NEWS Mam or Dearden? Why Munster agony should signal Ezra’s moment to shine

BHQArticleImageLarge49

Just last year, Maroons coach Billy Slater signalled his philosophy when it came to bestowing Queensland jerseys: form would prevail over reputations.

For that reason, Broncos star Ezra Mam should be considered the frontrunner to fill the void set to be left by Cameron Munster, courtesy of yet another injury.

The sight of the Melbourne Storm five-eighth clutching in agony at his troublesome groin during his side’s 48-16 Magic Round triumph on Sunday is expected to leave him in a cluttered Queensland casualty ward for State of Origin Game 1 on June 5.

He will join Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Thomas Flegler and Tom Gilbert, while reigning Dally M medal winner Kalyn Ponga is also on the sidelines.

Munster was set to get scans on Monday, having missed the first month of the season with the same setback, and concern is rife his year could be over if surgery is required.

“Don’t put me 100 per cent here - but I think if he has an operation now he probably won’t play again for the rest of the year,” Storm coach Craig Bellamy said post-game.

“He missed the first four or five games of the season with it. If he’s capable of playing towards the end of the season we might go that way, but he has to have a say in it, too.

“I had a chat with Billy the other day – at the end of the day I’m not saying he can’t play Origin either ... I’ve never stopped anyone from playing Origin who wanted to play.

“That’ll be a decision for Cameron to make when we find out what the damage is and our plan to try and mend it.”

While Munster’s absence would be a cruel blow to the Maroons’ hopes of sealing a third straight series win, Mam has been electric for Brisbane without halfback Adam Reynolds, out with a bicep tear.

The 21-year-old’s best performances this year have come without his regular partner in crime, and he now appears destined to enter a two-way battle with Cowboys maestro Tom Dearden for Munster’s Maroons jumper.

Dearden, who starred in his sole appearance for Queensland two years ago, produced a timely reminder of his credentials in Magic Round – his two tries and a pair of linebreaks helping North Queensland break a five-game losing streak against the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

But since the Broncos’ round six win over the Dolphins, Mam has surged into contention, registering three tries, eight try assists and eight linebreak assists in his past five games.

His defence has also improved – often the first man in the tackle on kick chases – and his instinctive style could be the perfect foil for halfback Daly Cherry-Evans.

For his part, Dearden has registered five tries, three try assists and five linebreak assists in 11 outings this year.

But Maroons centre Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow believes past relationships could give Dearden the edge.

Tabuai-Fidow made an emphatic comeback from a hamstring injury in the Dolphins’ Magic Round triumph over the Tigers on Sunday, and is ready to reclaim his place on the Maroons’ left edge.

“The Hammer” also played alongside Dearden with North Queensland, and experienced first-hand what impact pre-existing partnerships could have in Origin when he lined up with close friend Murray Taulagi.

“I played with Tommy Dearden at centre too, and we all know what he can do,” Tabuai-Fidow said.

“Obviously, Murray plays the same side as him, and it will give him confidence as well - they play week in, week out and if he does come into the team I think he’ll do a really good job for us.

“He works hard, and he’s a good attacking player, too. Obviously, we have big names out, but whoever pulls on that jersey I know is going to put 100 per cent into it as well.”

It is a compelling argument, and may also work in Mam’s favour given his rapport with Reece Walsh and Selwyn Cobbo.

Slater also showed last year his willingness to decide on form when he chose Walsh to become the state’s new fullback, despite Ponga’s man-of-the-match performance in the decisive Game 3 clash the year prior.

He displayed that same mentality in selecting Gilbert – traditionally a middle forward – in the second row at the expense of seasoned campaigners Kurt Capewell and Felise Kaufusi.

And when it comes to the big stage, cast an eye over Mam’s grand final hat-trick just seven months ago.

He proved then that the game’s most daunting cauldrons would not deter him.

Sydney Morning Herald

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I get yours' and @Foordy call, but Queensland have not changed their 'incumbent' criteria since day one and it has kept them in good stead. So for Billy to change it is a huge call.

except several times during Slaters stint.

just as a couple of random examples: Billy has dropped both Gagai and Capewell, despite both players being incumbents, fit and available for selection.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Capewell
Kaufusi
Gagai
Welch

All incumbents who have been dropped. Dearden isn't even an incumbent.
Yes incumbents who are on a shoogly peg get a further game to prove otherwise. In every case you mention they failed the test and got dropped next game. It's how it works here.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yes incumbents who are on a shoogly peg get a further game to prove otherwise. In every case you mention they failed the test and got dropped next game. It's how it works here.

a) now you're moving the goal posts

b) most, if not all, of those players were dropped for game one of the series. QLD's former incumbency policy has meant that the incumbents get first crack to start the series if they are fit

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
For the record, I am not pushing for Mam, just saying it is by no means a foregone conclusion. Pretty nice luxury to have these to choose from to replace Munster.
It is indeed. I'd much rather have another 2 - as in another two genuine contenders from the The and the Tits. I hope that day will come before I pass that this happens as it means then we are starting to get parity with the cockroaches.

If you haven't lived there you don't know how much they know about the game and how much it means to them. Ilived there for three years. Even the kindy kids fight about the weekend scores.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The bigger question is which one complements DCE. They'll get the nod.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I think Ezra will go down as one of the all time QLD half's. He gives me JT vibes and I mainly mean his tenacity and ability to be around the ball. He is honestly the guy I see the most untapped potential at our club, he has room for so much growth. I don't think he will be there this year but only because Dearden has already proven himself before. But Ezra is right behind just waiting for the chance and it will come. Both will do the jersey proud and not miss their assignment.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Could be good experience for Ezra if he makes it. It sucks for the Broncos to lose him for a game or 2, but I keep thinking of Thaiday and how much of a jump he had after being his QLD debut, and keep hoping the same will happen to other Broncos players too.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I honestly can’t agree I think Ezra has been by far the better player in every metric except defence which I don’t think is shit at all let alone shit enough to not select him. Not something I would get outraged or even disappointed over if Deardens picked but like let’s be real Ezra definitely isn’t going to lose you an origin but he sure as fucken shit can win you one, Deardens intangibles and through effort alone can definitely help win one but I don’t think he can win one off skills.

Magic origin moments are won by magic players. Ezra holds the magic moment that Dearden doesn't.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
I wonder if this injury list all clubs have will rethink how we do Origin moving forward?
I would counter that with — when the morons in PVL & Annersly pull their fuckin dumb heads in looking at why today’s game is not good for players longevity in the game.
They simply need to realise that they’ve fucked up the game so bad with their absurd change of rules as they please.

Ondi

Ondi

BRL Player
Apr 4, 2024
I think Dearden will get the nod but I expect Ezra to be in camp soaking it all up in the extended squad. It's only a matter of time before he gets his hands on that No 6 jersey.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Ezra is twice the player dearden is, and he has about 10 x the potential. His ceiling is astronomical, and he's nowhere near it but he still did a once in a lifetime performance in a gf. No one can tell me dearden could get anywhere near what mam did in that game. That gf performance and 5/8th of the year with Walsh and carrigan connection in a top 4 team and winning without the halfback and captain with him taking on a leadership role increase vs cowboys looking kike a bottom 4 team with a top 4 roster with dearden given the keys.... I love the qld pick and stick but if it was on pure merit it's ridiculous to even think dearden is near mam.

Having said all that, from a broncos point of view I hope they pick dearden. It would be a lose-lose for us. Qld lose he gets the blame like all good broncos do and he drops his confidence, they win would be great but we need him fresh.

Perfect scenario would be he gets picked as 18th man, dearden gets an illegal shot in the 60th minute with us 10 points behind after he one dimensional derps it up then mam comes on and scores a double to win it.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • The Strapper
  • Harry Sack
  • maddo
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.