NEWS Footy legends call on Wayne Bennett to shift Anthony Milford to fullback for Brisbane

Anyone who thinks Boyd should move to 6 have got no clue. He is in his twilight years and his best years are not ahead of him. He might be a bigger body but he doesn't have game management also, doesn't have a kicking game except his grubber on the sweep play and doesn't have a good passing game, only the floating cut out on the sweep play. You cant compare him to Locky, when Locky was 6 he was a natural ball player with a great kicking game. Boyd is not.
At this stage, best to leave Milf at 6, but im real worried in this area, we need a natural 7 next to him. Kodi and Milf are too similar. Milf is not suited to this role, he plays better off the cuff and instinctively. Leave Macca at 9, he is not a half.
We royally stuffed up letting Taylor go, but we cant do anything about it now, and work on who we have now.

Our whole attack needs a restructure. We look predictable and our structure looks flat with no variety. Our 2 backrowers and lock dont offload anymore - Gillo in his early years was the offload king, not sure why he doesnt do this anymore. McGuire is a lock who plays like a prop - no offload skills, just hitups. Move him to prop and move Bird to his preferred position at 13. This will give us some more options in attack.

Pretty sure the experts mentioned they think Boyd should go into the no.6.

As mentioned in other threads. Milford has no room to move at the minute. He is flat footed and those around him are flat footed. The forwards aren't getting the roll on any half needs to open up in attack. McCullough isn't giving him clean enough ball. There aren't enough players in motion around Milford.......

You can see Milford is frustrated.......the space just isn't there, no-one else is asking questions of the opposition, so when Milford does get the ball, the defence just swallows him knowing that he is the one Brisbane are relying on to produce the "magic".

Players across the team dropping the ball on the first tackle 4-5 times a game...certainly isn't helping things. There are so many other things not quite right with the entire team right now, other than the answer being ...move Milford back to fullback.
To me the reason milf is so flat footed is because he is getting it two wide and typically off the middle forward acting as first receiver (McGuire, Lodge, Sammy and Sims have all been used in this fashion for the LST couple years).

I've also noticed that Knik spends too much time on the blindside. He's not really looking to make a play it just seems like he's there just to make sure he stays on the right side of the ruck. He should always be on the open side of the ruck unless he wants to attack the blind.

I feel this is where we need to change. We can still play split halves (only because that's what they've been training as) but the first receiver on any spread should be the half and the half should always be on the open side of the ruck unless they see something down the blind.

That's where the quick wrap around the rucks work best, Moses tore us to shreds last year by quickly attack the blind after starting on the open side of the ruck.

Also if the half wants the ball they should be wider and closer to the advantage line pending defensive line speed. Would have them outside the a & b defenders with the open side of the field to work with. We know Macca can make these passes because we used to play like this when the spread was Wallace, Lockyer, Khunt and 3 passes had us covering 3/4 of the field.

Basically what I'm saying is STOP USING THE MIDDLE FORWARDS AS FIRST RECEIVER!!

I think the only reason for experts suggesting Boyd goes to 6 is because no one wants to say drop the captain.
Blind freddie can see he is scared to run and tear his hammy again.

Bird to fullback IMO and Opa to centre . He is a defensive centre which should suit us seeing as our centres don't get much attacking ball or early ball anyway.

Boyd needs to accept that unless he can run he is no longer an NRL standard player.
He certainly doesn't add enough as a captain to overlook his current deficiencies.

WB has to accept that unless Boyd can run we won't be contenders so why wait.

I agree with other posters though, we have other things to fix before any back can have an influence on the game.

Unless his gran Torino dad wises up and makes the right decision on his son, Boyd will keep playing even if he had an amputated leg to the age of 60.

I wanted Milford at Fullback way back when the whole Boyd to the Broncos discussion started, but I'd prefer to keep him where he is now.
Boyd himself is a whole other discussion, and on current form and physical ability, he should be dropped from the team (captain or not).

Although I can't see us continue to perform as badly, I also cannot see us make a real dent in the competition either, so I would take the gamble with Kodi at fullback (our Matty Bowen) and pick a ISC halfback (almost anyone) to be Milford's Shane Perry. Hopefully Dargan has the goods!

Of course, none of the above will make a difference if our forwards keep dropping the ball, but unlike the rest of our issues, that is something I do trust Wayne to fix.

These "legends" are idiots though. If there is one way to make Wayne more determined and stubborn than ever, it's ex players and the media coming out and saying he's wrong.

All this will do it guarantee that nothing changes for at least the next few months.

The thing also is Wayne won’t want milf to outplay his son

These "legends" are idiots though. If there is one way to make Wayne more determined and stubborn than ever, it's ex players and the media coming out and saying he's wrong.

All this will do it guarantee that nothing changes for at least the next few months.

It's a shame these guys feel the need to spout this bullshit. I often wonder if they actually believe it or are they simply looking for something to say.

The thing also is Wayne won’t want milf to outplay his son

I think you need a Bex and a lie down mate.

The best idea imo would be
moving Milford to fb, Boyd to centre and putting Bird to 5/8.

I can remember the constant calls for Locky to move back to fullback. Luckily Wayne didnt listen. I can even recall Alfie saying he should move to half back once!

Sometimes being a top quality player in the past doesnt mean you dont spout rubbish!

The best idea imo would be
moving Milford to fb, Boyd to centre and putting Bird to 5/8.
We still end up with 2 ball runners and no direction. Boyd to 7 means he's the maestro, leaving Kodi and Milf to do what they do best. Or Kodi leaves or goes back to a bench role and Bird goes to 6??..
I like the idea of Bird in the 13.
The big question however, is Boyd capable of the play making role? He's got nice hands but can he kick?

I can remember the constant calls for Locky to move back to fullback. Luckily Wayne didnt listen. I can even recall Alfie saying he should move to half back once!

Sometimes being a top quality player in the past doesnt mean you dont spout rubbish!

Difference with Lockyer is you could take his running game out of the picture and he still had quality to offer, he just needed time to readjust to going back to playing 5/8th (like he had early in his career and defensively in the frontlines), eventually his running game adjusted(granted not to the heights of his youth). Morons like Gould(who led the charge) don't look at the big picture and see whats best for the team. On the other hand with someone like Milford or Nikorima, take away their running game and your left with next to nothing to work with, combine those two players and your in all sorts especially when the opposition know how to shut them down. If you want both those players in the spine, you need someone who can confidently provide the playmaking and general play kicking necessary to do so we don't have that.

I disagree re: Milford having next to nothing if you take away his running game. I think he has plenty of ball playing ability, albeit still currently in its development stage.

I disagree re: Milford having next to nothing if you take away his running game. I think he has plenty of ball playing ability, albeit still currently in its development stage.
Think he seems to lack a bit of vision.
Doesn't seem to have a good feel for individual games. They run out with a plan but if the opposition are onto it he can't adapt. I understand that these qualities will come with experience but that doesn't help us in the short term.

Watch our defence get even worse if he does make the switch to fullback.

Besides, if the forwards keep getting dominated then it's not going to make any difference. He still won't be able to do anything because we'll constantly be on the back foot.

Watch our defence get even worse if he does make the switch to fullback.

Besides, if the forwards keep getting dominated then it's not going to make any difference. He still won't be able to do anything because we'll constantly be on the back foot.

Sure but he would cover a lot more ground on the first run than Boyd currently is. That extra five-ten + metres a run would make a HUGE amount of difference.

If rumours are true on Walters leaving because Wayne doesn't take on any new ideas then there is no way in hell Milford ever moves to fullback even if it's a game of touch football at training.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • marw
  • Culhwch
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Spoon
  • DMZ
  • thenry
  • Lurker
  • Totally Unr3al
  • ell.d33
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.