2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

E

Evander

NYC Player
Apr 6, 2021
Biggest question of the pre season for us will be if Cobbo makes the move to left centre or not.

Imo it should happen, he is similar to Herbie in body type but he has the left hand carry which is what you want for left sided outside backs given his right hand fend has proven lethal when he can use it, and he will use it way more being on the left.

Though I can understand kevvie not wanting to do it given he is one of the best right wingers in the game, he is stupidly fast for his massive body and seems to score nearly every time when given ball at speed, but overall I think that is short term thinking, Cobbo will be better long term on the left as a centre imo for both him and the Broncos.
I personally think Mariner should take Herbies spot. He’s literally a clone of Herbie. Does all the effort areas really well but also can turn it on. I think he could be better than Herbie on a few years time

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I personally think Mariner should take Herbies spot. He’s literally a clone of Herbie. Does all the effort areas really well but also can turn it on. I think he could be better than Herbie on a few years time
It’s such a challenging one because on one hand Selwyn would be a gun but Deine is more of a centre than a winger. I also reserve a bit of doubt over having two small wingers who aren’t renowned for hit ups. I’m confident the call will be pretty obvious to the coaching staff I just hope whatever they pick they stick with for a while unless it’s dire straights stuff. That and the roster inclusions will be the storyline of the off-season for us. Not much doubt anywhere else other than Piakura but that’s more consistency and durability rather than ability.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Angus Chricton? Roosters have heaps of back rowers at the moment
As a 13 I think it wouldn't be bad but outside that , I would rather keep our backrowers who are getting better each season and would be cheaper.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
He is alot smaller though, I think he is also prefers playing on the right, either as a wing or centre, it's a hard balance with Arthurs though who does seem to be a bit ahead atm, from a team perspective I think we might be overall best with Cobbo on the left centre with him or Arthurs on the right, when ever Cobbo has been given rep games on the left he has been one of the best players on the team because he can finally use his best weapon.

He has the same body and playing style as GI and Trell, they are all left handed players with a lethal right hand fend best used playing on the left so they can use it, though I Think Cobbo is faster than both of them by a margin, but a bit smaller than GI, Cobbo could definitely be the best left centre in the game if we put him there.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Did I imagine it or did cobbo play in the forwards during a game this year? Anyone remember what game that was?
Against Bulldogs at Belmore he played lock in the second half, though it was very roaming playing both sides.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
I am worried about our left side defence next year. I have been rewatching some 2023 games. I know capewell missed a few tackles (and important ones) but he did so much clean up work, kick pressure and finishing up tackles (either wrapping up the ball or taking it to the ground). He covered mam, led the edge linespeed and covered some kicks behind the line.

Piakura however just didn't show those effort areas. He didnt move off the defensive line well and when the ball got past him, he would walk and not follow the ball. I will put my hand up and admit I am not sold on piakura so may be viewing a little more critically, but the inexperienced combination of piakura, mam and either cobbo/mariner will be a target.

I hope piakura puts in the same effort riki does with the one percenters, because if he does then he could be very good.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I am worried about our left side defence next year. I have been rewatching some 2023 games. I know capewell missed a few tackles (and important ones) but he did so much clean up work, kick pressure and finishing up tackles (either wrapping up the ball or taking it to the ground). He covered mam, led the edge linespeed and covered some kicks behind the line.

Piakura however just didn't show those effort areas. He didnt move off the defensive line well and when the ball got past him, he would walk and not follow the ball. I will put my hand up and admit I am not sold on piakura so may be viewing a little more critically, but the inexperienced combination of piakura, mam and either cobbo/mariner will be a target.

I hope piakura puts in the same effort riki does with the one percenters, because if he does then he could be very good.
I agree but Riki didn’t just wake up and decide to put in effort areas it was drilled into him by staff and culture. Piakura I agree can have the lazy tendency but if you get the fitness up and get him passionate and confident in his footy that will come as long as it is DRILLED INTO HIM.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019

Very true and Piakura was especially lazy in the GF, he just just wasn't at the same pace as the other 25 players on the field. I've been rewatching some games lately and Capewell did some great things last year but he also did plenty of dumb shit and made horrible defensive reads at times. Not to mention his weak as piss hit ups.

If Piakura can follow the Riki route he will be great.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
414996777 765384228955959 4266955233188120423 n

KateBroncos1812

KateBroncos1812

NRL Player
Jul 28, 2023
Well when Adam Reynolds was in Toowoomba someone asked him about 2025 he said he pushing for an extension

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Herbert Felix is a lot bigger than Mariner . I think Mariner is a little undersized for a centre .

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • I bleed Maroon
  • the_next
  • winslow_wong
  • mrslong
  • broncs30
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • RodF
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • theshed
  • Mick_Hancock
  • simplythebest
  • broncotville
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • Spooky1013
  • ezpz
  • Swordfish
... and 54 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.