creating too much of a toxic atmosphere...). Also in this scenario are the other teams not able to keep their home-grown talent, since we have Reynolds?

I'm not downplaying our production line at all - we continue to turn out great quality players. Unfortunately you can't keep them all, and that's usually in the best interests of the game - otherwise the competition would be in danger of being even more top-heavy than it is, and potentially drive down its appeal and longevity. It's something of a double-edged sword, in reality, because the system does appear to inherently punish the teams that develop players and reward the teams that don't. It would be great if all teams had strong pathways and the NRL should be encouraging that more, and not doing so definitely a failing of theirs.

Penrith are currently demonstrating that you can still have sustained success in spite of this, and that's what we should be aiming for. The sustained success, that is, not the whinging about losing players that you've already replaced with ready-made superstars...

On a separate note, if Graham stays as host, I will be watching again quite a lot more and seems they have listened to the fans, Ritchie has disappeared.

Very much so. The topics on the show are generally still crap but Graham at least backs himself and doesn't just go quiet when people start trying to talk over him.

Why the **** do they have to keep talking about Cleary picking apart the Broncos in the preview of the Panthers vs Bulldogs game! Get stuffed

The guy who wrote that clearly has only watched Rugby league for about 5 years or so. players taking unders for a chance at a premiership has been a thing for as long as I've been watching the game (over 35 years).

Even though Tallis says he can't understand why Fifita is taking less to go to another team, he himself has taken less money to stay at the Broncos than he was offered to leave.

as much as i hate the Roosters benefiting, the signing of Fifita is simply a correction of the market. David Fifita is not now, nor has he ever been worth $1 million a season, and definitely not the $1.2 million a season they paid to lure him away from us in the first place.

does anyone really want the norm to become desperate teams paying massive overs to get players, fucking up their own salary caps in the process

The guy who wrote that clearly has only watched Rugby league for about 5 years or so. players taking unders for a chance at a premiership has been a thing for as long as I've been watching the game (over 35 years).

Even though Tallis says he can't understand why Fifita is taking less to go to another team, he himself has taken less money to stay at the Broncos than he was offered to leave.

as much as i hate the Roosters benefiting, the signing of Fifita is simply a correction of the market. David Fifita is not now, nor has he ever been worth $1 million a season, and definitely not the $1.2 million a season they paid to lure him away from us in the first place.

does anyone really want the norm to become desperate teams paying massive overs to get players, fucking up their own salary caps in the process
You should definitely add this to the comments attached to the article. Author could definitely benefit from an education in rugby league.

Perth and PNG to be the next 2 teams in expansion. Should be officially announced in June apparently.

Perth and PNG to be the next 2 teams in expansion. Should be officially announced in June apparently.
There was talk sometime back that they were considering basing any PNG team in Cairns?

From memory, this really pissed off the Cowboys .. they were saying something along the lines of we are already known as the FNQ team lol

But he isn't taking unders for a chance of a premiership. He got offered more at Penrith ffs.... there's no way this deal isn't suss...

A PNQ team is political only. They won’t produce enough talent to be competitive for many many years. It’ll be a struggle to recruit players as it’s not a safe place to live. Basing a team
In Cainrs kind of defeats the purpose of the PNG team to begin with

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.