New CEO Paul White

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Holds MBA and has spent last 5 years in a senior position with Anglo American Metallurgical Coal and is currently a senior executive. He has extensive League coaching experience at all levels and was also named in the Rugby League QLD police team of the century alongside guys like Mal and Benny.

Meat77 said:
What happened to Gene Miles getting it?
I dont think he was ever a front runner, they were always after a guy with strong business and commerce background to take the club to another level thats why they were looking outside of the club.

Broncos Name New Chief Executive
Trad McLean
Bronco Media
11/10/2010 10:25:27 AM
http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx? ... -executive

The Board of Brisbane Broncos Limited has today announced the appointment of Mr Paul White as new Chief Executive Officer, effective January 1, 2011.

This follows an earlier announcement that the current chief executive, Mr Bruno Cullen, will retire at the end of the 2010 calendar year.

Mr White has a strong corporate background as a holder of an MBA, and has spent the past five years in senior positions with Anglo American Metallurgical Coal.

Prior to that he spent a number of years with Xstrata Zinc and is currently a senior executive with Anglo American Metallurgical Coal, based in Brisbane.

He has lived and worked extensively throughout regional Queensland including almost 20 years in the Queensland Police Service.

Mr White has been heavily involved in Rugby League both as a player and a coach and has held an impressive range of appointments.

He has captained both the North Queensland and Central Queensland teams and has been a premiership player/coach in various towns including Emerald, Moranbah, Mt Isa and Rockhampton.

In 2001, 2003 and 2004, Mr White was the Staff Coach at the Queensland Academy of Sport Emerging Origin Players program.

He was the Queensland under 17 coach in 2006 and in 2008 Mr White was named in the Queensland Police Team of the Century which included greats such as Mal Meninga, Peter Jackson, Greg Veivers and Wayne Bennett.

During his time in the Queensland Police Service, Mr White was awarded the Queensland Police Service Medal and the National Service Medal.

In 2007-08 Mr White was selected for the Vincent Fairfax Fellowship Award and was involved in an advanced leadership program.

Mr White has also gained a number of community awards. He has been extensively involved in working with aboriginal communities and in particular with aboriginal youth programs.

In announcing the appointment, Broncos’ Chairman, Mr Darryl Somerville, said the Broncos’ Board was very pleased to have found someone with the rare combination of business experience and passion for the game of Rugby League.

“Paul’s background and experience make him an ideal person to fill the role of chief executive of the WOW Brisbane Broncos,” said Mr Somerville.

“He has worked in senior corporate positions for many years. He has an MBA and also has a very long and successful rugby league career both as a player and a coach.

“We very much look forward to Paul commencing with the Broncos in January 2011. There will be a hand-over period early in the year and from then it will not be long until trial games, the season launch and our first game.

“Paul will hit the ground running and I know he is looking forward to it.”

Seems like a good appointment. I like the fact it's someone completely outside the Broncos' organisation. Note that the 3 previous CEOs all got promoted from within the club (Cullen, Shane Edwards and John Ribot).

I would've been happy with Gene Miles for the same reason. He's had no formal involvement with the front office of the club since leaving as a player in 1991. And he's made a name for himself in business.

Still, nowhere near the same calibre of business experience that Paul White has.

This sounds like an excellent appointment to me

Being an ex cop he might be able to call in some favours if the boys step outa line again ;)

Sounds like a very astute appointment, hope he is personable. First job is hopefully a full review of the front office followed by some departures and recruitment of new people that will reinvigorate the club off the field in marketing, administration, and PR with the fans. Good luck Paul you have a big job ahead of you icon_thumbs_u

My worry with Geno was always the aura of the FOGS would then be hanging over the club, this is fine for SOO but not for a club team IMHO.

Very impressive CV, he sounds as though he will be perfect for the role. I just hope he takes more of a backseat re team matters compared to Bruno.

lynx000 said:
Very impressive CV, he sounds as though he will be perfect for the role. I just hope he takes more of a backseat re team matters compared to Bruno.

This. The fact he was coaching in some capacity as recently as 2006 is my only concern...hopefully he doesn't still harbour ambitions as a "coach".

Seems like a well disciplined fellow, I look forward to see what he can do for this club.

Just hope that he isn't a media whore like the last CEO.

Looks good on paper but I'll reserve my judgement.

I would have preferred someone maybe not directly already in the organisation but who has been and understands the culture. Coxy - Bruno was not really from within - he was previously the CEO of Qld Country Credit Union who are a sponsor of the Broncos. But he wasn't from within and didn't really understand the culture like Ribot (who let's face it was actually one of the main people who set up the initial culture) and Edwards (who came through with it). And things on-field started going worse when Bruno took over and I think a large part of this was because he was from outside (or the periphery).

Having said all that, Mr White shall have my full support unless he performs in a way that shows me he doesn't deserve it.

Flutterby said:
Looks good on paper but I'll reserve my judgement.

I would have preferred someone maybe not directly already in the organisation but who has been and understands the culture. Coxy - Bruno was not really from within - he was previously the CEO of Qld Country Credit Union who are a sponsor of the Broncos. But he wasn't from within and didn't really understand the culture like Ribot (who let's face it was actually one of the main people who set up the initial culture) and Edwards (who came through with it). And things on-field started going worse when Bruno took over and I think a large part of this was because he was from outside (or the periphery).

Having said all that, Mr White shall have my full support unless he performs in a way that shows me he doesn't deserve it.

Bruno had been involved with the Broncos in various roles since 1989.

Flutterby said:
Yeah but he was never really "part" of the Broncos

[icon_shru What have you got to do to be part of the Broncos? Like Coxy said, He had been involved as trainer/runner and in minor coaching roles from '89 until taking on the role of CEO.

Anyway - Good luck to Paul White. He was assistant coach to Anthony Griffin at Redcliffe when the the Mighty Phins won the premiership in 2006, so he already has plenty going for him icon_thumbs_u

Active Now

• something
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Jedhead
  • Brotherdu
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • sooticus
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • The Don
  • Cavalo
  • Maroon4life
  • ettybay
  • marw
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.