Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
On the Fullback note I'd be giving Cobbo and Herbie a crack before we throw nearly a million at Manu even a couple games each to end the year off to know if what they lack can be developed.
A full pre season with Reynolds and Gamble running the show telling them what lines they want them to run on sweep plays and the positions they want them in attack.
Alot more can be learnt this preseason than previous ones with croft Milford and deardon.
But if we're buying someone Hammer should be considered aswell will be half the price of Manu

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Not privy to all the antics of Macguire but he would be a far better signing than Napa or James. Get it done at a good price and happy days. Sometimes you need a bit of grub and grit - he would provide that.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Not privy to all the antics of Macguire but he would be a far better signing than Napa or James. Get it done at a good price and happy days. Sometimes you need a bit of grub and grit - he would provide that.
Yeah, if they are all roughly the same cheap price, I'd take McGuire back over the other 2.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
McGuire didn't win a game this year at the Cows and since he went to the Dragons they went to shit too

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The Broncos have knocked back extending Danny Levi. Looks like he'll be headed to the ESL after all. They've also passed on giving Will Chambers a last hurrah.
I think that is a good decision... we've got 3 hookers on the books already in Turps, Paix and Walters, with Kobe able to chip in if things get really dire... having a 4th in the top 30 just starts to be over kill.

Regardless of the perception on skill for our current hooking rotation we have effectively made our bed on who is contracted to the club and we have to live with it... Levi is a bit of a journeyman hooker, so whilst he's proving to be better than Turps at the moment, no team seems to want to commit to him in the long term, which probably says something.

I tend to think it's his inability to follow a game plan and a propensity to go it alone too often. You can see those hookers where it gets close to the try line and you think "he's going to have a run here"... or they go with 3 crash plays in a row... but they pick the wrong time to do it and it can stifle the attack and waste tackles.

That's probably how I've viewed Levi across the bulk of his career and it probably starts to impact on a coach's ability to trust him.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I also haven't forgotten our need for a genuine fullback either. Interesting to see how it plays out at Parra with Gutherson. I'd definitely put him ahead of Manu and surely we'd have the $1M available in 2023...
I dunno... I think Gutho benefits from the players around him, where he can finish off backline movements and always be in support, etc. but he's not really the chief that sparks the attack in the first place.... Parra at the moment is not getting much from their spine and even though Gutho is trying his guts out, his efforts aren't really improving their attack.

On the other hand Manu just seems to make things happen... when he's played fullback this year he's done it with a spine of kids (Teddy is not there to help) and just makes things happen through his running game.

The only concern I would have of Manu is that he hasn't shown any ball playing.... his running is usually so good that ball playing isn't required, but you still want that guy who can pick the right play on a sweep and not always be looking to run through the goal line defence.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
I will be over the moon if we get Mo. Him and Haas are a top 4 front row combo.
Would love if we got Api too. Reuniting him and Reynolds would be mint.

Jayarcie

Jayarcie

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2020
I think Mcguire out of all the front options rumoured would be the best pick. He adds aggression and niggle but isn't a complete suspension magnet. Has a little bit of footwork before the line and he's build suits the current rules. Smaller and more mobile forwards are the future of the game with the new rule changes. Why not be ahead of the time?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I think Mcguire out of all the front options rumoured would be the best pick. He adds aggression and niggle but isn't a complete suspension magnet. Has a little bit of footwork before the line and he's build suits the current rules. Smaller and more mobile forwards are the future of the game with the new rule changes. Why not be ahead of the time?
The consideration would be price.

- McGuire is the best option but he's also the most expensive.
- Napa is probably next given he's slightly younger and isn't carrying the injury record that James does.
- James probably comes in at bottom dollar

It could be something like
McGuire @ $400k-$450k,
Napa @ $200k-$250k, or
James @ $150k

and then it comes down to the intended role... are we looking for experienced or are we looking for being able to contribute every game every week ie. a regular in the 17, +100m and 30 tackles a game

I think all can be a regular, but Moose provides the most (50mins a game and 100m etc... Napa and James bring equal amounts but will require the rest of the pack to step up).

For me McGuire would be the preference pending cost, otherwise I'm going James

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I dunno... I think Gutho benefits from the players around him, where he can finish off backline movements and always be in support, etc. but he's not really the chief that sparks the attack in the first place.... Parra at the moment is not getting much from their spine and even though Gutho is trying his guts out, his efforts aren't really improving their attack.

On the other hand Manu just seems to make things happen... when he's played fullback this year he's done it with a spine of kids (Teddy is not there to help) and just makes things happen through his running game.

The only concern I would have of Manu is that he hasn't shown any ball playing.... his running is usually so good that ball playing isn't required, but you still want that guy who can pick the right play on a sweep and not always be looking to run through the goal line defence.

Manu sounds a lot like...Farnworth. The difference is, Manu is more experienced, has played as part of a FAR better team even with the injuries and has been given a run at the back. This is why I really want to see what Herbie / Cobbo have before we run out and sign a million dollar semi-tested player. I rate Manu a LOT, I just don't want to get into a bidding war for a player who could turn out to be the next Teddy or could out to be the next Cory Alan.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Manu sounds a lot like...Farnworth. The difference is, Manu is more experienced, has played as part of a FAR better team even with the injuries and has been given a run at the back. This is why I really want to see what Herbie / Cobbo have before we run out and sign a million dollar semi-tested player. I rate Manu a LOT, I just don't want to get into a bidding war for a player who could turn out to be the next Teddy or could out to be the next Cory Alan.
Manu already isn’t the next Allan. Manu’s average over the last few years isn’t even within kooee of Allan’s absolute best performance.

How dare you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Midean
  • BooKhaki
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  • Jedhead
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • scobie
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.