NRL 2023 Finals Week 1 Discussion

I don’t think an upset was happening with him in the side, but this just confirms the win for the Panthers.
Does make not beating storm last week look worse, because easy dub this week if we were playing worriers

Does make not beating storm last week look worse, because easy dub this week if we were playing worriers
Except we would've definitely been playing storm if we had beat them last week... they finished on the same points as warriors even though warriors lost.

Except we would've definitely been playing storm if we had beat them last week... they finished on the same points as warriors even though warriors lost.
Okayyyyyy you know what I mean though guys😂

Which system do people prefer with the finals? The one we have now or the old McIntyre system?
I prefer this system, but if they were to introduce the bye round before finals then it might work better with the McIntyre system.

Some of those lower placed teams could come in with momentum in previous finals, but the bye round would kill some of that off.

It would also mean that a rested Broncos would be playing a rested rorters week 1 (not great)... but a rested Panthers would be playing raiders... would mean we would go all out for the minor prem last week.

Under McIntyre the two highest winners got the bye and into prelim, but did the two highest losers get the home final the next week??

Just trying to remember if 7th or 8th were ever a chance of getting a home final, because they won in week 1.. if so then that is messed up, because there would be no reward for the season if 4th place lost in week 1.

Just trying to remember if 7th or 8th were ever a chance of getting a home final, because they won in week 1.. if so then that is messed up, because there would be no reward for the season if 4th place lost in week 1.

Pretty sure they did actually and yeah, that's messed up.

I'd have thought not, because they'd go on to play the highest ranked loser of the remaining games, who would host?

1694128393115.png

Link for reference

I'd have thought not, because they'd go on to play the highest ranked loser of the remaining games, who would host?
The worst case scenario for the top 4 under McIntyre would be 1-4 all losing in week 1.

That would mean 3rd and 4th eliminated straight away

5th and 6th into the prelims with a home final

I would assume 1st and 2nd get to keep their home ground advantage even though they lost, but cant remember.

EDIT: just saw above that 1st and 2nd would also lose their home ground advantage. Completely messed up system. Basically means the whole season only provides a reward for the first week of the finals, which is pretty crap.

Either way McIntyre ended up being pretty messed up, because if 1st or 2nd lost in week 1 then 3rd - 6th were all at risk of being eliminated week 1 if they lost.

I think that's effectively why it was changed to the current system.

Can recall leading up to the change in formats that 7th and 8th had made some runs in the finals and higher up teams were being eliminated effectively discounting the entire season that had taken place.

Warriors beating storm from 8th in 2011??
Parra's run in 2009 came from 8th as well

It also meant that NRL were getting high quality matches throughout the finals instead of 1st and 2nd usually beating up on teams scraping into the 8

So Penrith lost their home ground advantage in the second week of the finals despite coming second in the regular season. That's fucked up

It's been that way since the NRL moved away from playing all finals games in Sydney.

Technically it's:

Week one: teams home grounds
Week two, three: regional venues

Which system do people prefer with the finals? The one we have now or the old McIntyre system?
They both have their flaws but I like the current system better overall.

In McIntyre too much stems on things out of your control. In 2004 I think it was, Dragons played Panthers in 4th vs 5th in a really tight affair, I think it was decided by a field goal. Because the 2nd placed Bulldogs and 3rd placed Broncos lost, the Dragons were eliminated and Penrith went straight to a prelim! The difference between winning and losing that single game was enormous and caused by factors out of the control of the two teams.

It's been that way since the NRL moved away from playing all finals games in Sydney.

Technically it's:

Week one: teams home grounds
Week two, three: regional venues

That's a good point but not really what I'm talking about. Despite coming second, the Panthers next game is considered an away game going by that picture and the Chooks who finished 6th but won the first week are considered the home team.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.