2024 NRL Player Movements & Rumours

But the Roosters got both of them. So it disputes the point they vulture from shit teams.

I disagree because Melbourne were never in the race, so the reality is they vultured these players from a no club list.

if these players were actually negotiating to stay in Melbourne and the Roosters got their signature instead, that would be a different story

I disagree because Melbourne were never in the race, so the reality is they vultured these players from a no club list.

if these players were actually negotiating to stay in Melbourne and the Roosters got their signature instead, that would be a different story
Exactly. The real teams that need to be careful are the shit ones who might have promising kids they can snatch like the Tigers with Galvin. As for the fullback, if Manu comes back then you would think he is well in line to be their fullback after Tedesco hangs them up. The other thing you need to consider as well is that they often dont overpay for a player and I think if they wanted a couple of players from us they will have to pay at least market value because they really cant offer anything over our club at the moment.

Cronk
Smith
Leniu
Crichton (back when Souths were good)
JWH
Morris
Morris
Collins
Cronk - leaving the storm and he basically fell into their lap. He wasn't going to a wooden spoon contender in Sydney
Smith - already confirmed he was leaving the storm so basically a free agent. They did do well to get him but
Leniu - Ill give you that but Penrith did have major cap headaches.
Chricton - from memory Souths fell asleep and they knicked him basically as soon as November opened up
JWH - was basically a nobody when signed from Manly
Morris boys - lure of a premiership and playing together were the key. Money wasnt the big factor in signing them
Collins - see JWH
Keary - fell out of favour with Crowe and left the club as a result. It wasnt that Souths got beat out on that one more the player was unhappy and didnt want to stay at the club.

Like I said above, they will target specific players to suit their needs and most likely target weaker clubs with the lure of premiership success.

Several clubs need a halfback, he is highly rated. I reckon Bulldogs will chase him and they will have the money to throw around.

Roosters have benefitted from a Souths discard halfback before, just saying. I could see Walker and Iliad combining pretty well but neither has a massive boot.

The damage has already been done to Illias
Roosters will want a proven half if they sign someone on decent money

Roosters have benefitted from a Souths discard halfback before, just saying. I could see Walker and Iliad combining pretty well but neither has a massive boot.
I think Ilias has a sneaky big boot on him... he gets plenty of hang time on his regulation drop punts to the corner... his issue is that he doesn't look at all like a natural kicker.

He's got a decent size on him as well, because I don't recall him getting monstered in defence... looking at profiles he's 2cm taller than Cleary and same weight as him (92kg), and Cleary is someone I consider seriously physical for a half... never seems to get dominated in defence. For comparison DCE is 85kg at the same height.

Ilias has just never really looked like a natural playmaker to me... with either passing or kicking.

He might've just been the big kid coming through and had a decent boot on him, so someone in lower grades figured they could develop him into a half.

I haven't seen if he dominated the lower grades though and potentially was just told to sit back in NRL to let others take the lead.

Who's available?

The reports are that the Roosters are very confident in the ability of Sandon Smith.

it looks likely that the halves pairing from next year with be Sandon Smith / Sam Walker (in that scenario I assume that Sam Walker would play 6)

Roosters 2025:
1. Tedesco -> Manu, if not, Papenhuyzen
2. Nawaqanitawase
3. Smith
4. Toia -> Cobbo/Staggs will be targets obviously
5. Young
6. Smith -> They might be looking for a young 'un here - Galvin? Ilias?
7. Walker
8. Collins
9. Smith
10. Leniu
11. Crichton (I'm sure he will re-sign) / Su'A?
12. Tupouniua
13. Radley

14. Watson
15. May
16. Wong/Whyte
17. Butcher -> Utoikamanu?

So obviously they are looking for a centre and a half and probably a fullback, maybe another forward. Of course, they may be looking at Manu to come back for Tedesco after.

Can you imagine if Broncos signed him and he turned into a quality halfback under the mentorship of Reyno? That would be fucking hilarious..
It would be hilarious and ironic…
No thank you though. Jog on.
Brisbane is preparing for a “Black out”.
Coby. The way.
If not, I don’t see much between Ilias and Madden.

Active Now

• BRC088
  • Fitzy
  • Ondi
  • Johnny92
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Hurrijo
  • mystico
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • HarryAllan7
  • teampjta
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • Porthoz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Justwin
  • Fatboy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.