NEWS Milford is back, baby

As Anthony Milford heaped sugar onto his Coco Pops Monday morning, he had no idea he was about to be tasked with his biggest challenge yet. To guide his former club, the Souths Magpies, to their first premiership in 13 years. Get along to Davies Park at 3PM today to see him in action:

“I didn’t know what to expect. We went through the video and he pointed out some things in my game I wasn’t doing well. I agreed. To hear I was dropped ... it was tough. I’ve never been in a position to hear those words, but I have to get over the fact I’ve been dropped and use it as a positive. I’ve always been a team-first player so whatever he thought was best for the team, I’ll accept it. While it’s disappointing, I’m hoping it’s a blessing in disguise.”

“I haven’t been up to the standards that I set myself and Kevvie’s as well. The truth is I need to be better. I have to be accountable.”

“I have some mixed emotions. Some nerves, but some excitement, too. I’m going to have a lot of family and friends coming to support me so I’m looking forward to playing some football."

HGlory Glory to the Magpies Front Cover

Glory is only the beginning

“I am pretty keen to get back to a club where I played Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cup. It’s not a new club for me. I will be going back to see some familiar faces and it’s a club I love because that’s where I started out. One thing I’m excited about is playing with Karmichael Hunt. Souths have a few ex-NRL players, Albert Kelly and Kevin Locke are there, so when I went to training on Wednesday it opened my eyes up to the quality of players there.”

“I’ll be honest, I’m not too sure what my future is at the Broncos. It’s out of my control really. I’m leaving the contract stuff to my manager and we’ll see what happens. In an ideal world, I want to stay. That’s what I hope. But I understand the Broncos have a lot of players off-contract and it’s hard to keep everyone. But just because I’ve been dropped, I’m not going to be one of those players who jumps on the phone straight away wanting a release."

“Kevvie has reassured me as well that he hasn’t given up on me. He told me to go and enjoy myself in Queensland Cup, get some confidence from playing there and then see how I go and try and find my way back into the team. I’ve copped it. I have to be better. I know there is a lot of noise around me, but I know I’m not done. I will be back.”

“I don’t look at my contract as a burden. It’s the nature of the beast. The scrutiny is what comes with playing football at this level. I am at a pretty powerful club at the Broncos and there is always a big focus on us. The Broncos expect to be in the finals every year and they expect to be winning more games than they lose. The year we made the grand final, it was a huge confidence thing for me."

Hmirifai   CMVyWpzHK5i

Won't let them down

“As a group, we had built a lot of momentum and there was a lot of self-belief and the team gave me the confidence to back myself. I did things that season that I didn’t think I was capable of doing because the self-belief in the team was so strong. For whatever reason over the past two or three years, I haven’t been able to perform consistently. It has affected my confidence.”

" Look, I’m not the best trainer at the club but I make an effort. I’ve always felt I’m a better player than a trainer. There have been a lot of great players over the years who weren’t the best trainers. One thing I know is I do care. I care a lot about winning games for the Broncos. Every game I go out there wanting to win. I’m not one to blame anything or anyone else for what’s happened. I’m not using injuries as an excuse. I’m not too sure how long I’m going to be at Souths Logan, but I want to get back in that Broncos jumper.”

McHunt

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Yip , call me naive but Ive got this feeling Milf is in line for a e morro night which spells disaster for the Cows and happy days for us.
If it's a nice dry track and the boys can complete their sets at 80-90% completion then he could definitely turn it on.

I just think if we can keep cows out of our half then we win easily... they just don't have the kicking game or long range threat to be an issue from inside their own half.

Will be interesting to see if Payten reneges on his 50min max for Lolo tomorrow night... Lolo looked impotent last week and I think he only played 45-50mins... can definitely see him going full Green and overplaying Lolo when he desperately needs a win

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Yip , call me naive but Ive got this feeling Milf is in line for a e morro night which spells disaster for the Cows and happy days for us.
Now that his nemesis Michael Morgan isn’t there, he better turn on a big performance.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
If it's a nice dry track and the boys can complete their sets at 80-90% completion then he could definitely turn it on.

I just think if we can keep cows out of our half then we win easily... they just don't have the kicking game or long range threat to be an issue from inside their own half.

Will be interesting to see if Payten reneges on his 50min max for Lolo tomorrow night... Lolo looked impotent last week and I think he only played 45-50mins... can definitely see him going full Green and overplaying Lolo when he desperately needs a win
Forecast is good.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Had a good feeling last week, tbh have a good feeling again today. Haven't had that for a while. If we don't get smashed with 6 agains in the first half - which is a real possibility - we should go close.

Oh yeah, not conceding 4 tries in 10 minutes would help lads.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
It's a sensationalist headline - nowhere there did he state Milford was better than Langer, just that he was on the same level as him, at the same age. He could see similarities between the two.

Unfortunately for us, Milford has not lived up to this potential, and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Alfie now.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
It's a sensationalist headline - nowhere there did he state Milford was better than Langer, just that he was on the same level as him, at the same age. He could see similarities between the two.

Unfortunately for us, Milford has not lived up to this potential, and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Alfie now.
Perhaps if Milf had resorted to dancing on a few tables in his skiddies it might all have been different. He needed to cultivate the same care-free attitude as Alfie. Unfortunately, Milf's attitude strikes me as less care-free and more couldn't careless.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Milford is better than Langer by the same margin that @broncsgoat is better than Milford.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
He just likes posting about milford and tagging me. It's a bit weird but I guess he's a weird guy.
Hey, at least as of November this year we'll likely never have to post about Milford again.

Obviously aside from you continuing to sporadically remind everyone that he was the 2018 POTY.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • phoenix
  • davidp
  • lynx000
  • Dash
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Behold
  • Harry Sack
  • Nerd
  • BruiserMk1
  • Allo
  • TimWhatley
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.