Amazing NFL article.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Just goes to show how much pressure a life like this puts on you and those around you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3711336

The moment perfectly captures how NFL players feel these days. On Nov. 26, 2007, Taylor was shot by intruders in the bedroom of his Miami home while his girlfriend and 18-month-old daughter hid under the covers. The botched robbery attempt was another horrific chapter of a crime wave against pro athletes, one that's shocked NFL players into a paradigm shift in self-awareness and security. Yet no matter how closely they protect themselves, many still can't shake the feeling that someone is out there, just beyond the blinds, lurking. "I don't think the NFL is gonna ever be the same," says Portis. "As a football player, Sean thrived on instilling fear in people on the field. Then you wake up in the middle of the night, and you hear something rattling around in your house, and in a split secondâ€â€now the fear is in you."

That's a very good article. Can you imagine if the football players over here were readily attacked and/or killed? Imagine the public outcry!

That being said, it definitely is a big issue over there when iconic sportsmen are attacked and killed regularly. Sounds like Portis has a good system in place, and I would recommend the same to every other professional athlete.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Such an amazing player. Shame to see young talent like that wasted.

Bloody oath! Definitely Hall of Fame material.

Did I hear that he was getting inducted this year, or was that the 'skins HOF?

That was the 'skins Hall of Honor. I am fairly sure.

Plus you need to be inactive for 5 years to be eligible for HOF.

I was just about to post this article up actually.

Very good insight into the world of professional sports. Probably not so much in Australia but definitley in the USA. Everyone thinks these guys have it easy - playing sport for a living. But we don't think of the hidden costs that they have to put themselves through. Dunta Robinson recalling how he was the victim of a home invasion is completely nuts. It was also interesting to note how much it gets drilled into NFL rookies that they should only associate with thier closest of close friends.

And people thinks it's rude or ignorant when big sports stars ignore them at a club or out and about. This is exactly why they act this way.

I would say Australian athletes don't nearly have as much pressure as these guys. Everyone knows who they are. From college career to hall of fame. Every step of their life people follow. It's amazing. I actually feel sorry for them, playing the sport they love, and barely being able to enjoy any of it because of the absolutely insanity of fans, and people who want to attack them because they are famous.

There's a fine line between being a fanatic and a lunatic. Unfortunatly this is the case for a lot of American sports, and I think professional athletes in the country should consider themselves very lucky that they aren't under the type of scruitiny that their American counterparts are.

And the fanaticism even goes down to High school or College football. Its incredible.

EDIT: And in the midst of all this, this story comes out of Dallas.

Does Jessica Simpson know about this? Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo went to the movies recently with an individual that wasn't his pop star girlfriend. From DallasNews.com:

A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark Theatre in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. He planned to spend his day passing out fliers and accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the worker behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc, who requested that his real name not be used, hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out fliers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, Role Model had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his friend. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

I'm a new member and I like goats feel free to my email addy : sh-seo@tom.com to all email mailing list you can... I like goats and men.

Thank you.

lulz. goats? Zohan will like you. Does he fetch onion soup?

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  • Mustafur
  • Brocko
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • Pablo
  • phoenix
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.